Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

Yes, target was Paris Game Show at the end of the year and perhaps starting beta a little before that. The now following messages suggests that the game is coming along.

How? Levels can't be Pro exclusive, and you can't change the art style of a creation by adding more splats or similar on the Pro. It needs to be identical. Probably would scalle framerate nicely though, so 60 fps instead of 30. Although I'd like to see framerates selectable for a Dream to capture animation styles.

New screen from Media Molecule's Tweeter.
https://twitter.com/mediamolecule?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author
2wd7QxO.jpg

What I would love to experience from this game is micro section of gameplay similar to Flower and journey wiith all those creative aspect of whatever any players can come up with that's what i' m feeling from the first reveal trailer. I had that vibe of ThatGamecompany kind of artistic style combined with unique simple visual experience. It's that kind of game I wouldn't mind just watching a cinematic sequence or short animated movie of 5 minutes. But I do hope the commplexity of the tools allowed to create the worlds won't be too overwhelming. Well I even never tried to create a level in LBP but did enjoy some of the levels from the community.

But I do hope the commplexity of the tools allowed to create the worlds won't be too overwhelming.
That is the big issue. The more complex and open the engine, in theory the more complex the tools need to be. And if you automate a lot, you can hamper the creative vision. LBP3 was free with PS+ recently and when I looked at those tools, they were just too overwhelming for me to care about giving something new a try.

Unity and UE4 are that easy to use? I find it hard to believe, never heard such a suggestion before
heh, yea it's a little misleading.
but UE4 and Unity are very easy to use (I mean when you really break it down, they're great tools for hobbyists) and you can get away with quite a bit without needing to code. But not as simple as this ;)

That is the big issue. The more complex and open the engine, in theory the more complex the tools need to be. And if you automate a lot, you can hamper the creative vision. LBP3 was free with PS+ recently and when I looked at those tools, they were just too overwhelming for me to care about giving something new a try.

Actually they have some really cool levels that are fun to play and teach you the mechanics as well.

From the looks of things though Dreams is really something else. In LBP you could do some 3D stuff already but you were limited in what kind of art/models you were going to use and it was 3D presented through a 2D toolkit. Dreams looks a lot more intuitive.

Actually they have some really cool levels that are fun to play and teach you the mechanics as well.

From the looks of things though Dreams is really something else. In LBP you could do some 3D stuff already but you were limited in what kind of art/models you were going to use and it was 3D presented through a 2D toolkit. Dreams looks a lot more intuitive.

Yeah, if I can make levels in LBP it can't be that hard (not tried LBP3 tho)! lol And as you say, I can imagine in many ways this may be even easier with move use.

In LBP3? Yeah, it's jstu the sheer amount of time needed to put something together and use all those features! Barrier to entry isn't so much the difficulty or complexity (although the complexity of LBP3 is a level above LBP2) but the amount of effort needed. I think where something like Minecraft works is the toolset is so minimal and the compromises so significant that players are happy to aim low and so achieve their goals of 'a house' or 'secret underground base'. In something really open ended it's easy for the imagination to take flight and the user to set off creating Toy Story 4 or a favourite 1980s game, lose momentum early on, and give up.

Which may not be a bad thing as it'll keep the content down to those who invest in it. ;)

In LBP3? Yeah, it's jstu the sheer amount of time needed to put something together and use all those features! Barrier to entry isn't so much the difficulty or complexity (although the complexity of LBP3 is a level above LBP2) but the amount of effort needed. I think where something like Minecraft works is the toolset is so minimal and the compromises so significant that players are happy to aim low and so achieve their goals of 'a house' or 'secret underground base'. In something really open ended it's easy for the imagination to take flight and the user to set off creating Toy Story 4 or a favourite 1980s game, lose momentum early on, and give up.

Which may not be a bad thing as it'll keep the content down to those who invest in it. ;)

With my main level (I made a few demo levels once I'd completed the main level) - I started off with the basic idea of a homage to the classic game hunchback (level called hunchsack - brilliant eh?) - anyway, that's how the level started, but as I did the first couple of bits you had to navigate my creative juices started flowing and as my skills with the toolset grew I ended up making some quite creative parts which were quite technical and required several sensors and 'fudging' to get it to work. I ended up spending around 60 hours making that level and I'm really proud, Like I said, it spawned some demo levels, the only reason I stopped making levels was even tho I pimped the hell out of my level I just could never get any serious numbers playing it so it seemed pointless - I should have added some 'hip' words or something :(

That was always a problem, getting to share content, but that's sadly the modern world. You could make the most awesome independent movie or new song and music video, stick it on Vimeo and YouTube, and have no-one watch it as they all watch the most popular content which is some stupid something often, or something from somewhere already popular. So like Life of Black Tiger 2, it gets way more coverage than good indie games because it was so rubbish. Expect some really stupid bugged something to rocket up the popularity charts as kids ROFL and rate it 10/10.

At the end of the day you either learn to create stuff because you enjoy it and don't care about sharing in which case it doesn't matter that you don't get any feedback, or you create stuff 'professionally' to try and build popularity and get feedback in which case you need to target your creations to follow suitable bandwagons. So in the case of Dreams, if you want to get noticed, recreate the opening Train scene of FFVII, or a very recent music video from the most popular song. If you create stuff just for the fun of it, or for immediate friends and family, you may get lucky. That's really where most popularity success comes from - popular YouTubers and bloggers just did what they enjoyed and got lucky.

That was always a problem, getting to share content, but that's sadly the modern world. You could make the most awesome independent movie or new song and music video, stick it on Vimeo and YouTube, and have no-one watch it as they all watch the most popular content which is some stupid something often, or something from somewhere already popular. So like Life of Black Tiger 2, it gets way more coverage than good indie games because it was so rubbish. Expect some really stupid bugged something to rocket up the popularity charts as kids ROFL and rate it 10/10.

At the end of the day you either learn to create stuff because you enjoy it and don't care about sharing in which case it doesn't matter that you don't get any feedback, or you create stuff 'professionally' to try and build popularity and get feedback in which case you need to target your creations to follow suitable bandwagons. So in the case of Dreams, if you want to get noticed, recreate the opening Train scene of FFVII, or a very recent music video from the most popular song. If you create stuff just for the fun of it, or for immediate friends and family, you may get lucky. That's really where most popularity success comes from - popular YouTubers and bloggers just did what they enjoyed and got lucky.

Rep for the Life of Black Tiger 2 reference.

Back