About the PSP vs NDS graphics chipsD

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by jackal256, Sep 9, 2020.

1. jackal256

Been reading up a lot about the DS being a super GBA with better 3D hardware, And the PSP GPU is just a mobile GS with texture compression. When dev's unlocked the 333MHz/166MHz mode could've the PSP rival the PS2 for visuals or not?. Since ready at dawn noticed it chip was 4MB edram with a 512bit that had 10.5GB/s bandwidth. Without going into more detail seems like it had enough juice to do 480p30 or 60 if pushed.

With the DS being touted as a handheld N64 i doubt it could run conker at 30fps.

2. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

Its CPU was up to 2.6Gflops vs 6.2Gflops émotion engine.
    Graphic chip could handle 34M polygons VS Graphic Synthesizer's 75M polygons.

3. jackal256

The Xbox CPU = 2gflops too, And those a raw specs without any textures/effects. On the PS2 many games peaked 15m, I highly doubt they couldn't push the PSP to 10 ~ 16m.

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Where did you find official specs for the PSP? All I can find are very high-level specs (e.g. CPU frequency, RAM/eDRAM ammount and not much more).

Per the specification, the Pentium 3 / Celeron A in the console does 4 FLOPs per cycle. At 733MHz that's ~3 GFLOPs.

5. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

Neither could N64, though.

I remember back when the DS came out there was a thread here about it's GPU compared to N64, and the consensus was that 64 was more flexible, and could be faster because DS had a hardware geometry limit that was lower than 64's, but 64 almost never reached it's potential performance because of limitations elsewhere (bandwidth, texture cache, etc) while DS could often hit it's limits because of limitations elsewhere (limited screen resolution, limited feature set, etc).

I bet a passable version of Conker could be made on DS. Some scenes may have to be reworked or turned into FMV but I think it could be done, and it might even run smoother.

Goodtwin likes this.
  6. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

took them on wikipedia, also can be found here
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2003/07/29/psp-specs-revealed

ToTTenTranz likes this.