Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think adding an HDDVD drive inside this new box would be a bad idea. If it is only used for movie playback and HD-DVD fails then its a loss for the consumer. If its used for games as well then they alienate the first 10 million users...I will wait and see on this black xbox news...

Me neither. $479?? Should make it $399, drop the Premium to $300 and $250 respectively, drop the HDD to $50, and they could probably start outselling PS3 again.

MS seems content to wait though, i don't think it's a great strategy.
Uh... when did they _stop_ outselling the PS3? According to NPD numbers, the 360 has outsold the PS3 every month it's been out.

Uh... when did they _stop_ outselling the PS3? According to NPD numbers, the 360 has outsold the PS3 every month it's been out.

That post was before NPD's for Jan came out, I assumed PS3 would outsell 360 in January in it's first month where it wasn't supply limited.

Sony says PS3 is still supply shortages until May.

Sony expects to resolve PS3 shortages by May

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) is on track to have shipped 2 million PlayStation 3s to North American stores by the end of March, and expects shortages of the video game console to have completely eased by May, a top executive said on Tuesday.

"April or May is when we feel like we're going to catch up to demand and have product fully in stock across North America and stay there," said Jack Tretton, chief executive of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2724062920070228

Well thats what they may say, however here at least in this part of the US (south east florida) they are sitting on the sheveles....

Well thats what they may say, however here at least in this part of the US (south east florida) they are sitting on the sheveles....

SW FL they are in stock (some more than others but most have 1-3)

The "Shortage" news is a bit odd, considering up till the begining of this month, they still had stock from last year available. Next month NPD should paint a clearer picture of what's really going on.

As much as i'd love to believe that, it sounds more like a horribly implemented joke than a fact :cry:

April they say? well, 1 more month until the rumor gets debunked/proven then :p (though im sure this wont be the last)

Another Shame Kim interview, touching on this subject:

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15529&page=4

BIZ: There have been a number of rumors out there about Microsoft possibly introducing revamped 360 hardware. Is MS going to issue updated 360 hardware with HDMI, a bigger HDD, quieter DVD drive or other features?

SK: Nothing to announce yet today, but what I will say is that we're always look at how we can improve the entire experience, whether it's in the hardware or in the services and software itself. I think it's a lot easier to address the hardware changes that customers would want and that we would want as well than it is to actually deliver the software and service innovations that we have, particularly on Xbox Live. So I look at that as saying, "Of course we're going to listen to customers." When we launched Xbox Live Video Marketplace last year, which I think was a great innovation, it's been super successful and very popular for us on Xbox Live. Of course, customers are saying, "Hey, it'd be nice if we had a larger hard drive with all of this content that we've already been downloading on top of Video Marketplace and now you're adding to it." So that's just one example of where, "Ok, gosh we've heard that people would like a larger hard drive and things like that." Those are things that we're always looking at, and like I said, that stuff is much easier to add to than to think about all of the software innovations that our competitors would have to do to be comparable to what we do.

BIZ: It's easier to add on the one hand, but if you decide to implement new hardware, new features... what does that do to the ten million or so people that already have the system?

SK: With any kind of hardware SKU transition like that, those are the kind of issues that you have to mange through and it's not just customers, it's also retailers that have inventories of existing systems and things like that. You just have to work with those people really closely on working through those issues. There are a lot of different ways to make sure that transition goes well for customers and some of it may be that... and I'm just making this stuff up, but some of these new features might start coming at a higher price point. Some of it also is just the inevitability of the evolution of technology and hardware as well. I mean, I bought a PC a year ago and now I'm starting to wish I had more RAM, a faster CPU, so I think there is some inevitability there as well. What we have to do is we have to respect that if we do add greater capabilities from a hardware standpoint that we also manage that transition well from a software standpoint, and that we make sure that, even if you've got an "older Xbox 360" that all of that stuff interoperates well and that's where I think we have an advantage as a software company.

The first 2 years are critical for the success of the console, and with their ridiculously high-end pricing scheme's they really squandering a great opportunity.

:yep2:

Of course you have the die hard, early adopting and innovator fans nudging MS on about how the pricing is fine... if anything Wii is showing that, among other things, that a reasonable price point is very, very important. The reality is a larger install base now means more profits later. In regards to price and software MS has the edge on Sony for 2007, now is there chance to outpace them enough in NA to secure the market win in NA for this gen over Sony and firmly establish themselves as the "lead sku" for NA focused games for this generation as well as convince more default exclusives from the PS2 generation to look at the 360 (VF5, DMC4, etc) as a means to improve the potential customer pool. If they don't hit a reasonable price point ($199) in 2007 they are sending all the wrong messages and clearly have the wrong people in charge in regards to product longevity and placement. The goal should be generational profits, everything else should take a back seat.

Well after giving it some thought, i still think this price is terrible, but i can see its tactical value. The $479 price at 'launch' will serve 2 purposes:

1. Piss off early adopters who bought at 399 less than they otherwise would be since they "got what they paid for"
2. Allow MS to sell through their existing 360 premiums at 399 without having to credit retailers or sell any 'premium' sku for less than 399.

Once the old premiums are gone, MS will drop the price of the black 360 to what they were originally planning for the current SKU, say down to 349 or 299 in August (or whenever).

In the end, i dont think MS really believes this is the right price for this SKU. This price will only appeal to the gotta-have-it-now crowd and mitigate the early adopter backlash, its only to serve as a transition price. The question i'm left with is when is the REAL price drop and by how much?

I think if MS are serious with this $480 price point, they will be including HD-DVD.

Consider this:
1) From the get-go on the HD-media wars, the concensus was, HD-DVD would be cheaper to produce in hardware and media.

2) The guts/silicone of the xb360 are cheaper to produce than ps3

3) The ps3 with a 20gb harddrive and a bluray drive sells for $500

4) Toshiba was thought to be losing ~$100 per HD-DVD player

With that being said, and current sales ratios of BR/HD-DVD being 3/1, I don't think it's a stretch to imagine Toshiba would be willing to take this same loss per unit and sell the drives to Microsoft to be included in a device which sold ~8million last year. Not to say this drive would be included in the core as I don't believe the core demographic would appreciate the added cost for something they care little about. Core is about cheap gaming. This new "zephyr" seems to appeal to the AV crowd with it's hdmi and black exterior. While this would probably not translate into 8 million HD-DVD players per year for Toshiba, It would translate into a significantly larger userbase than they would have without this deal in place.

Given that, I know MS says they do not want to be involved with the HD disc wars, but they already are. They've backed HD-DVD verbally, they've produced an external player for their xbox users, and they've provided behind the scenes technology to the HD-DVD camp to compete favorably in the PQ race with Bluray.

I think it is a very real possibility that Toshiba takes a loss on the HD-DVD drives to be included in this "AV edition" xb360 and MS shares some of this financial load to ensure Bluray does not kill HD-DVD quickly. This also gives the xbox brand a true "premium" offering to compete with PS3 head to head.

1) From the get-go on the HD-media wars, the concensus was, HD-DVD would be cheaper to produce in hardware and media.

And it was portrayed as an advantage for the consumer, but so far both sides have burnt money on keeping things "cheap".

They've backed HD-DVD verbally, they've produced an external player for their xbox users, and they've provided behind the scenes technology to the HD-DVD camp to compete favorably in the PQ race with Bluray.

The VC-1 codec is also used on BluRay though Amir on the AVS forum is a HD-DVD supporter and a Microsoft employe (i think he headed the VC-1 thing?).

It would be nice for Sony if Microsoft launched a Console with a HD-DVD drive that only can be used for Movie playback and then only for a format that can only be given a very very slim chance of winning the HD war. It would really make their BluRay choice seem so much better, it both plays movies and can be used for games :)

It's limited edition peeps! According to that engadget story. This totally restores my faith in MS marketing.

You see for the last few days this thing has been being discussed as a permanent sku, which puzzled everybody as it made no sense and amounted to a price increase, even as Sony proved daily that's the last thing people want.

But I've said it and posted it, as a limited edition it makes all kinds of sense. It'll be snapped up due to the knowledge it's LE and black, and probably even increase 360 hardware sales for a while. It'll make microsoft a quick buck in their true gouging style, and it serves as a great way to introduce the bigger hard drive that will then become available as an accessory.

It's limited edition peeps! According to that engadget story. This totally restores my faith in MS marketing.

You see for the last few days this thing has been being discussed as a permanent sku, which puzzled everybody as it made no sense and amounted to a price increase, even as Sony proved daily that's the last thing people want.

But I've said it and posted it, as a limited edition it makes all kinds of sense. It'll be snapped up due to the knowledge it's LE and black, and probably even increase 360 hardware sales for a while. It'll make microsoft a quick buck in their true gouging style, and it serves as a great way to introduce the bigger hard drive that will then become available as an accessory.

well that's a console of a different color :smile:

:oops: ;)

well that's a console of a different color :smile:

:oops: ;)

Oh yeah you're right though, the engadget story then says the 120GB/HDMI will eventually take over the role of the regular premium, just in white.

Well, in some ways that makes more sense than the the three permanent SKU's, I dunno. IT means they wont do away with core, but it also suggest no price drops this fall, as that 120GB will be a big cost.

I think it's a bad move, I think the 120GBshould have been an accesory only, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back