Dark Souls 2 [PS3,X360]

I would start with Dark souls. I finished both games and Dark Souls is more polished, more balanced with better story and graphics.

So... I know I'm ridiculously late to the party, but I never played Demon Souls, or the first Dark Souls. I know that everyone loves them and I'm thinking of joining the club. Do I need to start from Demon or can I go with Dark Souls, before starting with the second one?

And yes, I'll probably get killed for this, but is Dark Souls just a bigger/better kind of sequel to Demon Souls?

Most importantly for me... Is the story actually interesting? I'd never play them past a few hours if there's no story to keep me hooked...

If you have limited time, start with Dark Souls first. It's easier because they worked out some of the rough edges. It is also broader in scope.

If you want to experience the real Demon's Souls, then play Demon's Souls first. It can be tedious and has its imperfections, but it is more true to the original design goals. It is difficult to explain.

I haven't played both for quite some time, so I don't know if there are many online players left.

If you have limited time, start with Dark Souls first. It's easier because they worked out some of the rough edges. It is also broader in scope.

If you want to experience the real Demon's Souls, then play Demon's Souls first. It can be tedious and has its imperfections, but it is more true to the original design goals. It is difficult to explain.

I haven't played both for quite some time, so I don't know if there are many online players left.
Thanks! Well purely by chance I saw Demon on the PSN for around £5 so I'll start there I guess!

Right boys!

So I downloaded and started Demon Souls.

I wholeheartedly, deeply, intensely hate it. I'm sure I'm 'not getting it' (yet?) but I have never touched anything so enraging as this in my whole life. And I've touched a lot of things.

No. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

Try using Royal because you will have magical ranged attacks. Mana will be auto charged because of the ring you have.

If you are bothered by human intruders or if the world has turned dark tendency, try offline first. Otherwise, online is great. Try summoning someone to help. It's worth it.

You need to tour the Tower of Latria !

There's no point in getting angry at Demon's Souls. You will die, a lot, and there's nothing you can do about it playing it for the first time.

You just need to take it slowly. Learn the enenies moves, wait for an opening, and attack once, repeat until one of you dies.

Also there is this knight with glowing red eyes, he's easy, you should kill him.

Right boys!

So I downloaded and started Demon Souls.

I wholeheartedly, deeply, intensely hate it. I'm sure I'm 'not getting it' (yet?) but I have never touched anything so enraging as this in my whole life. And I've touched a lot of things.

No. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

The Souls games encourage cautiousness (at least until DS2). If you try to go in as some expert war hero you'll die fast.

The Souls games encourage cautiousness (at least until DS2). If you try to go in as some expert war hero you'll die fast.

Whats different in DS2? In fact, due to the damn Health Bar getting smaller everytime one dies, one has to be even more cautious in DS2. Did I miss something? I haven't played after the patch, in case they have made it easier.

Whats different in DS2? In fact, due to the damn Health Bar getting smaller everytime one dies, one has to be even more cautious in DS2. Did I miss something? I haven't played after the patch, in case they have made it easier.

The thing is that DS2 is very cheap compared to previous Souls games. The level design forces mobs on you while before that only happened if you weren't careful. Plus you have bad controls, long recovery animations, bad collision detection, no poise so every enemy is capable of stunlocking you (particularly annoying when using big weapons since even the lamest of attacks interrupts your animations), nerfed rolling, etc.

While superficially the game is similar to previous Souls games, the core mechanics have been severely compromised. Honestly I don't think many people would care about it if it wasn't carried by the reputation of its predecessors.

Yes I have, I'll have you know! It was gross. Don't get what the fuss is all about to be honest. But this is extremely off topic.

Does anyone here still play this? I picked it up again after a couple of weeks and I'm having a blast again. Also: man, this game just keeps on going.

Back