Dark Souls 2 [PS3,X360]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Cornsnake, Sep 20, 2013.

1. DrJay24

Veteran

I would start with Demon Souls, I thought it was the better of the two.

2. szymku

Regular Newcomer

I would start with Dark souls. I finished both games and Dark Souls is more polished, more balanced with better story and graphics.

3. patsu

Legend

If you have limited time, start with Dark Souls first. It's easier because they worked out some of the rough edges. It is also broader in scope.

If you want to experience the real Demon's Souls, then play Demon's Souls first. It can be tedious and has its imperfections, but it is more true to the original design goals. It is difficult to explain.

I haven't played both for quite some time, so I don't know if there are many online players left.

4. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Thanks! Well purely by chance I saw Demon on the PSN for around £5 so I'll start there I guess!

5. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Right boys!

So I downloaded and started Demon Souls.

I wholeheartedly, deeply, intensely hate it. I'm sure I'm 'not getting it' (yet?) but I have never touched anything so enraging as this in my whole life. And I've touched a lot of things.

No. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

6. szymku

Regular Newcomer

7. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

8. patsu

Legend

lol

Did you play online or offline ?

And what character class did you choose ?

9. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Online. Thief I think? Not that it matters - it's awful. Lol

10. patsu

Legend

Try using Royal because you will have magical ranged attacks. Mana will be auto charged because of the ring you have.

If you are bothered by human intruders or if the world has turned dark tendency, try offline first. Otherwise, online is great. Try summoning someone to help. It's worth it.

You need to tour the Tower of Latria !

11. Cornsnake

Veteran

There's no point in getting angry at Demon's Souls. You will die, a lot, and there's nothing you can do about it playing it for the first time.

You just need to take it slowly. Learn the enenies moves, wait for an opening, and attack once, repeat until one of you dies.

Also there is this knight with glowing red eyes, he's easy, you should kill him.

12. L. Scofield

Veteran

The Souls games encourage cautiousness (at least until DS2). If you try to go in as some expert war hero you'll die fast.

13. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Whats different in DS2? In fact, due to the damn Health Bar getting smaller everytime one dies, one has to be even more cautious in DS2. Did I miss something? I haven't played after the patch, in case they have made it easier.

14. L. Scofield

Veteran

The thing is that DS2 is very cheap compared to previous Souls games. The level design forces mobs on you while before that only happened if you weren't careful. Plus you have bad controls, long recovery animations, bad collision detection, no poise so every enemy is capable of stunlocking you (particularly annoying when using big weapons since even the lamest of attacks interrupts your animations), nerfed rolling, etc.

While superficially the game is similar to previous Souls games, the core mechanics have been severely compromised. Honestly I don't think many people would care about it if it wasn't carried by the reputation of its predecessors.

15. Davros

Legend

No he hasn't touched one of those either ;)

16. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Yes I have, I'll have you know! It was gross. Don't get what the fuss is all about to be honest. But this is extremely off topic.

17. Sigfried1977

Legend Veteran

Does anyone here still play this? I picked it up again after a couple of weeks and I'm having a blast again. Also: man, this game just keeps on going.

18. patsu

Legend

I haven't even started. :-/