Wild Hearts [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

This is a huge jump for the toukiden team who previously only worked on power budget projects. Hopefully it works out for them

"There are more weapons and kemono coming to Wild Hearts for free post-launch, and it's possible a year from now a fattened-up bestiary will make for a much more elegant sense of progression. But right now Wild Hearts' problems run deeper than too few monsters: Dire PC performance makes me wonder why this game didn't have a few more months to cook. On an Intel Core i5-13600K and RTX 3070 I rarely got above a consistent 60 fps at 1440p, and turning down the game's settings had little effect. Some areas in the game run especially poorly—something about the icy fourth zone would tank my framerate down into the 20s. For a PC Gamer colleague with an RTX 3060 Ti, Wild Hearts barely got above an average 30 fps at 1080p.

Wild Hearts ran poorly more often than it ran well, and that's just baseline performance. I also encountered these issues:

• Some sound effects triggering on a delay, then stopping altogether, while the music kept playing. I'd have to reload to fix this one
  • Dialogue lines occasionally playing on top of one another or fast-forwarding like I had a button held down (I didn't)
  • Once the geometry of the entire world started flickering on and off until I left the area
  • UI pop-ups occasionally getting stuck on the screen
  • Huge moments of slowdown and frequent stutters, to the point where it felt like I was doing some fights in slow motion (once or twice this was actually a little helpful, to be honest)
  • One of the final, high-level kemono had its AI glitch out, so it just sat still while I pummeled it for 10 minutes straight
Wild Hearts simply doesn't look like a game that should be pushing PCs this hard—while the environments are dense, they're often simply lit and low-res textures are abundant. Publisher EA says there are plans to address a "CPU bottleneck" and add DLSS and FSR support, but my CPU typically hovered around 40% utilization. Whatever's wrong here is on the GPU, and this game shouldn't need DLSS to hit a stable 60 fps. My attempts to play with the internal framerate limiter and the Nvidia Control Panel were unhelpful, and Wild Hearts' current "upscaling" option turns the game into a low-res, smeary mess. There's no excuse for releasing an action game that relies on quick reactions with this sort of extremely unreliable performance."

Also, Yakuza Ishin got a demo on steam couple of hours ago. I'll let you guess if it stutters or not :runaway:

Back