Dead Space Remake [PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

I just read that EA Motive is also working on an Iron Man game. What a waste of talent. The Marvel stuff is like a plague to me. Most people laughed at the stupid Forspoken dialogue but it's typical Marvel dialogue.

EA Motive Dev Team AMA @ February 3rd - 12pm PT:

But the game was developed quickly
When did development (including preproduction) start on this game?
By the way the remake has been great to play.

Official Motive Dev Team
Happy to hear that you are enjoying it! :)
We started in September 2020. Most of our dev team came from the ramp off of Star Wars Squadrons which released around that time! - Phil

Last edited:
I just read that EA Motive is also working on an Iron Man game. What a waste of talent. The Marvel stuff is like a plague to me. Most people laughed at the stupid Forspoken dialogue but it's typical Marvel dialogue.

Official Motive Dev Team
It makes sense to make something like that marvel movies make a lot of money and are successful

This stuttering in the PC version is honestly unbearable.

Make the argument about consoles having a unified memory architecture being a factor all you want... they released this game like this on PC. If you're not going to build or architect your game to work as it should properly on all the platforms it's being released on, then perhaps it shouldn't release on said platform?

"Ohh but it would take a ton of work to refactor the engine and redesign it around split memory pools and yadda yadda..." - I don't care. Not my god damn problem! If that's the case and it's SUCH a big effort to get the game working properly on PC, then don't release it. There's NO god damn reason why a modern PC shouldn't be able to easily run this game at reasonable settings.

These companies just don't give a shit, plain and simple. Push it out, sell it... possibly deal with it later if there's enough fallout. All these issues are a matter of QA... not hardware. If they cared enough, this could be fixed. Let's just fact facts.. nobody gives a shit.

The stuttering during movements is annoying and incomprehensible to me. The player moves very slowly at walking speed in a relatively small environment.
Most of the time it is very reproducible. I need to go back and forth 10 metres and it stutters in the same places.

Star Citizen would only have single frames with the technology of Dead Space. Especially when you fly close to objects with spaceships.

It makes sense to make something like that marvel movies make a lot of money and are successful
I hope that it will not be worth it financially. The 2020 game was already bad enough.

Otherwise there will be many more such games. There is a lot of talk about light pollution or environmental pollution but Marvel pollutes the cinena screen and the games do it for the TV screen.

Last edited:
The stuttering during movements is very annoying and incomprehensible to me. The player moves very slowly in a relatively small environment.
Exactly. It's insane to me that this game is apparently doing so much that even the most powerful PCs with the most powerful gaming CPUs out there can't stream these levels properly..

I hope they can still fix it. That should be their top priority.

After that they could take a look at the performance. As I said the game looks very impressive in some places with many high-end effects but why an RTX 3090 only gets just over 40 fps in UHD is strange. Especially since it uses very little ray tracing in a small environment. Battlefield 2042 runs extremely well with Frostbite. Now more than ever.

I think Dead Space is brilliant but I'm puzzled by the difference in public perception compared to The Callisto Protocol. This one has no fewer technical weaknesses.

These companies just don't give a shit, plain and simple.
Basically a step away from 'lazy devs' rhetoric. It's nonsense.

Most people playing it are having a good time and not facing any significant issues. But you're arguing that they should just not allow any of these people to enjoy this experience because the game has some technical hiccups affecting some people(or people with particular higher sensitivity to certain issues)?

Come on now. I get it's frustrating when you're facing such issues, but people get far too caught up in their own experience thinking it's somehow representative of everybody else's. It's not.

I hope they can still fix it. That should be their top priority.

After that they could take a look at the performance. As I said the game looks very impressive in some places with many high-end effects but why an RTX 3090 only gets just over 40 fps in UHD is strange. Especially since it uses very little ray tracing in a small environment. Battlefield 2042 runs extremely well with Frostbite. Now more than ever.

I think Dead Space is brilliant but I'm puzzled by the difference in public perception compared to The Callisto Protocol. This one has no fewer technical weaknesses.
Callisto Protocol was heavily praised for its technical side. People's issues with that game were fundamental game design aspects.

Also, since a lot of people make this mistake regularly - an engine does not determine demands, but what you do with it. Just cuz it's on Frostbite doesn't mean it should perform like some other game on Frostbite.

Official Motive Dev Team

It’s an EA after all. One step forward two steps back.

Basically a step away from 'lazy devs' rhetoric. It's nonsense.

Most people playing it are having a good time and not facing any significant issues. But you're arguing that they should just not allow any of these people to enjoy this experience because the game has some technical hiccups affecting some people(or people with particular higher sensitivity to certain issues)?

Come on now. I get it's frustrating when you're facing such issues, but people get far too caught up in their own experience thinking it's somehow representative of everybody else's. It's not.
....and developers don't care because there are people like you out there who hand-wave everything away for them.

"not representative of everyone else experience... you only care about yourself.."

Sure pal.. if you say so. I'd argue that I care about the experience period.. for everyone.. and bring attention to issues that games have in an attempt to get them fixed, or better yet, that they don't release in such a poor state to begin with. In fact, I'd argue what are doing is far worse... because if a game is working fine for you, or you're happy enough with it... you have literally no reason to come into threads and "counter" people complaining about issues. If you're happy.. then just be happy and stay out of it... stop coming into threads and saying "its your PC" or "runs great for me!"... Nothing bad is going to come from people trying to get attention to get their issues fixed. People are within their right to complain about issues they have, and they don't need people like you butting in all the time that everything is fine.

That's honestly the thing I hate most about the Steam forums especially... literally like clockwork some idiot comes in and counters any issue anyone has and says it works fine for them.... it doesn't.. they're just oblivious. Makes it hard to believe you're going to get the developers attention when you have idiots replying things work fine.. when they clearly don't.

....and developers don't care because there are people like you out there who hand-wave everything away for them.

"not representative of everyone else experience... you only care about yourself.."

Sure pal.. if you say so. I'd argue that I care about the experience period.. for everyone.. and bring attention to issues that games have in an attempt to get them fixed, or better yet, that they don't release in such a poor state to begin with. In fact, I'd argue what are doing is far worse... because if a game is working fine for you, or you're happy enough with it... you have literally no reason to come into threads and "counter" people complaining about issues. If you're happy.. then just be happy and stay out of it... stop coming into threads and saying "its your PC" or "runs great for me!"... Nothing bad is going to come from people trying to get attention to get their issues fixed. People are within their right to complain about issues they have, and they don't need people like you butting in all the time that everything is fine.

That's honestly the thing I hate most about the Steam forums especially... literally like clockwork some idiot comes in and counters any issue anyone has and says it works fine for them.... it doesn't.. they're just oblivious. Makes it hard to believe you're going to get the developers attention when you have idiots replying things work fine.. when they clearly don't.
I dont have low standards. My standards are just reasonable. I'm not 'hand waving' anything away, I'm simply suggesting that people like you are being overly harsh and dont really understand the situation much at all. Nothing invalidates somebody's arguments quicker than 'lazy devs' rhetoric. Game developers work harder than the vast majority of people. The whole massive problem of 'crunch' wouldn't exist if they just didn't care like you're suggesting.

I am not suggesting that issues shouldn't be discussed and brought up. But people like you want to blow up issues to massive scales and act like they're world ending when they're simply an annoyance to some percentage of people. Acting like they should NOT release the game at all for a certain platform(which would be completely financial ruinous) is insane. It's not reasonable, it's reactionary nonsense from an increasingly reactionary PC gamer userbase that is less and less tolerant of any issues of any kind, all while we ask that games get increasingly more ambitious and feature-rich.

Also, this idea that issues are always universal is genuinely nonsense and thanks for completely proving my point about how some people are incapable of separating their own experiences from that of others as individual. And even if we are talking about issues that are more universal, if many others genuinely dont notice it or think it affects their experience negatively, that is a VALID opinion to have. It is not saying the issue doesn't exist, but it weighs in heavily on this notion that these games shouldn't release at all just cuz some might be more sensitive to them.

Last edited:
I dont have low standards. My standards are just reasonable. I'm not 'hand waving' anything away, I'm simply suggesting that people like you are being overly harsh and dont really understand the situation much at all. Nothing invalidates somebody's arguments quicker than 'lazy devs' rhetoric. Game developers work harder than the vast majority of people. The whole massive problem of 'crunch' wouldn't exist if they just didn't care like you're suggesting.

I am not suggesting that issues shouldn't be discussed and brought up. But people like you want to blow up issues to massive scales and act like they're world ending when they're simply an annoyance to some percentage of people. Acting like they should NOT release the game at all for a certain platform(which would be completely financial ruinous) is insane. It's not reasonable, it's reactionary nonsense from an increasingly reactionary PC gamer userbase that is less and less tolerant of any issues of any kind, all while we ask that games get increasingly more ambitious and feature-rich.

Also, this idea that issues are always universal is genuinely nonsense and thanks for completely proving my point about how some people are incapable of separating their own experiences from that of others as individual. And even if we are talking about issues that are more universal, if many others genuinely dont notice it or think it affects their experience negatively, that is a VALID opinion to have. It is not saying the issue doesn't exist, but it weighs in heavily on this notion that these games shouldn't release at all just cuz some might be more sensitive to them.
You apparently do. When you can't run through an environment without the game hitching and stuttering everywhere... it's not unreasonable to expect the game to not do that. Who exactly am I being overly harsh to by presuming they don't care? You're acting like I'm harassing the developers themselves telling them they suck at their jobs and that their game is trash to their face...

And now you're telling me that I don't understand the situation.... Typcial "it must be your rig" type accusation... You see.. that's what bothers me about people like you.. you're quick as can be to invalidate anyone who doesn't adhere to your imaginary guidelines and line of thought.. I think you might be the one who misunderstands the industry... because you're acting like "crunch" is a developer problem (because they care so much) when in fact it's a management problem because time is money.. and they need to hit dates regardless of the quality...

Again... it's a minor annoyance to you? Then ignore the damn post... I mean who do you think you are? And yes, I'm entitled to my opinion. If it weren't for people like me making a big issue of things, then games like The Callisto Protocol would still be in their launch state stuttering like shit.... You're god damn right if developers can't release a product which performs reasonably... and Dead Space doesn't... then they shouldn't release it until it does... and I said "if they can't then MAYBE they shouldn't release it"

PC gaming is 100% where it is at because of people like you giving everything a pass because "not everyone perceives the issue"... That's just complete BS. There are people who will settle for absolute garbage.. and I'm tired of those people dictating what's acceptable for the rest of us.

If you don't believe the issue exists... THEN GET LOST! It's that simple. Leave us.. the ones who are trying to speak up for the betterment of EVERYONE.. to do so. Lord...

Last edited:
The PS5 and Xbox version also have stuttering btw people! It just manifests a bit differently at times.
You should look at the dark areas and turn up the brightness ;P
John did not do this by the way - he just played the game and kept noticing how grey areas (aka not pitch black ones) kept aliasing like crazy on PS5 at a normal game gamma. At normal 50% brightness the softawre VRS was really obvious in any area that was not purely directly lit - it also was incredibly obvious with any and every light that flashes or pulses, as it would cause the VRS to turn on or off intune with the light. So you would see a pulsing pixilisation aka aliasing. Really obvious on Issac's back or on the environment where it was occuring.

The PS5 and Xbox version also have stuttering btw people! It just manifests a bit differently at times.

John did not do this by the way - he just played the game and kept noticing how grey areas (aka not pitch black ones) kept aliasing like crazy on PS5 at a normal game gamma. At normal 50% brightness the softawre VRS was really obvious in any area that was not purely directly lit - it also was incredibly obvious with any and every light that flashes or pulses, as it would cause the VRS to turn on or off intune with the light. So you would see a pulsing pixilisation aka aliasing. Really obvious on Issac's back or on the environment where it was occuring.

Thanks Alex this explains a lot.

because you're acting like "crunch" is a developer problem (because they care so much) when in fact it's a management problem because time is money.. and they need to hit dates regardless of the quality...
But then WHY risk those management people to release bad products although it will hurt their sales?
That's the part of the industry i fail to understand. They must be aware they shoot their own foot.

Not sure if it's enough to make management the scapegoat. Even if money is their only interest, the industry should have long learned it's better to delay a game and make it work before releasing it.

So personally i think mismanagement is not the problem. Much more likely devs just can't do better at all, even if investing more time. And i see reasons for that:
The term 'game developer' rarely applies. We talk more about 'content creators'. They know about tech, they know about the engine they work with, but they don't develop it. So we can't expect too much.
Increasing standards have raised costs and complexity way beyond a reasonable measure. They can't manage their workflows, they can't optimize their code. It's just too much complexity and dependencies, and unique people have expertise only about some small specific part of it.

But i'm not in the industry, so that's just a guess.
Personally i have not tried DS remake, but i'm very disappointed to hear it has performance issues.
10 years ago people said Frostbite is a Ferrari, and UE is a Volkswagen in comparison.
But nowadays DS does not even run better than the same game (Callisto Protocol) using UE4.

So i'm afraid we are not far from the point where only one engine remains to cover the whole AAA industry.
Games are boring, tech becomes boring too, if so. : (

"So i'm afraid we are not far from the point where only one engine remains to cover the whole AAA industry."

Playing a bit of devil advocate here but maybe this is not the worst thing that can happend. After all you said it perfectly

"Increasing standards have raised costs and complexity way beyond a reasonable measure. They can't manage their workflows, they can't optimize their code. It's just too much complexity and dependencies, and unique people have expertise only about some small specific part of it."

Maybe we should go into direction that only engineers that created game engine will work on the engine, the game devs will be content creators only.
Perhaps its the only way.

Maybe time to ditch rasterizing and go path tracing. Portal RTX runs flawless and performance gets back with upscaling and frame generation. All these new rasterizing games are such power hogs and stuttering mess that i dont see any future going forward. And native rendering in 4K isnt even reachable in the lastets games on sub $1000 GPUs...

Back