Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Our tech is a bit different. We aren't converting our SDFs to point clouds. We are directly raytracing them. Graphics is only a small part of our tech. We focus more on gameplay and physics simulation. SDF based world presentation allows pretty nice new gameplay stuff.
So, it's only the world that is sdf? Your objects are geometry based then?
Sounds like that twin stick shooter that does all sorts of distortions on the emvironment when explosions happen.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

http://imgur.com/tkfe7Ip.gif

edit -
MetallicPerfectDuckbillcat.gif

Last edited:
That was an interesting little lecture on the creative process ...

Characters are also SDF based, but converted to point clouds because of physics simulation. Points at surface are connected to neighbors (triangles) for rendering. I might ray trace the characters as well in the future as this machinery isn't exactly cheap.

So if I get this right you have an SDF representation of your character (the shapeshifting ball of clay), but you convert it to a polygon mesh at runtime for some of the physics, rendering?

So if I get this right you have an SDF representation of your character (the shapeshifting ball of clay), but you convert it to a polygon mesh at runtime for some of the physics, rendering?
Character is also a SDF (or a blend of multiple SDFs, in case of morphing). Every time the character SDF is changed, a compute shader runs that generates points on the surface (up to 16384 points). These points are used in particle physics simulation. The current rendering algorithm connects these points and renders the shape as triangles. We might render the character as point clould (like Dreams) or ray trace the SDF directly in the future. Fluid particles are also converted to SDF (volume texture) every frame and ray traced (primary, shadow, AO).

Please ask future Claybook tech question in the Claybook thread (https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/claybook-xo-ps4-pc.60093/). Don't want to steal Media Molecule Dreams thread for discussing our game.

Last edited:
Character animation looks pretty good and versatile. Hope it isn't too much effort to set up! And I hope it's not glitchy. I expect a game like this could be very glitchy, as LBP was. So tempered expectations and excitement. ;)

The music composition capabilities alone have me excited for sure. And I really look forward to VR in some shape or form of course. Also really hope being able to export 3D models to maybe even other game engines is in and works well.

Other than that though, I’m ready to forget about the game again until there’s a beta released or something like that. ;)

I'm very interested to see what will game community come up with.

I always believed that Sony had a spark of something with PS Home on PS3, but that space was hard to get into and offered not much creative freedom. The best case scenario for unleashing the creativity of the userbase is by baking in support for community creation in the console's OS, like placing a Dreams/Terraria link to a specfic hub inside the menus that poppup when you hover over any game icon in the PS4 main menu. Can you imagine what could be created if such easily reachable community spaces existed? [well, Dreams levels for Wolfenstein games would sure be something...]

Back