Console or PC Gamer: Steam Deck Pre-Order Survey

Have you pre-ordered/reserved a Steam Deck?

• Yes, the $399 eMMC model.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, the $529 256GB NVMe model.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Yes, the $649 512GB NVMe model.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Waiting for technical reviews before deciding purchase.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Not interested!

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
Just wondering how many console or PC gamers have pre-ordered/reserved a Steam Deck. If so, which model?

Current hands-on reviews.

Last edited:
The nice thing is that it's much cheaper and also faster than it's "competitors". Well, sorta. It is much cheaper and it is faster. But Proton still needs work with regard to game compatibility as FH5 shows. Mostly great, but with enough inconsistency that the game experience is compromised.

Will be interesting once it's out and people put Windows 11 on it and then see how games perform in Win11 on that. Compatibility will obviously be better, but Win11 will have higher overhead.

Also pretty cool that whatever they are doing WRT MicroSD, load times with MicroSD are pretty good.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Also, another thing to consider. Since Microsoft are putting all their 1st party exclusives on PC, this basically functions like a portable Xbox. :p

So, from a console pricing standpoint (well, for the eMMC version with the MUCH slower storage pool), if you want to play Microsoft's exclusives, you have XBS-S (299 USD), XBS-X (499 USD) and Steam Deck (399 USD). :p I guess the 256 GB NVME version is only 30 USD more than the XBS-X, so that sorta eeks into the console pricing envelope. :p

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Also, another thing to consider. Since Microsoft are putting all their 1st party exclusives on PC, this basically functions like a portable Xbox. :p

So, from a console pricing standpoint, if you want to play Microsoft's exclusives, you have XBS-S, XBS-X and Steam Deck. :p

Regards,
SB

4D chess... :yep2:

I have a 256gb preordered (likely one of the earliest batches) but I'm undecided on going through with it. I like it from a hardware specs stand point in terms of value but the form factor actually isn't really for me. I'm more interested in the types of games that would play better in a tablet form factor, along with other types of usages, than more fps/tps/platformer type games that this form factor is better for if I'm playing on the go. Also the general large size seems potentially a bit unwieldy for where I'd use it.

Also I feel a bit aggrieved that that they revealed the details regarding swapping SSDs with respect to the 64GB eMMC version after initial preorders, it all seems a bit too much like upselling people to the higher margin 256gb and 512gb models by doing that. That information would've heavily influenced which one I picked but it's too late to change unless on wanted massive wait times.

Given what the wait times seem to be and the other trends in the market I personally feel either you get in early (at least for me) or just pass on it (or at least wait for deep sales). Waiting for post launch to buy and potentially not getting one for a year just doesn't seem worth it by then.

Also pretty cool that whatever they are doing WRT MicroSD, load times with MicroSD are pretty good.

If it's just based on the single test in that Linus video that's too small of a sample size and limited test. SSDs don't even load much faster (if you compare it that way) against 5400 rpm hard drives.

If it's just based on the single test in that Linus video that's too small of a sample size and limited test. SSDs don't even load much faster (if you compare it that way) against 5400 rpm hard drives.

MicroSD's are typically REALLY slow loading games or most applications. On laptops and especially Windows tablets, I would install Steam games to MicroSD to save on the more performant and valuable internal storage. And there's a reason I typically only install indie games or small games. The load times in games on MicroSD are MUCH MUCH longer.

I've never had an experience even remotely like what they showed in the LTT video WRT game loading on MicroSD even when compared to the really slow 2.5" 5400 RPM HDDs (even slower than desktop 3.5" 5400 RPM HDDs) you would typically find in laptops when they still used HDDs.

That said, it might be close to eMMC, which can sometimes be even slower than a 5400 RPM HDD, but I'm pretty sure that LTT were shipped the top end 512 GB NVME model. Although hopefully eMMC is faster now than it was a few years ago (my last eMMC tablet was from over 5 years ago).

Regards,
SB

So, from a console pricing standpoint (well, for the eMMC version with the MUCH slower storage pool), if you want to play Microsoft's exclusives, you have XBS-S (299 USD), XBS-X (499 USD) and Steam Deck (399 USD). :p I guess the 256 GB NVME version is only 30 USD more than the XBS-X, so that sorta eeks into the console pricing envelope. :p

The Steam Deck is a handheld/portable gaming device, for many, or dare i say most, thats more important then higher settings, framerates and load times. As per the DF direct yesterday, it made the Switch a very popular gaming device.
It's quite a small device for what it is, if one can run all Steam games on it, or even better, W11 or some other OS, its even beginning to be tempting for me. Its a nice handheld gaming pc.

It seems the biggest complaints among youtubers/bloggers are battery life, screen clarity, and color reproduction. I can live with the battery life, but poor color reproduction might be a sticking point for me (buuuutttt, I'm a tech junky who loves these types of things).

I have a 256gb preordered (likely one of the earliest batches) but I'm undecided on going through with it. I like it from a hardware specs stand point in terms of value but the form factor actually isn't really for me. I'm more interested in the types of games that would play better in a tablet form factor, along with other types of usages, than more fps/tps/platformer type games that this form factor is better for if I'm playing on the go. Also the general large size seems potentially a bit unwieldy for where I'd use it.

Also I feel a bit aggrieved that that they revealed the details regarding swapping SSDs with respect to the 64GB eMMC version after initial preorders, it all seems a bit too much like upselling people to the higher margin 256gb and 512gb models by doing that. That information would've heavily influenced which one I picked but it's too late to change unless on wanted massive wait times.

Given what the wait times seem to be and the other trends in the market I personally feel either you get in early (at least for me) or just pass on it (or at least wait for deep sales). Waiting for post launch to buy and potentially not getting one for a year just doesn't seem worth it by then.

The SSD swap still isn't great , you have to remove some stuff and then find an ssd that fits. I'm just glad to have bought it already done at 256gigs. When 1 or 2TB drives become cheap enough I will purchase one.

It seems the biggest complaints among youtubers/bloggers are battery life, screen clarity, and color reproduction. I can live with the battery life, but poor color reproduction might be a sticking point for me (buuuutttt, I'm a tech junky who loves these types of things).

Yes I would rather they had gotten rid of the $400 model and just produced the 256gig with a better screen , perhaps oled like the switch

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if developers are complaining that their games run on the Steam Deck? After all we had so many rumors of developers complaining about having to have their game run on XBS-S and the Steam Deck has much worse hardware. :p

Unrelated to the above. I have heard quite a few developers heaping high praise on the Steam Deck as it works well, runs games well, and more importantly brings PC gaming down to a much more affordable price.

Regards,
SB

It is bigger than I expected. I preordered 512GB version and does not plan to cancel though.

I wish there was Windows Game Pass edition, or even more - pure separate Xbox OS (that now uses Win11) that could be installed on this device.

It is bigger than I expected. I preordered 512GB version and does not plan to cancel though.

I wish there was Windows Game Pass edition, or even more - pure separate Xbox OS (that now uses Win11) that could be installed on this device.

Owners will be able to install Windows on the device. That means that they'll also be able to install Game Pass on the device if they wanted.

The big question is how well the Steam Deck's controls work in Windows.

Regards,
SB

<sigh>

Don't hate me but I ain't interested. 1280x800 with middling framerates and an hour and a half battery life if you push it? Not for me, my old eyes aren't as good at tiny screens anymore. :yep2:

</sigh>

<sigh>

Don't hate me but I ain't interested. 1280x800 with middling framerates and an hour and a half battery life if you push it? Not for me, my old eyes aren't as good at tiny screens anymore. :yep2:

</sigh>

Up to 8 hours if you play less demanding indie games or emulators. That's what a lot of people are planning to use it for. But they still have the option of running AAA games on the go if they wanted.

From an indie game standpoint, this might actually have a lot more battery life than the Nintendo Switch which is currently the go-to handheld for mobile indie game playing for most people.

I don't currently plan on getting one either, but I do find the device to be pretty impressive. There might come a time when I'll feel a desire to stop using the NSW for mobile indie gaming. If that time comes then the Steam Deck would be a natural replacement.

Regards,
SB

Back