Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brimstone

B3D Shockwave Rider
Veteran
So it seems at this point.

Game Crazy POS Lists Black 360
Sent in by several tipsters, reported in the Cheap Ass Gamer Forums, and confirmed personally by me this morning, video game store chain Game Crazy has in their POS systems a sku for a black 120GB Xbox 360. Retailing for S479.99 the sku shows a release date of May 1st of this year, which also happens to be my birthday (hint, hint). After calling several Game Crazy stores, most knew what I was talking about right away, with only one New Jersey store remaining clueless, and...well they are in New Jersey.

I cannot seem to find any confirmation from Microsoft about this, and it looks like only Game Crazy has this information...none of the EBGameStop stores I called knew what I was talking about, and several of them searched and found nothing in their computers. Your best bet? Take this as a story about Game Crazy's POS system and not official confirmation of the where, when, and how much. Thanks to CloudyWolf and several anonymous people! Michael Fahey

Black 360 is in Game Crazy POS [Cheap Ass Gamer Forums]

"POS"? :LOL:

Lots of rumors about the Black Box recently, but WOW!, if its finally confirmed for sale... -$$$ *bank account*

Maybe it's April 1 and not May 1?

If this is true I have mixed feelings. I think my 360 should be black and have HDMI, but now I have the "old" SKU that will be a hard sell. I hope they have a trade-in program :cry:

I don't care much about the HD space, I don't DL movies so 20GB holds my save games and demos fine.

If the 360 evolves into the PS3 anymore, it will be hard to have a good vs thread. Both will be black, HDMI, 1080P, be $500, etc. I guess we will always have HD-DVD vs BD.

If the 360 evolves into the PS3 anymore, it will be hard to have a good vs thread. Both will be black, HDMI, 1080P, be $500, etc. I guess we will always have HD-DVD vs BD.

VS threads are not allowed here actually

OT:

if I had gone for the 1080p TV then I guess I'd be pissed that I don't have HDMI (but I EXPECT a dongle add on for the white one) but as it stands, I'm happy at 720p from 10' away at 50" for HD DVD over component.

Games I could have had in 1080p over component.

I even use component in with my HD cable box as it gives me a better picture (contrast/color) than either of my HDMI connections.

FWIW, I just called my Game Crazy (PHX AZ) and the Mngr says they have no official info whatsoever (no sku, no corporate memo, just rumors from people like me calling :LOL: them)

Last edited by a moderator:
For $479 it better have some Wifi built in otherwise, too much for me. $399 would have been the sweet spot. Let's hope it turns out as such...

Cool if true ! Again for that kind of price, there may be some lock-in contracts (e.g., with comcast). Should wait for official info.

Oh and how about using the Ben Q QUIET drive throughout. That'd be a big plus, esp for late night gaming when you have the sound off.

Hmmm, a 3rd SKU perhaps? It may confuse consumers more. The price is a bit too high, should be 429 tops. Make this the new premium, drop the current premium or replace the core with current premium. :???:

Hmmm, a 3rd SKU perhaps? It may confuse consumers more. The price is a bit too high, should be 429 tops. Make this the new premium, drop the current premium or replace the core with current premium. :???:

This seems closest to what I would expect...

We could see a phasing out of the core@$299us. We would see the now premium drop to the $299us price point, and said 120gb box would find itself sitting at $399us.

Nothing else really makes much sense. Add with this the reduction to 65nm and MS will still be making $$ at each price point, while matching Sony specs and arguablly surpassing in a few. This would surely put the heat on.

Core is in it for the long haul. I'd suspect the black color will just be an added color option while hdmi may be added as standard across the board for copy protection complience with ITV/hd-dvd. 120gb would be nice but may be a bit much to replace the standard 20gb and I doubt they (MS or retailers) want 3 sku's unless the third is a true premium sku with built-in HD-DVD and high-quality DVD upscaling/playback as well. If that is the case they could get away with price/feature parity at the top with ps3 and ~price parity with Wii with core.

Personally though I think 3 sku's is a bit much and I'd rather they run with 2 (core, core+HDDVD+120gb HDD) or 1 (core) and leave the periphs as addon's if desired with more reasonable prices to match.

1 sku would sell a clear message to the consumer and as long as they aren't price gouging on periphs I think it would be the way to go.

This seems closest to what I would expect...

We could see a phasing out of the core@$299us. We would see the now premium drop to the $299us price point, and said 120gb box would find itself sitting at $399us.

Nothing else really makes much sense. Add with this the reduction to 65nm and MS will still be making $$ at each price point, while matching Sony specs and arguablly surpassing in a few. This would surely put the heat on.

Yeah... but MS did say they will keep the core around for emerging markets. From a business perspective they need a point of entry at the cheapest possible price point so they may just keep the core as-is (meaning no hdd, headset, etc). Who knows though, they could go the route you listed too! MS wants to make money on h/w this gen.

I have no idea what they will do. :LOL:

I would rather have a builtin HD-DVD drive and buy the HDD as an addon. Also will they come out with Black HD-DVD drives to match the new sku? Somehow I doubt it.

I don't really like this idea.

I would rather have a builtin HD-DVD drive and buy the HDD as an addon. Also will they come out with Black HD-DVD drives to match the new sku? Somehow I doubt it.

I personally think this deal isn't bad at all. 120 gig harddrive for $479? It makes the 20gig PS3 look bad for those not interested in hi-def formats. I'm not sure exactly how much a 120gig laptop SATA costs (I believe the Xbox360 uses the same drive inside as a PS3), but I trust it isn't cheap.

I personally wonder what this kind of thing will do to the market though. Will MS keep introducing more SKUs and call it giving the consumer more options ? How will consumers react ? Should be interesting since we have never seen this kind of thing happen before in the home console market.

OT:

if I had gone for the 1080p TV then I guess I'd be pissed that I don't have HDMI (but I EXPECT a dongle add on for the white one) but as it stands, I'm happy at 720p from 10' away at 50" for HD DVD over component.
No reason to be pissed there as movies are only 24fps anyway, which means they fit in a 1080i signal just as well as they do in 1080p one.

FWIW, I just called my Game Crazy (PHX AZ) and the Mngr says they have no official info whatsoever (no sku, no corporate memo, just rumors from people like me calling :LOL: them)
Yeah, companies put stuff in their system just becuase consumers ask about it and they want their clerks to have a response. This news confirms nothing.

Me neither. $479?? Should make it $399, drop the Premium to $300 and $250 respectively, drop the HDD to $50, and they could probably start outselling PS3 again.

MS seems content to wait though, i don't think it's a great strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back