Dark Souls

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by patsu, Feb 1, 2011.

1. patsu

Legend

It's made by the Demon's Souls team.

Saw this on GAF:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25720882&postcount=1

They should tone down the PvP if they are building a large, seamless world. In Demon's Souls, at least you can find safe haven in the Nexus.

EDIT: Ah, source is here:
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/01/dark_souls/

2. patsu

Legend

3. L. Scofield

Veteran

Sounds good, specially the stuff about exploration.

4. patsu

Legend

5. dragonelite

Veteran

Please make armor more useful played a knight kinda class at a friend and failed hard because i was hardly mobile.

6. patsu

Legend

In Demon's Souls, armor is only useful for basic protection, magic and some environmental effects. They won't be effective against powerful enemies. Agility and (lock-on) skills count more. :cool: !

Choice of weapons vs the terrain and your playstyle is important too.

EDIT: I should add that you feel heavy because your equipment is more than half your weight limit. When you level up enough, the same set of armor should not hinder you anymore.

7. dragonelite

Veteran

Was at a friend for a brief moment.
    So i played like only 30 min or so couldn't even defeat the first tutorial boss:cry: Maybe when this is closer to release i will buy Demonsouls.

8. patsu

Legend

Ha ha, few people can defeat the tutorial boss first time round. You're meant to die there and go to the Nexus.

You're supposed to learn your place in the game's universe. A few powerful enemies/monsters roam the beginning level too. They are hard/tedious to defeat. Avoiding contact or running away is a valid strategy/tactics in Demon's Souls, unless it's a boss battle.

9. JB9861

Regular

I wonder how the PVP will work without the hub because the black phantom player used to spawn way back at the beginning of a level by the archstone.

10. Sigfried1977

Veteran

The problem is that even the heaviest armor set in DS is next to useless, especially in new game+. You are much better off spending your souls elsewhere. It just isn't worth the heavy cost, which is rather discouraging for melee builds.

11. dragonelite

Veteran

Matchmaking i would love to have that something like wow arena.

12. Scott_Arm

Legend

Knowing very little about this game, I can already say I will 100% buy it.

Edit: I hope they make it easier to play with friends, but if they don't, I'll still get it.

13. patsu

Legend

Yes, this is one of the things I fear when I see the "exploration" and "seamless world" keywords. PvP can ruin the experience when left unchecked. It's the only time I had to turn off my PS3 after a game. My heart was pounding too loudly after the first unexpected invasion.

I suppose. Demon's Souls experience is usually integrated into the game world… like the messages on the floor, the ghosts from other players, etc. I hope they think harder and come up with something different.

I think people pick the armor that give them the best protection against magic, fire or poison. Without them it can be hard to navigate a world.

If the armor is too safe to use, the Demon's Souls formula may not work. I love the very deliberate combat moves (One wrong move may cost your life).

EDIT: For PvP builds, I think some players simply forgo armor and optimize for speed and double blades.

In NG+, you should be able to carry a fair amount of weight.

Even if you have the best armor, it's difficult to defend against phantoms who can roll and backstab quickly.

14. kagemaru

Veteran

Been keeping my eye on this, love games that aren't afraid to challenge the player. Will probably buy day 1

15. Yemeth

Newcomer

Thanks, patsu, for the heads up!

I will get this for sure, great that it will come this year. But this will also mean that I have to update my profile "shout" from "Sparkly, Twinkly". :)

My PS3 died a week ago with YLOD, but I am already looking forward to this!

Cheers...

16. scently

Regular

Looks interesting.

17. patsu

Legend

Ha ha, that crow girl made me jump down the cliff. Thought she's yet another demon I needed to fight, and she sounded like she's standing right behind me (Read user message: "Behind You !!!").

EDIT:
    For people who over-rely on armor… this is what may happen:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25746775&postcount=114

It's safer to take preventive measure, or roll to safety (if still possible :lol: !)…[size=-2]or try your very best to strike down the enemies with minimal damage.[/size]

18. 2real4tv

Veteran

My most anticapated title for the year...and thats saying alot with all the big titles coming out R3, GeOW3, K3 and C2.

19. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Oh, interesting just noticed this is coming for X360 also. I may have to check it out as I like a good challenge. :)

Regards,
    SB

20. RenegadeRocks

Legend

Wow ! The trailer is freakintastic :razz: ! I suck at RPGs, but this seems to good to be missed !