Delay in Blu-Ray effect PS3?

mckmas8808 said:
Exactly. We all know HDTV and either HD-DVD or Blu-ray will be the leading may to watch movies. People buying these HDTVs will not choose to buy DVDs for years on in unless BDs and HD-DVDs cost over $30 for a long time.

Which won't happen because you can buy $25 HD-DVDs today so....

Any pricing for Bluray Movies yet?

mckmas8808 said:
Between $20 and $30.

Go here to amazon to look at all the titles and prices they have.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/16295751/ref=dp_brlad_entry/103-0390657-3678246

Not a bad price huh?

Not bad - not bad at all - especially in comparison to when DVD launched - most "premium" movies were $40. I myself payed $40 for my copy of T2 with my $550 "cheap" Sony model dvd player at launch.

We'll see - perhaps the adoption rate for hd movies won't be as slow as I once thought.

TheChefO said:
Not bad - not bad at all - especially in comparison to when DVD launched - most "premium" movies were $40. I myself payed $40 for my copy of T2 with my $550 "cheap" Sony model dvd player at launch.

We'll see - perhaps the adoption rate for hd movies won't be as slow as I once thought.

I know. Some people need to slow up on their dooms day talk about slow adoption rates on high def movies as a format.

mckmas8808 said:
I know. Some people need to slow up on their dooms day talk about slow adoption rates on high def movies as a format.
Why? There's always a chance that both high def formats will crash and burn, relegated to a niche market.

And we're about a month past the first release of a high def format and you want to declare it a success? Throw numbers around about HDTV adoption rate all day long, it doesn't give either format a free pass to widespread adoption. The HD formats still must convince the average consumer that there's a noticable difference between high def and normal widescreen DVD.

Sis said:
Why? There's always a chance that both high def formats will crash and burn, relegated to a niche market.

And we're about a month past the first release of a high def format and you want to declare it a success? Throw numbers around about HDTV adoption rate all day long, it doesn't give either format a free pass to widespread adoption. The HD formats still must convince the average consumer that there's a noticable difference between high def and normal widescreen DVD.

All I know is if HDTV adoption rates remain high then a supporting high def movie format will follow. I mean I spend an exta $700 on a high def tv over getting the non high def verision and not want to get HD movies?

I don't get it.:???:

mckmas8808 said:
All I know is if HDTV adoption rates remain high then a supporting high def movie format will follow. I mean I spend an exta $700 on a high def tv over getting the non high def verision and not want to get HD movies?

I don't get it.:???:

Well the big problem with image quality is in the TV broadcasts, I think most people are most concerned with getting quality TV signals. DVD's already look very good on HDTV's, you're not getting the huge step up that you get when going from discovery to discovery HD.

It's looking like these formats are going to hit the ground running though, I think it's going to be quite the battle.

But the difference will be noticable. And at $5 to $10 more in its infantcy I can easily see people chosing either HD-DVD or Blu-ray over DVDs (people with HDTVs of course).

kyleb said:
Beyond that, brodcast HD encodeing is crap compared to what they are doing on the optical formats.

Yeah. Although, even if HD-DVD/BR only looked as good as DiscoveryHD I don't imagine it would be a very hard sell to a healthy portion of people (especially over time as prices of players fall and marketing starts to ramp up later this year).

I'm rather happy about the prices as well, I think that was potentially a place that HD-DVD/BR could have easily shot themselves in the foot. $20-25 seems to be the common price (with the majority being at $20), and that's rather good considering these are the first titles and the prices will likely only go down over time.

Adoption of HD movies is not a question of "IF" but a question of "WHEN" (I can't see how that fact is even disputable) .. and if I had to bet my life on a format, it would be Blu-Ray.

My first BR movie will be Underworld Evolution. I'd be throwing my money away if I were to purchase the DVD because I know eventually I will end up buying the BR version anyways (esp since I know for sure that I will get PS3). The movie studios win regardless. A lot of people will continue to buy DVDs, but will someday buy the HD version of many of the same movies. I have VHS versions, LaserDisc versions and DVD versions of movies like Star Wars, Aliens, and Indiana Jones. And I will probably end up buying the BR versions of some of these. Sticking to DVD will be like sticking to your Honda when u can get the Ferrari for around the same price.

eDoshin said:
My first BR movie will be Underworld Evolution.
Kinda OT but I was wondering, is Underworld Evolution the first BR title to be advertised on tv? I keep seeing the commercial everywhere. Are there any HD-DVD movies being advertised?

scooby_dooby said:
I'm just explaining why everyone who owns an HDTV is not necessarily dying for HD movies.

No doubt, but as time goes on and prices of the players goes down there is little reason to believe that the formats won't be accepted. DVD adoption didn't happen overnight and it's not expected for the HD formats either.

The pricing of both BR and HD-DVD movies and players are substantially better than the situation that DVD offered at it's introduction. With the uptake and excitement of HDTVs I don't think I'd bet on these HD formats failing (I know you're not necessarily of that opinion, being a fellow HDTV owner).

There's a lot of momentum from things this year to help push the HD "era" -- X360/PS3, BR/HD-DVD, marketing by tv companies, floor space at retailers, Cable/Satellite, etc.

The only thing that would make this year better in regards to HD enjoyment is an HD Sci Fi channel.

Bobbler said:
The only thing that would make this year better in regards to HD enjoyment is an HD Sci Fi channel.

Yes what's up with that, not that I like to download torrents or anything, but Sci Fi's lack of HD makes Galactica rips basically useless.

They need enoug HD content and viewership to make the move worth while. Currently, Sci-Fi is mostly reruns or stuff recorded at SD resolutions.

mckmas8808 said:
But the difference will be noticable. And at $5 to $10 more in its infantcy I can easily see people chosing either HD-DVD or Blu-ray over DVDs (people with HDTVs of course).
I've used this story before: my dad bought a HD tv. When I came to visit, he made a point of putting on a football game to show off the high def capability of his set. He was incredibly proud of it.

The problem was the football game was analog SD, stretched to fit the screen. If he thinks that SD looks great, how on earth do you convince him that the DVD which looks much, much better (it isn't even stretched!) isn't really good enough?

Sis said:
I've used this story before: my dad bought a HD tv. When I came to visit, he made a point of putting on a football game to show off the high def capability of his set. He was incredibly proud of it.

The problem was the football game was analog SD, stretched to fit the screen. If he thinks that SD looks great, how on earth do you convince him that the DVD which looks much, much better (it isn't even stretched!) isn't really good enough?

lol - great story! Such is the majority consumer.

The PQ difference between a decent upscaling or progressive DVD player isn't nearly as dramatic as the difference between VHS > DVD or SD broadcasts > HD Broadcasts. You have to look for the difference, it's not night and day so I don't expect quick adoption. Eventually, once the prices drop dramatically, it'll basically be forced onto consumers and for the same price, they'll take it but don't expect people to be "Wow!"d over Hi Def DVD players as they are over SD> HD broadcasts and willing to hand over the cash for 500+ players.

Back