Console or PC Gamer: Steam Deck Pre-Order Survey

Have you pre-ordered/reserved a Steam Deck?

• Yes, the $399 eMMC model.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, the $529 256GB NVMe model.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Yes, the $649 512GB NVMe model.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Waiting for technical reviews before deciding purchase.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Not interested!

Votes: 14 46.7%

• Total voters
why do you need a light version on the steam deck ? Windows 11 should run just fine on it. Windows is on the aya and onexplayers already. This is just a zen 2 + rdna 2 apu from amd. They will already exist in the windows ecco system and so drivers and everything will also exist.

It is very unclear if drivers for the controller, gyro, display driver etc exists for Windows. Valve or MS can create those, but it is unclear if any of them would actually benefit from this.

It is very unclear if drivers for the controller, gyro, display driver etc exists for Windows. Valve or MS can create those, but it is unclear if any of them would actually benefit from this.

Well Guess we will know in a few weeks. Don't really seem that being an issue however.

Civ works really well on the switch. So i think it would be fine on the deck too. I'm not a big rts gamer mostly turned base. X-com is going to be awesome on this
Civ on the Switch is optimised for Switch screen sizes and resolution. You may be right, and a lot will depend on the UI of the games. I play a lot of Stellaris, Crusader Kings III and Total War and I can't see any of these working well because the 'PC' versions are predicated on a lot of precise mouse selection. Stellaris already struggles on lower-resolution screens.

I will be really happy to be proven wrong but I think I'll wait to see how things pan out in the first 12 months. I really like the concept of the SteamDeck, but I I'm not sure I'm ready to dive on in v1. If I was playing almost any other type of games, it would be an easier decision. :yep2:

We even took the Steam Deck on a plane for this review, fitting one of the key use cases in for analysis! The Steam Deck is now officially launched, although the roll-out will be over the next several months. This testing looks more at the subjective side of the controls, comfort, and button layout, plus the mixed subjective & objective software review. SteamOS and the Arch Linux base form a different foundation than Windows users are used to, so it's an interesting mix of the freedom of a PC on a device that looks like (but really isn't) a console.

00:00 - Steam Deck Software Review
01:53 - Key Points & Troubleshooting
04:21 - Managing Expectations
06:30 - Comfort & Controls
08:47 - Size & Other Physical Features
13:06 - SteamOS UI is Clumsy
18:16 - Desktop Mode
20:04 - Performance Options & Misleading Headlines
25:20 - Display & Controller Support
30:27 - Conclusion & Big Problems

Control - enhanced console settings 720p and zero issues holding 30fps +

Shadow of the Tomb Raider high settings 800p running above 30fps

Death Stranding default settings 720p 47fps average

Horizon 5 high settings 4xmsaa 720p 35fps average

Horizon zero dawn 720p original settings (matches ps4 settings) 40 fps average

Days Gone - optimized settings 800p - challenge areas with horde is really bad 18fps average with big hords

He compares it with a ryzen 4900hs which is a 35w machine but the deck can out perform it by 61%.

They then picked god of war since it had a great pc port and uncapped. Ps4 1080p hits 35fps average , steam deck 39fps @720p and 36fps @ 800p at same quality settings. 21fps at 1080p.

in death stranding @ 720p you get the same performance as a 1050 @1080p. Steam deck in doom eternal is faster @720p with ultra nightmare textures vs the 1050 @ 1080p.

Shadow of the tomb raider highest settings steam deck is faster at 720p vs the 1050@ 1080p

Maximum watts used was 27watts with a 40watt hour battery. So roughly 1h 30minute battery life at the worse .

God of war unlocked performance 25.2w/ 1:28 projected battery life
God of war system level 30fps cap/ 18.4w/2:03 projected battery life

Cup head over 6 hours of battery life

Haven't watched gamer nexus yet but it seems the worse thing about the system is the screen. hopefully with how easy it is to change a company releases a custom screen

I’ve still yet to see the email to preorder it.

I can see my 512gb NVMe reservation is showing "Your expected order availability: After Q2 2022.".

Based on the the review coverage, I know this version of the device is not for me. I don't know what quite what I expected, but I did expected more than PS4-level performance at 720-800p resolution and I really did expect a much better screen. I thought the screen might be pretty good, but lots of reviews have said it's really average. It's a shame that there was not an an OLED option.

I can see my 512gb NVMe reservation is showing "Your expected order availability: After Q2 2022.".

Based on the the review coverage, I know this version of the device is not for me. I don't know what quite what I expected, but I did expected more than PS4-level performance at 720-800p resolution and I really did expect a much better screen. I thought the screen might be pretty good, but lots of reviews have said it's really average. It's a shame that there was not an an OLED option.
Yea I think version 2 is going to be the big one. Reminds me a bit of iPad and iPad 2
The leap is enormous.

I suspect steam deck 2 will Be able to play all the games it currently cannot.

Yea I think version 2 is going to be the big one. Reminds me a bit of iPad and iPad 2
The leap is enormous.

I suspect steam deck 2 will Be able to play all the games it currently cannot.

I'm just surprised Gabe/Valve was worried about pricing especially for a device that is targeted towards the PC consumer space. Another $100 or so dollars (towards OLED screen) tacked on wouldn't hindered sales. I guess they really felt Switch (and its pricing) at some level was really their competitor within the mobile gaming space.

How would Apple's M1 (as in the Ipad), or perhaps the A15 have done performance wise in a machine like this?

I dunno the M1 is a 5nm chip so how would Van Gogh do on 5nm vs the M1 ?

I'm just surprised Gabe/Valve was worried about pricing especially for a device that is targeted towards the PC consumer space. Another $100 or so dollars (towards OLED screen) tacked on wouldn't hindered sales. I guess they really felt Switch (and its pricing) at some level was really their competitor within the mobile gaming space.

Yea I think the screen is the biggest thing knocked by all the reviewers so far. Isn't the cost between the oled switch and OG switch $15 or so cause of the screen ? I think even hitting a $450 price target would have been better if it made the screen much better.

I'm hoping with the ease of the screen removal someone will release an oled upgrade

has anyone who pre-ordered received an email to complete their transaction yet?

has anyone who pre-ordered received an email to complete their transaction yet?

I am part of Q2 gang so not yet. I believe the next batch of emails is Monday March 7th. They also said they would send emails every monday in march after so the 14th, 21st , 28th. I guess this gives them enough time for someone to decline or purchase and then ship before they see stock and offer again. In April they will go through the Quarter 2 skus the same way. I figure if a lot of Q1 people decline Q2 people may get an email in March if your lucky. Also if your worried it went to spam it should update inside of steam if you go to the steam deck preorder page , it should change to purchase or something.
d5qgfs6t92k81.jpg

Back