Cornsnake

Veteran
Release dates:

PS3 and 360.
NA March 11.
EU March 14.
PC in March.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/18/4743612/dark-souls-2-hands-on-beta-preview-tgs

Perhaps the most surprising change is how the world of Dark Souls 2 treats players who are undead — or in "hollowed" form. In the original Dark Souls, it was often safer to play as an undead character than one with their humanity restored. Other players couldn't invade you while playing as an undead. Not so in Dark Souls 2.

Dark Souls 2 will also see changes to how players can summon others to their own world for cooperative play. Players summoned to your world will now only be able to join you for a limited time; how long depends on how experienced your cooperative phantom ally is. The more enemies a summoned players has killed, the shorter they'll live in phantom form.

Dark Souls 2 also introduces a new player character attribute, agility. According to the game, agility governs "swiftness of movement" and boosts the speed of evasion, blocking and other actions. At least one other character attribute is slightly different. Dexterity now boosts poison and bleed effects, according to its description.

Humanity from Dark Souls has also been completely removed for the sequel.

TGS trailer.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_tgs_images_and_trailers_of_dark_souls_2-14631_en.html

TGS offscreen gameplay.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_tgs_10_minutes_of_dark_souls_2-14628_en.html

There will be a beta in October for the PS3 version. You can sign up to it from the PSN store.

I like that they are really changing things up for the sequel. Giving us simply more of the same would have robbed the game of much of it's mystery and the sense of discovery. It wouldn't feel like a true Dark Souls game.

Santa Marrrria~ no humanity in a Souls game ?

They also remove the hollow form safety. So basically if you don't want to be invaded, pull your network jack ?

Is DS2 a completely online game ?

I like that they are really changing things up for the sequel. Giving us simply more of the same would have robbed the game of much of it's mystery and the sense of discovery. It wouldn't feel like a true Dark Souls game.
As they making changes to an existing prequels, and possibly adding a new feature or two-depending on how they want to change the game, for people like me the game still has the same mystery because I have never played it. I followed the Dark Souls thread here and wanted the game so badly at some point, but with so many games I had to complete and switching generations, I never purchased it in the end.

I hope the do a complete overhaul of their weapons upgrade system. So many upgrade paths where completely useless in Dark Souls. The only good ones where the regular, fire and lightning paths. Demon's Souls was a lot better in that regard.

Part of the problem is how Dark Souls calculates damage. Split damage weapons have to through two defences, and if your attack rating wasn't above a certain threshold you would do negligible damage. As a result a 300AR single damage weapon would often outdamage a 200AR and 200AR split weapon damage. Not to mention that the former could still be enchanted while the latter couldn't.

As they making changes to an existing prequels, and possibly adding a new feature or two-depending on how they want to change the game, for people like me the game still has the same mystery because I have never played it. I followed the Dark Souls thread here and wanted the game so badly at some point, but with so many games I had to complete and switching generations, I never purchased it in the end.

A lot of people have shown interest in a next gen version of the game. And From has also said they are interested the next gen platforms. If enough people keep asking them we'll probably get a next gen version at some point. The PC is the lead platform this time, so porting to PS4 and Xbox One shouldn't be all that difficult. Although it might take awhile like the PC version of Dark Souls.

What about the invaders ? Are they timed too ?
With those time limits, it seems that PvP would be the preferred way to earn souls.

At some point, he mentioned that his character rolled around at the same speed naked and with armor. Did he just confirm there is no weight penalty ? That would suck, wouldn't it ?

The rest of the tweaks sound ok or interesting. Need to play to find out.

I doubt invaders have a time limit. They may still have limited ways to heal themselves, especially now humanity is gone.

They mentioned earlier that they were changing the weight system. I think because they now allow you to carry three weapons in each hand, they needed a way to let you do just that without overburdening yourself. So they need a new method of effecting weight and movement speed.

It's actually kind of crazy that humanity is gone because it tied so heavily into the lore. Maybe it's only been removed from gameplay?

Does ur character not carry a light source with him anymore?

No, now you can light a torch at the bonfire or other source of fire. You can see the player do this in the video.

I believe the torch will also go out if you switch to your shield, adding just that little extra pressure in dark places.

How do we want to handle spoilers for this thread? Just story spoilers, or also new game mechanics. I remember last time some people wanted experience the game completely unspoiled. So we might as well decide this before the floodgates open on the beta.

That would be xbd (CarlBender). He completed Demon's Souls without watching any video, reading anything about gameplay/story.

If somebody wants to be completely unspoiled, he/she shouldn't be reading a DS2 thread. Story spoilers is fine, gameplay mechanics should be discussed normally I think.

Well, the standard practice is to use spoiler tag in regular threads. Even CarlBender read the regular Demon's Souls thread for information on release date and patches. We can always have a separate spoiler thread.

Part of what makes Dark Souls great is discovering things for yourself, and the tension that comes from stepping into the completely unknown. I'm not even sure of how much I want to know before trying things for myself. At the same time I do want to talk about the things I do know, but I also don't want to take away from anyone's experience of playing the game for the first time.

I'll probably spoiler tag a bunch of stuff, and let people decide for themselves if they want to look at it.

THe beta is free for PS+ members now (EU). I haven't downloaded it yet, but the description says the beta starts on the 27th or something.

Part of what makes Dark Souls great is discovering things for yourself, and the tension that comes from stepping into the completely unknown. I'm not even sure of how much I want to know before trying things for myself. At the same time I do want to talk about the things I do know, but I also don't want to take away from anyone's experience of playing the game for the first time.

I'll probably spoiler tag a bunch of stuff, and let people decide for themselves if they want to look at it.

Spoilers should be maked as being related to the story or the mechanics, to avoid nasty surprises when possible.

Back