Dreams : create, share & play [PS4, PS5]

TEEDA

Regular
dreams_media_molecule.jpg

"Media Molecule (the creators of LittleBigPlanet and Tearaway) has announced Dreams.
Dreams is the space you go to where you go to play and experience the dreams of Media Molecule and our community. It’s also a space in which to create your own dreams, whether they’re games, art, films, music or anything in-between and beyond. Quite frankly, it’s a lovely place and we’d very much like you to visit as soon as we’re ready to accept guests".

"Using the PS4 controller as a paintbrush, players will create their own surreal scene and bring it to life using performance capture. A video was shown of user-created dreams, ranging from a polar bear and her cub playing in the snow, to a futuristic car chase, to an adorable teddy bear laying waste to a horde of zombies."

"Media Molecule showed a similar demo at the PS4’s initial reveal two years ago, but at the time, they considered the tech demo something of an experiment."

http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsSlide.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsCrash.gif

2015-06-1518-36-07jpg-bfd58d_765w.jpg

2015-06-1518-36-22jpg-a3f17c_765w.jpg

qq7rc1.png

Looks intriguing yet fantastic. I loved playing with LBP and tearaway. Though I preffered the way you could draw in their first conceptual demo with the Move controllers at the Playstation 4 reveal.
Can't wait to see more.

YEa, they had shown this creation with move and also animating the characters with Move. I guess SOny must have reminded them that they aren't really selling Move to ppl anymore so they had to come to Controller. But, yes, this was the star of the show for me ! Simple awe inspiring. I immediately shared it with all my family, an dmy wife, who paints, was mesmerized ! So was I :) !

YEa, they had shown this creation with move and also animating the characters with Move. I guess SOny must have reminded them that they aren't really selling Move to ppl anymore so they had to come to Controller. But, yes, this was the star of the show for me ! Simple awe inspiring. I immediately shared it with all my family, an dmy wife, who paints, was mesmerized ! So was I :) !

Definitely ! Same for me as drawing is one of my main hobby. Imagine the possibilities of creating your own story, your own movie and remaking or making your own cinematic. But I believe it will be more " artistic " oriented than true gameplay.
I could be wrong but if you can find a way to mix some gameplay in it that would just be totally insane. The Sci-fi with the robot just wowed me in the trailer, that sure is my universe.
And like The Tomorrow Children I would like to know more about the tech behind the game, those are just so sweet graphics.

http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsSlide.gif
http://gifyu.com/images/DreamsCrash.gif

100% compute, no rasterizer. I was waiting to see who has the balls to go first.

Who wouldn't like SDF (signed distance field) raytracing. Finally gets you rid of those "legacy" shader stages such as pixel and vertex shader. No more fighting about who has most excess ROPs or has the worst performing tessellator :)

I presume they will also support Move, and an option to create while wearing Morpheus also seems a no brainer although performance may be an issue.

I love the idea of creating my own game/cartoon but in LBP I could never stop making changes to my levels and was constantly "perfecting" them so I fear that I will have to skip Dreams because I know that I will have to dedicate myself too much to it to achieve a the results I desire.

Last edited:
I sense a lot of dreams made of flying penises will emerge from this game.

Actually you could do a lot worse in LittleBigPlanet than that already, so you can consider this a solved problem for Media Molecule, with their exemplary community features.

Can someone explain to the layman population in here what exactly they mean by 'no rasteriser' and going 100% compute?

Also, as for flying penises. Even I hadn't thought of that.

They only use ACE, ALU via compute shader. No vertex and pixel shader, no ROP, no vertex setup and razsterizer. They don't use fixed function of the GPU. Only software rendering on the GPU...

Amazing looking. The real issue is going to be how to create stuff. How do you model a geezer, and how do you rig and pose and animate him to play the piano? These things are very time consuming which is why only a handful of people (media arts students!) create animated shorts in Maya etc. Have MM managed to simplify this massively and make it accessible? I note the pianist is repeating some finger movements and isn't mapped to actually play the notes of the music. What would it take to animate to that level of detail (literally because I have a CGI animation about a pianist I've been wanting to make for a couple of years now!). Or is Dreams going to be a complex and impenetrable tool for most people? I suppose for the mainstream, it'll be more about mashing up and reworking other content.

There's also a question about efficiency of the rendering. How much stuff can be fitted in memory?

Definitely one of the few truly interesting things to come up on consoles in a long time, because it's actually different! And it's the sort of thing that'd expect of Sony to invest in without a clear and obvious market.

Amazing looking. The real issue is going to be how to create stuff. How do you model a geezer, and how do you rig and pose and animate him to play the piano? These things are very time consuming which is why only a handful of people (media arts students!) create animated shorts in Maya etc. Have MM managed to simplify this massively and make it accessible? I note the pianist is repeating some finger movements and isn't mapped to actually play the notes of the music. What would it take to animate to that level of detail (literally because I have a CGI animation about a pianist I've been wanting to make for a couple of years now!). Or is Dreams going to be a complex and impenetrable tool for most people? I suppose for the mainstream, it'll be more about mashing up and reworking other content.

There's also a question about efficiency of the rendering. How much stuff can be fitted in memory?

Definitely one of the few truly interesting things to come up on consoles in a long time, because it's actually different! And it's the sort of thing that'd expect of Sony to invest in without a clear and obvious market.

Distance Field are used on demo and are mathematical representation ;) The biggest problem is the creation tools. Curious to see what Media Molecule as done.

http://iquilezles.org/www/material/nvscene2008/nvscene2008.htm

The presentation does first introduce the four kilobytes demos produced by the demosceners. This was a good chance to show the world what amazing things demosceners are doing today, so I showed all sort of 1k and 4k intros featuring raytracing, raymarching and simiar techniques. Then I quickly introduced the conpect of raymarching into voxels, analytic surfaces, and procedural surfaces without any close analytical expression. Then I introduced the concept of distance fields as rendering acceleration technique and procedural modeling tool. This was quite a forgoten field of CG, and I like to think I somehow rebumped it by showing the making of Slisesix (the image on the right) what is computed by rendering on distance fields, and fits in 3 kilobytes (that includes the models, textures, lighting, materials, and renderer)[./quote]

http://iquilezles.org/www/articles/raymarchingdf/raymarchingdf.htm

LBP was way too complex and impenetrable for most people too. As always I really appreciate MM's efforts, but ultimately I just couldn't be bothered to use them myself. I'm a graphics designer/illustrator who likes to dabble in 3d, and the tools MM provides are simply too ass-backwards and cumbersome for someone who's used to standardized industry tools like photoshop. I'd have loved a LBP editor on my PC, though. Mouse and keyboard would have gone a long way.

They only use ACE, ALU via compute shader. No vertex and pixel shader, no ROP, no vertex setup and razsterizer. They don't use fixed function of the GPU. Only software rendering on the GPU...

This is software rendering on the GPU? Hard to believe it.

Back