DS or PSP

Wich one you prefer

• Total voters
Me: £350 for my PS2. That is $618.31 today.
While it was selling for $299 in the States.

Ok, the dollar is much weaker now than it was 3-4 years ago, but u get my point.

if you think about it, i (and a lot of others) paid at current rate 550EURO for my launch PS2 .... so a 299euro psp could be still possible

I don't think a 1 to 1 conversion would even be a bad thing in the rest of Europe. As $300 = 250 Euro's anyway. So 299 Euro's would actually be fair since it would include tax.

bryanb said:
Again, you just aren't getting it.

(1) The tiny radar on MP in no way compares to a separate map screen. Besides its just a radar, not a map. Have you ever actually played MP?

Ty said:
Anyhow I went back to MP and yes, enemies DO appear on the radar but no, it does not show a minimap of the surrounding area.

I clearly stated that I went back to MP.

bryanb said:
(2) Due to screen size limitation the mini-map approach makes no sense on the DS.

Ty said:
Is it as useful as a full screen map that is up 24/7? No, of course not. Does it necessarily equate to compelling? No, of course not.

bryanb said:
Why are these basic and obvious facts impossible for you to grasp? I think you know you are wrong and you just posting for posting sake.

Yes. It is plainly obvious that a second screen (situated above a lower one because your eyes are laid on your face that way - great ergonomics) is the only way to compensate for a small screen. At which point the natural counterargument is, use a bigger screen.

Extrapolating your arguments, Nintendo should make a 56 button portable that also has about a dozen postage stamp sized touch screens. ;)

Well seeing how america is the biggest market for video games they might want to keep the price lower here to sell more units :)

Ty said:
bryanb said:
Again, you just aren't getting it.

(1) The tiny radar on MP in no way compares to a separate map screen. Besides its just a radar, not a map. Have you ever actually played MP?

Ty said:
Anyhow I went back to MP and yes, enemies DO appear on the radar but no, it does not show a minimap of the surrounding area.

I clearly stated that I went back to MP.

Then why did you originally post using the text "radar/minimap"? It clearly isn't a minimap. It is a barely functional radar that in no way compares to the benefits a second map screen on which you can see enemies outside of the dimensions of that tiny little radar as well as information that is not visible in the FPS screen.

Again, you are wrong. You know you are wrong.

Ty said:
bryanb said:
(2) Due to screen size limitation the mini-map approach makes no sense on the DS.

Ty said:
Is it as useful as a full screen map that is up 24/7? No, of course not. Does it necessarily equate to compelling? No, of course not.

bryanb said:
Why are these basic and obvious facts impossible for you to grasp? I think you know you are wrong and you just posting for posting sake.

Extrapolating your arguments, Nintendo should make a 56 button portable that also has about a dozen postage stamp sized touch screens. ;)

You meant to say "hyperbolating your argument". What I will have in the DS is a slick 6 button portable with six or more dynamic buttons that do away a bit with with sucky subscreen navigation and Dpad menu selection.

Look Ty, it's not that complicated. A handheld should be small, so it fits in a pocket, but we also want the screen area to be as large as possible. The way to solve that conflict of desires is to make the machine foldable. Unfortunately no current screen type is foldable, so why not have a second screen for miscellaneous stuff, keeping the main screen free to display the game only, and thereby seem bigger?

bryanb said:
Then why did you originally post using the text "radar/minimap"?

Because I THOUGHT it did have this function (which is why I asked in the first place and did NOT state it as fact).

bryanb said:
It clearly isn't a minimap. It is a barely functional radar that in no way compares to the benefits a second map screen on which you can see enemies outside of the dimensions of that tiny little radar as well as information that is not visible in the FPS screen.

Yes but as I pointed out, if the argument is about screen space, adding a second screen is NOT the only option and many games combine a radar/minimap into one element quite successfully.

bryanb said:
Again, you are wrong. You know you are wrong.

I was certainly wrong in my assumption about a Radar/Minimap in MP but because I wasn't sure about it in the first place I asked.

bryanb said:
You meant to say "hyperbolating your argument".

You mean, "hyperbolizing".

bryanb said:
What I will have in the DS is a slick 6 button portable with six or more dynamic buttons that do away a bit with with sucky subscreen navigation and Dpad menu selection.

I truly am happy for you. I'll probably get one too if they use the screen for more than just a map - back to square one folks!

Squeak,

You meant to reply to me I believe.

Ty said:
bryanb said:
Then why did you originally post using the text "radar/minimap"?

Because I THOUGHT it did have this function (which is why I asked in the first place and did NOT state it as fact).

Wait, there IS a minimap on the upper right corner of MP! I found it usable in the elevators, foreseeing where the next door will turn out to be.

That said I'd love to see a combined radar and 3-D map of the whole room in MP:Hunters, that would be awesome (even if it's not revolutionary).

Wait which screen is the main screen. Top or botom ?

I hope its the top as i can then fold /bend the upper part so the screen is in the best postion for me .

Thats what i really liked about the sp.

jvd said:
Wait which screen is the main screen. Top or botom ?

I hope its the top as i can then fold /bend the upper part so the screen is in the best postion for me .

Thats what i really liked about the sp.

In Metroid Prime: Hunters? I believe it's the bottom one.

Top would be better in most cases, I agree with that... they must have chosen this setup because of the specific controls of the game - you have to actually tap on your target to shoot at it, and it's the bottom screen that is a touch-screen.

About the inflated GB numbers, yeah but that only shows that people love the thing so much they are willing to keep buying it if they break it even 10 times. Still a point against Sony. How many would re-buy PSP 4 times??
how many people bought psx and ps2 multiple times?
c:

depends on how you define success. sure, some other systems have achieved success in the niche videogame market, but nothing like the mass appeal of the ps1. here's an example. here in the US i can walk into a grocery store and they have a handfull of ps1 titles for sale. i've never seen another console reach that point, nor did i expect the psx to.

I've seen the gba in more supermarkets than the psx.

other than the cart limitation the n64 was superior hardware. and the cart limitation wasn't as much of a limitation as far as achievable content was concerned (look at re2, all the fmv and voice from the psx version, although noticibly compressed). it was more cost prohibitive than anything else. and it's the "vs Sony red carpet" part of your statement that negates your argument. sure, nintendo's own mishaps might have eventualy been the undoing for n64, but it was the well marketed alternative offered by sony that drew developers and custmers away.

I heard that the n64 was pretty poorly balanced(4K of texture ram only, poor memory system), but nintendo made it worse by restricting the code developers were allowed to use.(supposendly the n64 could use code very similar to the psx, but nintendo didn't allow developers too, and the code they were left with was either inferior in the power it could utilize, or just harder to use....I saw one press release about nintendo microcode on the n64 where the initial microcode only allowed 150,000 polygons to be used, while the new microcode would allow up to 1.5 million)

BTW, n64 sold quite well in the US, I believe pretty close to the psx up until 2000, and worldwide it was selling ahead of the psx till 1998. It's really quite strange that gamecube was less US focused than n64 was, sort of like how saturn was less US focused than Genesis and partly failed because of it. Gamecube I think has done better than n64 in Japan, or at least as well, and Saturn did better in Japan or at least as well as Genesis, but at the expense of the US market.

I guess a "Dynamic UI" would be that the touch screen can display any buttons it wants, in any arrangement, and only when it needs to. If nintendo put buttons on the system, they might not be in the best arrangement for that game, they might not have a fancy border layout, they might not display the correct information on them, there may not be enough, etc.

Does anyone know what kind of short range wireless solution DS uses? Nintendo say its a proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption and works up to 100 feet. Which doesn't actually sound like BlueTooth. Anyone know exactly what this is?

Teasy said:
Does anyone know what kind of short range wireless solution DS uses? Nintendo say its a proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption and works up to 100 feet. Which doesn't actually sound like BlueTooth Anyone know exactly what this is?

Well, I guess it could be something custom made by nintendo then.....

I'd imagine it's the same as that new pokemon wireless adapter in Japan, which I think was provided by motorola and is bluetooth, say yes to me? Say no to me? Say yes.

Fox5 said:
Teasy said:
Does anyone know what kind of short range wireless solution DS uses? Nintendo say its a proprietary communication protocol, which provides low battery consumption and works up to 100 feet. Which doesn't actually sound like BlueTooth Anyone know exactly what this is?

Well, I guess it could be something custom made by nintendo then.....

I'd imagine it's the same as that new pokemon wireless adapter in Japan, which I think was provided by motorola and is bluetooth, say yes to me? Say no to me? Say yes.

that could be standart 802.11b standart using 1mwat cellsize . since it goes only 33meter, that should be it .
i don't think it's " custom"

Back