Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
slap an HDDVD drive into it and i'd consider it.

an extra 80 for an HDMI output and a larger HD is pretty stupid especially since we should see that price delta deepen with a pricecut on the origonal launch SKUs which hopefully arent much further off..

For the millionth time you are not going to see phasing out of the core. Microsoft has made that clear from day one.

Now to the rest of this story, I simply dont believe it. I dont believe ms is going to introduce a third sku, or a higher priced than current levels one. Neither makes sense.

In fact, an extra $80 for a larger hard drive is absurd. HDMI alone will cost next to nothing, and obviously black color as well. There's no way the extra hd space is costing ms anywhere near $80, let alone would they mark the price up that much.

There's only one way this sku would make a lick of sense, and that is as some sort of limited edition sku. Even then the price is outrageous, and a limited edition sku makes no sense unless the only difference is color, because otherwise it'll just make everybody whine why there model doesnt have a bigger HD and HDMI.

This story=no go imo.

For the millionth time you are not going to see phasing out of the core. Microsoft has made that clear from day one.

Now to the rest of this story, I simply dont believe it. I dont believe ms is going to introduce a third sku, or a higher priced than current levels one. Neither makes sense.

In fact, an extra $80 for a larger hard drive is absurd. HDMI alone will cost next to nothing, and obviously black color as well. There's no way the extra hd space is costing ms anywhere near $80, let alone would they mark the price up that much.

There's only one way this sku would make a lick of sense, and that is as some sort of limited edition sku. Even then the price is outrageous, and a limited edition sku makes no sense unless the only difference is color, because otherwise it'll just make everybody whine why there model doesnt have a bigger HD and HDMI.

This story=no go imo.

I highly doubt that HDMI will be limited to a SKU as differences between SKUs aren't related to internal hardware. A $500 or a $1000.00 SKU makes no real impact on the market as they are more like bundles than different versions of hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably costs about the same to manufacture as the 20gig one if it still on one layer.

Since MS does not make them, the price to manufacture is not what counts. If a 120GB drive cost me $120, say MS has to pay $80. They probably pay $20-$30 for the 20GB.

Since MS does not make them, the price to manufacture is not what counts. If a 120GB drive cost me $120, say MS has to pay $80. They probably pay $20-$30 for the 20GB.

If you buy one for $120 there is no way MS is buying anywhere near $80.

MS needs a price cut to stay competitive, not an even more expensive SKU...

Knowing MS they going to release a 3rd sku and cut prices around the same time period. There is no problem with selling a 3rd sku at a premium to those who find worth in the novelty of a black 360 with a 120 gb harddrive.

Truly amazing if MS brings a sku out at that price.

Seems like a horrible mistake.

Why? Say they release this SKU, and concurrently a 120GB HD addon for $100. I wouldn't be upset in the least. Its just another option, no one is forcing you to buy it, and in no way does it devalue the console you already have (are you enjoying your system now?).

I wonder if this new sku would include an hd-dvd drive like the 499 PS3. That to me would be great and a good incentive to upgrade.

and in no way does it devalue the console you already have (are you enjoying your system now?).
Yeah, I'm enjoying my system now. But the thought that I could have had an extra 100GB and a HDMI port for only $80 extra...
If I knew that this new SKU was coming so soon I would have waited till may 2007. I'm sure it doesn't devalue the console people have bought back in 2005, but it does devalue the units gamers are buying right now. :cry:

Knowing MS they going to release a 3rd sku and cut prices around the same time period. There is no problem with selling a 3rd sku at a premium to those who find worth in the novelty of a black 360 with a 120 gb harddrive.

Another Xbox 360 would certainly be in keeping with software taxonomy: Basic, Premium and Ultimate. But to be enticing at retail, the latter will probably have to have one foot in the current generation and the other foot in the next. ;)

Not necessarily. Strap yourself into a Sci-fi seat. This will be a rollercoaster ride. :smile2:

The supposed Xbox 360 could be marketed as a media mogul that, incidentally, plays video games. In this segment, it wouldn't be viewed as the most expensive Xbox console (even though it would be), but one of the cheapest sources of HD entertainment out there. And this would put Microsoft right where they've always wanted to be: in your living room.

I am assuming, of course, that its industrial design would undergo a metamorphosis -- the onyx 360 won't look like the pearl one we've all come to know (and love?) -- and that it would have a plethora of media-oriented features. Xbox "Ultimate" would probably be dispatched to fend off potential living room rivals, like Apple TV.

The supposed Xbox 360 could be marketed as a media mogul that, incidentally, plays video games. In this segment, it wouldn't be viewed as the most expensive Xbox console (even though it would be), but one of the cheapest sources of HD entertainment out there. And this would put Microsoft right where they've always wanted to be: in your living room.

If they want something like that, they might want to strongly consider a name change. Calling it Xbox something immediately makes it a game console primarily - not something that "incidentally" plays games.

I don't really understand the supposed $480 price point. At only $20 less than the 20GB PS3, sure it'll give you an additional 100GB worth of storage but it'll still lack the all important next gen dvd format which I highly doubt MS will include. It doesn't take MS an additional $80 to add an hdmi port, 120gb hdd, with cheaper produced 65nm chips. I would imagine the price point is nearer to $400 than $500.

Not necessarily. Strap yourself into a Sci-fi seat. This will be a rollercoaster ride. :smile2:

IOW it would be everything that the Microsoft marketing muppets have portrayed as being wrong about the PS3.
  • unfocused user experience
  • not competitive versus dedicated ce gear, but too expensive as dedicated gaming gear
  • risk of Betamax repeat and money wasted in unclear format situation
I'd love to watch that particular fleet of pirate ships turn around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back