DS or PSP

Wich one you prefer

• Total voters
If you think having a map on a second screen is revolution :p You should have bought a VMU and saved yourself 5 years.

I hate Sony (disgruntled DC fan) but the PSP is just incredible.. the DS has poor graphics and promised a gaming revolution, but provided worse graphics than a last gen console added to an immature design. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't make false promises.

PSP without a doubt.

It is an extremely powerful piece of hardware.

It is stylish.

It has analog control.

It has games from all of my favorite franchises.

It has an absolutely killer screen.

It gets my vote :D

PSP! I like Nintendo's ideas for the DS, but my biggest problem with the DS is, that it is not as good with 3D as the GBA was/is with 2D. I've watched all the movies and checked out the screenshots, IMHO the DS's abilities are somewhere between SNES's Super FX Chip and Sega's Saturn, almost like the DS's graphics are aged badly, before it even hit the shops. WLAN/WiFi? PSP got that too. DS? Wait for PSP devs to copy that idea with splitting the 16:9 screen into a DS. Touch screen, neat for people who have no problem with fatty finger prints all over it. IMHO the strongest selling points of the DS will be it's price and Nintendo's games. Just my 0.02$

I'm more interested in DS, better games IMO.

DS ones I want to play.
Mario (both)
Zelda
Metroid
Animal Crossing (portable animal crossing!!!)
Pac-man
Bomberman

PSP ones I want to play
Wipeout
GT Mobile

I think PSP will win here, B3D is basically the targeted audience of this thing (gadget freaks and geeks) ;)

I voted PSP, as the choice is only between a DS and a PSP.

PSP is more like a gadget than a gaming machine to me, I am not saying I won't play games on it, but it will be rare as I don't play games nor listen to music nor watch a movie on the go. I'd rather watch the surroundings or sleep (for long trip) when I am travelling.

I have only played my GBA games on the GB Player, ha ha ! Only my son will play games on the GBA SP.

I selected it because it is very stylish and I think it will have the peripherials that fit me. Indeed, I think a good Linux PDA with 3G and tri-band GSM/PCS mobile support may suit me more than the PSP.

I voted DS, not because it's that great, but because I really can't see the point in the PSP if it only has a 2.5hour battery life! I think battery life is what's made the GameBoy so successful over the years, cos if you think about it there has been a large number of technically far superior machines that have failed and large part of that is due to them eating through batteries like a sexophile eats through rice paper panties!
You only need look at the Lynx, Nomad, Gamegear, NeoGeo pocket and each one was far better than the Nintendo equivalent, but all suffered from short battery life.
2.5 hours is just about long enough to watch a decent film!

Oh wait, I miss the following voting options:

-GCP (Game Cube Portable) for 100US$
-Sega/Sammy handheld, PPM (Portable Pachinko Machine)

... just kidding :LOL:

thop said:
I think PSP will win here, B3D is basically the targeted audience of this thing (gadget freaks and geeks) ;)

In fact, nokia decided to launch the ngage after having won the B3D poll : GBA vs Ngage :LOL:

Anyway, even if I will have both, I vote DS.

bbot said:
Can I vote for Portable Media Center? ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/products/portablemediacenters/default.mspx

It looks so much like PSP.

These are touted as "iPod killers" but there's a lot of doubt about whether portable video would ever catch on as big as portable music.

Steve Jobs has resisted calls for adding video to the iPod, saying people watch movies once or twice at a time but they will listen to music hundreds or thousands of times because they can do other things while listening to music, such as drive.

Portable video is a solution in search of a need.

WLAN/WiFi? PSP got that too.

I really wonder about this. Will the DS really have WLAN or Internet online games as we understand them?

Or is it more LAN or virtual link cable that the DS games which use the wireless capabilities will take advantage of?

Because Nintendo has shown no interest in online gaming for the GC, which would require setting up matchmaking servers. Whereas if they design DS games to simply use the Wifi capabilities for what would be link games, they wouldn't have to set up servers.

DS, hands down. Battery/price/durability/(fun games? don't know yet but IMO it's likely DS will be the winner here also).

hm... PSP.I just fail to see what inovation will come from dual screen,excepted 'jerky eye' troubles for our kids ...

wco81 said:
WLAN/WiFi? PSP got that too.

I really wonder about this. Will the DS really have WLAN or Internet online games as we understand them?

Or is it more LAN or virtual link cable that the DS games which use the wireless capabilities will take advantage of?

Because Nintendo has shown no interest in online gaming for the GC, which would require setting up matchmaking servers. Whereas if they design DS games to simply use the Wifi capabilities for what would be link games, they wouldn't have to set up servers.

I would guess they'll try using the wireless as a bridge to online games.

I.e. you won't HAVE to pay to play with your friends using the "virtual link", but you'll have to pay for world-wide access.

That would make sense IMO, as it's right between the rarely used LAN features (hard to setup - multiple TV sets etc) and the internet online games (hard to get gamers paying for a good service).

Add to that the option for game sharing. They've put that feature for a reason...

Back