Dead Space Remake [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

At it's core I don't need to know the details, but in short it's attempting to be a performance saving technique to take load and resources off the hardware like DRS.

In that case, I'd rather just have DRS and have a reconstruction technique upscale the image than a much more noticable and flawed VRS implementation that is gonna look bad both on lower end hw and even if you have a PC that is pretty decent.

Not exactly sure why they went with this approach

Curious PS5 has VRS......I wonder if they've used the old MSAA hardware trick? And if they're using the using the actual VRS hardware in Series consoles or the same method they're using on PS5.

Eeesh... this runs like junk on my PC. Stuttering everywhere. Not sure how you release something like this. I'm not playing any more until a patch comes out that either addresses this crap or I'm refunding.

Nothing wrong with forcing VRS. Just like there’s nothing wrong with forcing culling or anisotropic filtering or other smart optimizations. It just needs to work.
Call of duty has a form of software VRS as well.

Developers will need to chime in on what’s going on. Since settings are locked it makes it impossible to know what’s causing the major issues in their pipeline

Eeesh... this runs like junk on my PC. Stuttering everywhere. Not sure how you release something like this. I'm not playing any more until a patch comes out that either addresses this crap or I'm refunding.
The game added last minute denuvo DRM, could be related to some stuttering perf issues on pc

It seems significant enough for John to talk about it so

Yes but I wonder how we get to the point of “disable vrs on every platform” and what is this based on. Is it a single tweet from John where he says that both versions are identical with slight difference on vrs implementation? Is this the root cause of this hysteria?

Maybe there's just something with AMD cpus and the stuttering I'm getting everywhere??

I know I don't have a cutting edge CPU, but it should easily be able to handle this game at 60fps locked... and yet I'm just getting massive stuttering turning the camera and crossing through doors. Can't say if its shader related or not.. it's weirdly erratic.. sometimes there, sometimes not.. and then sometimes comes back again.

I'm watching Maximillian's stream and it looks smooth as hell, but he's on a 12900K I believe..

Ugh.. I'm not going to waste time testing the game constantly while it uses up my 2 hours so then I can't refund. I'm going to wait for the first patch.. if it doesn't fix the issues, I'm refunding it.

Without DLSS the game flickers considerably less. DLSS is not an alternative for me in Dead Space in terms of picture quality. VRS must be deactivatable and then maybe DLSS will work again.

The frame rate fluctuates. Sometimes it suddenly drops massively and then returns to normal after a few seconds. The graphics card is supposed to be at 99% utilisation but at 250 to 270 watts it is about 80 watts below the maximum amount of power.

Graphically Dead Space has been improved considerably and looks like an up-to-date game. But it could use more ray tracing next to RTAO. However, Callisto Protocol looks much better. Next to Cyberpunk 2077 Callisto Protocol is the best looking game right now. For characters even the best. In terms of characters Dead Shace is far behind Callisto Protocol.

Last edited:
Call of duty has a form of software VRS as well.

Developers will need to chime in on what’s going on. Since settings are locked it makes it impossible to know what’s causing the major issues in their pipeline
It's like different kind of AA implementations. You can have a bad FXAA (1/9), from SMAA (5/10) to Insomniac TAA (9/10). Call of duty VRS is very subtle, without artefacts as they have actually done a paper about it to show how they did with images comparisons and such.

They also said software VRS was better as it allowed to have a much finer and precise implementation avoiding artefacts (not possible with hardware RDNA2 VRS). So the problem is not hardware vs software, it's just a bad implementation on all platforms, including PC.

Yes but I wonder how we get to the point of “disable vrs on every platform” and what is this based on. Is it a single tweet from John where he says that both versions are identical with slight difference on vrs implementation? Is this the root cause of this hysteria?

The complaints are coming from everywhere. Not just John but PC players complaining about muddy graphics even at high resolutions and settings, and console users of both platforms who think the game looks poor in performance mode.

The resolution at worst is supposedly just under 1080p which while somewhat soft, is still high enough that it isn't going to give the subpar results seen here, especially in a dark game like this with the temporal resolution of the 60fps being double.

And there is no reconstruction going on either, only VRS. So, it must come down to the implementation of the VRS they have like the TAA implementation Horizon had which gave bad results.

It needs to be looked at by Motive.

It's like different kind of AA implementations. You can have a bad FXAA (1/9), from SMAA (5/10) to Insomniac TAA (9/10). Call of duty VRS is very subtle, without artefacts as they have actually done a paper about it to show how they did with images comparisons and such.

They also said software VRS was better as it allowed to have a much finer and precise implementation avoiding artefacts (not possible with hardware RDNA2 VRS). So the problem is not hardware vs software, it's just a bad implementation on all platforms, including PC.
Hopefully this means they are looking into it

Last edited:
I bought Dead Space because otherwise people always complain that there is no new Dead Space or only few single-player games and now they have the opportunity to promote them. If I don't support it it feels wrong.
I'd also like more science fiction horror in film and video games. Event Horizon, Alien, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Life, The Thing, etc. I find them all well realised and interesting in terms of scenario. I would like to see more big budget films that are like Alien: Covenant, Callisto Protocol or Dead Space.

Now I am playing Dead Space in native UHD. The picture quality could be better but it looks worlds better than with DLSS. Hopefully more patches will come.

I don't understand why many find the game so scary and shocking. Compared to Alien: Isolation it's a walk in the park for me. I was already surprised by these statements in 2008.

Last edited:
I bought Dead Space because otherwise people always complain that there is no new Dead Space or only few single-player games and now they have the opportunity to promote them. If I don't support it it feels wrong.
I'd also like more science fiction horror in film and video games. Event Horizon, Alien, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant, Life, The Thing, etc. I find them all well realised and interesting in terms of scenario. I would like to see more big budget films that are like Alien: Covenant, Callisto Protocol or Dead Space.

Now I am playing Dead Space in native UHD. The picture quality could be better but it looks worlds better than with DLSS. Hopefully more patches will come.

I don't understand why many find the game so scary and shocking. Compared to Alien: Isolation it's a walk in the park for me. I was already surprised by these statements in 2008.
Because you have nerves of steel Jupiter 😂 but to be honest I felt the same about the original game on 360. The original PS1 resident evils and remake 1 and 2 felt much scarier than dead space for me.

Probably because they don't rely much on jump scares as opposed to atmosphere with the camera angles, music and ambient sounds whereas dead space, atleast in the original everything is scripted so it's easy to realize when a scenario is being set up

I don’t see many folks saying it’s scary. You basically blast and cut your way through everything in a hulking suit which dulls the tension a bit.

Noted
The complaints are coming from everywhere. Not just John but PC players complaining about muddy graphics even at high resolutions and settings, and console users of both platforms who think the game looks poor in performance mode.

The resolution at worst is supposedly just under 1080p which while somewhat soft, is still high enough that it isn't going to give the subpar results seen here, especially in a dark game like this with the temporal resolution of the 60fps being double.

And there is no reconstruction going on either, only VRS. So, it must come down to the implementation of the VRS they have like the TAA implementation Horizon had which gave bad results.

It needs to be looked at by Motive.

Hopefully this means they are looking into it

Noted. I haven’t seen any complains in my tweeter feed and Reddit seems to be quiet about that. And since b3d ( or rather some users here) has been very critical about VRS in the past I had my doubts about origin of those claims. Hopefully we will get DF vid that looks into this.

The game stutters more and more. At first it started badly at the point where the spaceship explodes. After that it also stuttered in many places such as cutscenes, when he places and detonates the bomb and the hospital ward. I had 10 fps there at 10:14:

When it uses about 90% of the VRAM it mostly stutters. If it uses around 80 % then probably not. Whether it's related to that I don't know.

EDIT:

Played some cutscnes at 1080p and the framerate did not drop that much

Last edited:
Back