Dead Space Remake [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

I don't understand why many find the game so scary and shocking. Compared to Alien: Isolation it's a walk in the park for me. I was already surprised by these statements in 2008.

Yeah, the Dead Space series was never "scary" horror, it was "splatter" or "gore" horror. I always found it bemusing that some people actually thought the Dead Space games were actually scary.

Regards,
SB

I really want to buy the game but what the hell is this IQ? How could this pass QA? This is what 40 years of gaming development brought us? The guy (PS5) has simply increased brightness and got this. He noticed it immediately and is the worse thing he ever saw.

0UXP0MC.jpg

I really want to buy the game but what the hell is this IQ? How could this pass QA? This is what 40 years of gaming development brought us? The guy (PS5) has simply increased brightness and got this. He noticed it immediately and is the worse thing he ever saw.

0UXP0MC.jpg
Mishandled VRS was a mistake

Can't look at that and tell anyone just looking it's acceptable quality, it completely destroys all the detail in the environment

Even more offending that this is a wall/door right on your face. You would expect VRS to kick in on areas that are less of a priority on screen

Even more offending that this is a wall/door right on your face. You would expect VRS to kick in on areas that are less of a priority on screen
Yes i think it has to be a bug or something because it seems like the algorithm that selects the shading rate is broken. One big mess everywhere.

I've only really heard good things about game.
How bad is it on XS from normal viewing distance, Is it perfectly fine for a dark game?

PS5 does look bad, it's generally a dark game which may have meant people never noticed how bad it was?
To be honest I've not really followed apart from hearing in general that it's good.

The guy (PS5) has simply increased brightness and got this. He noticed it immediately and is the worse thing he ever saw.

Disregarding the bad VRS implementation on PS5, increasing brightness is the absolute worst thing you could possibly do. VRS when implemented well is done in areas where it shouldn't be immediately noticeable (in motion) even if it could be noticeable given enough scrutiny (screen shot). Basically it doesn't matter what it looks like in a screenshot as long as someone doesn't notice it in motion ... basically when playing the game.

So, if a developer implements it in a dark area which will inherently reduce the visibility and thus perceived quality of what's in the dark area then VRS if done well will be unnoticeable while playing the game even if it could be visible when looking at it in a screenshot. After all, nobody plays a screenshot. :p

So yeah, raising the brightness of an area that the developer meant to be dark is going to make it look exceptionally bad even disregarding the bad implementation on PS5.

Regards,
SB

PS5 does look bad, it's generally a dark game which may have meant people never noticed how bad it was?
To be honest I've not really followed apart from hearing in general that it's good.
Patch is up and read on other forum apparently fixed ps5 version.

The fix on PS5 did not lower the level of details on the textures, even the contrary on some areas. Devs have reacted very quickly here. But clearly it shows the PS5 version really needed more work to be at least comparable to the others versions.

left before patch, right after:
dead-space-comparison-ps5-bug-side-by-side.png

I have made a gif using zoomed in area. They removed the aliasing bug and made the VRS less aggressive.
FSWWtKX.gif

Link to this comparison: https://mp1st.com/news/dead-space-remake-update-graphic-fix-live-on-ps5-before-and-after-comparison

Last edited:
Any impact on performance? Or mostly a wash as they fixed other items too?

I think this shows that the limitations of software VRS are nothing that should be noticably different from hardware VRS to the end user as long as implementation is good
Whats the point of hardware VRS then? I only hear that software VRS works better

Whats the point of hardware VRS then? I only hear that software VRS works better
Probably gives more fine grained loss quality to the screen. IE does what VRS is supposed to do better.

Notice that I said "noticably" in my previous post. If both solutions give results that are essentially invisible to the user, then we can call it a wash. But that doesn't mean VRS2 isn't doing things marginally more efficiently.

It's just not something we will notice for a game that is well optimized for VRS in general because it only probably means like a few fps in actual practice.

So a well implemented VRS software solution(call of duty, dead space patched etc) is technically inferior to hardware based VRS 2 but not by enough to actually matter to the end user.

Back