Dead Space Remake [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Here is an intresting video
(8) Dead Space Remake - Patch 1.03 - PS5 - Graphical Issues Fixed? - YouTube

I have to say i am confused as this doesn't look anything as bad as the images we saw before.

View attachment 8256

View attachment 8255

View attachment 8254

hmmm this is from PS5 version after VRS fix.
These are images are primarily of directly lit bright surfaces - that is not where VRS even applies so the comparison is not even showing the area of difference in general.

“got the update, i turned up the brightness and looked up at the ceiling and darker areas...

definitely improved, a lot less blurry and jaggy. need a digital foundry to do a video asap!”

Yeah we need DF vid asap because this sounds bizarre

“got the update, i turned up the brightness and looked up at the ceiling and darker areas...

definitely improved, a lot less blurry and jaggy. need a digital foundry to do a video asap!”

Yeah we need DF vid asap because this sounds bizarre
Yeah so this is pretty much confirmed why some people didn't notice any issues at all. Seems like without cranking brightness to 100% is basically very hard to spot any VRS issues.

Famous shot at 50% brightness.
Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 16.17.31.png

And the same spot at 100% brightness.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 16.17.45.png

Now who the hell play game like this? Cranking brightness to 100% destroys IQ already VRS artefacts are just cherry on the cake.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 16.19.24.png

There is another issue i spoted, PS5 version seems to be suffering from not deblocking software VRS imo.

"Software-Based VRS also has some trade-offs including implementation complexity and the overhead of a de-blocking pass."

Those two shots presents very sharp un aliased edges. In the shots below "the arms" above "no power" sign are perfectly smooth on XSX while very aliased on Ps5.
Not sure if ia m right here or not just something that crossed my mind.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 16.19.51.png

Anyway, i think that the whole drama is over reaction and over dramatisation. When playing normally is almost impossible to spot the difference.

If it was overreaction people would not have spotted it prior to John mentioning it and pointing it out on console and PC both with an option to disable it on PC in particular. Just because some people don't think it's a big deal doesn't mean it's not something worth looking into. Same with horizon performance mode.

It would be nice if people simply allowed devs to take critisism instead of trying to downplay it as if it's nothing

If it was overreaction people would not have spotted it prior to John mentioning it and pointing it out on console and PC both with an option to disable it on PC in particular. Just because some people don't think it's a big deal doesn't mean it's not something worth looking into. Same with horizon performance mode.

It would be nice if people simply allowed devs to take critisism instead of trying to downplay it as if it's nothing

I am not trying to downplay it at all. If people think that this is an issue then they should raise attention to the devs for sure. But the problem here is that this seems to be barerly noticeable without changing brightness to 100% procent.
So if the pitch black place that should not be visible suddenly shows issues when changing brightness is this an issue or not?
Maybe this is what devs wanted in first place. Let’s save some performance by lowering precision in pitch black places.

Some people call it night and day difference. I am surprised that anyone can tell difference at all.

People notice different things in different ways my friend. As long as the game is improved for all users that should be all that matters no?

Some people notice fps drops and framepacing others don't. But it's still something that devs should be improving

People notice different things in different ways my friend. As long as the game is improved for all users that should be all that matters no?

Some people notice fps drops and framepacing others don't. But it's still something that devs should be improving

Of course I am not arguing with you. But there is one thing to say I’m not fully happy with how game look and the game is ruined.
I am just saying that it looks like over reaction. That’s all.

Experiment :
At some point in the game you'll get a cutscene introducing a new type of creature, on that brings corpses back to life.
slightly later you'll step off a train and notice a room full of bodies grab the bodies and throw them onto the train tracks so they cant be re-animated tell me what happens next time you pass that room.

The developers proved me wrong. Some sections were more ambitious and in the last two chapters I found this game visually highly mpressive. Especially the outstanding volumetric effects, particle effects. subsurface scattering and the play with light and shadow. Design-wise I find some places beautiful in their own way.

Technically they need to improve a few things with the transversal stutters and VRAM use. VRS was fortunately deactivated after a patch and DLSS could be used well.

I can recommend the Dead Space remake from an artistic and gameplay point of view. It's a new interpretation and by no means just a graphical overhaul.

EDIT:
As a big fan of some of the Alien films I also liked the music which was inspired by the Alien films in some places. The sound of this game was also top-notch.

Last edited:
So if the pitch black place that should not be visible suddenly shows issues when changing brightness is this an issue or not?

Not an issue at all. In fact those optimizations are very welcome. By all means please shade near pitch black areas at 1/4 resolution. I thought the initial complaints were based on people just playing the game though and the zoomed in shots with brightness cranked to the heavens came after.

Not an issue at all. In fact those optimizations are very welcome. By all means please shade near pitch black areas at 1/4 resolution. I thought the initial complaints were based on people just playing the game though and the zoomed in shots with brightness cranked to the heavens came after.
They were. People were complaining before they were pointed out by John who brightened the footage to show the actual problem clearly

Back