What’s the price of switching from console to PC?

Sure, the number of existing PC players who'd want a controller for some games might be miniscule. But that's why they choose to game on PC. For others, where the subjective preference for controller type happens to prefer controllers, a (perceived) lack of support on PC for their controller of preference is going to discourage their migration to PC.

All things being equal *I* prefer a controller to mouse and KB since I sit in front of a computer all day at work. Given this, I can only think of the one case (Mass Effect 3) where a game on PC didn't support gamepad controls and where I didn't feel that KB+M controls were a much more natural fit for that game. And, since I had the choice, I bought that on 360.

I have to admit, I'm kind of lost as to who the subject of the thread is. A hypothetical average console owner or you personally? A lot of the issues you raise seem to revolve around your personal preferences, but then you have used language to indicate you're speaking of the group of console owners as a whole. I see a marked difference between the former and the latter.

I can only think of the one case (Mass Effect 3) where a game on PC didn't support gamepad controls.

The previous Mass Effects also didn't support pad and Bioshock 2 dropped the support, when Bioshock 1 had it. I've read that Infinite will have it though.

cant believe some people are complaining that some games not having gamepad support and that is somehow inferior to a console where there are zero games offering kb+mouse support zero games offering support for gamepads with more than 12 buttons, zero support for joysticks, zero support for trackballs ect, ect ect,

just for fun ive just played borderlands 2 on a steering wheel

No one said it is inferior to consoles. It was just about comfortable gaming and options. Furthermore, I guess with consoles showing there age in the most brutal way (i.e. graphics) more and more people switch from PS360 to PC, thus more and more people want their prefered control scheme, thus more and more developer can maximize their profit if they include such an options. It doesn not matter in this case which scheme is more natural.

Thinking about it, I have here the first real negative point about switching to PC from actual consoles:

you get spoiled for next gen. Each and every single PC game on max at 1080p with good framerate and often PhysX. Problem is that you get used so fast to such glory. What happens with next gen? I am expecting sensational never before seen entertainment with new PS720. I am already mentally preparing for a big let down in the sense of "already seen that"! Real issue!

PS: I guess reloading by handbrake and shooting with wheel :)

All things being equal *I* prefer a controller to mouse and KB since I sit in front of a computer all day at work. Given this, I can only think of the one case (Mass Effect 3) where a game on PC didn't support gamepad controls and where I didn't feel that KB+M controls were a much more natural fit for that game. And, since I had the choice, I bought that on 360.
This is where it's subjective. I really hate KB+M for Torchlight-like games.

I have to admit, I'm kind of lost as to who the subject of the thread is. A hypothetical average console owner or you personally?
It's a hypothetical console gamers using me as a representative to narrow down the range of variables to something workable, who's also got this consideration in RL. The target doesn't really matter though as the intention is just to identify the considerations that a gamer would face in picking between PC and console. Different folk will have different perception of value and ergonomics, so there's no one answer as to which is the better platform for someone.

I have to admit, I'm kind of lost as to who the subject of the thread is. A hypothetical average console owner or you personally? A lot of the issues you raise seem to revolve around your personal preferences

That's exactly what I've been saying...

Trying to get this back on topic, here's is what I've spent on hardware for PC gaming and consoles since 2000. My PC pulls double duty as a workstation and I don't consider the CPU and RAM upgrades as gaming related upgrades. The graphics cards purchased are exclusively to play games.

Consoles:
XBOX: 2500 DKK
PS2: 1800 DKK
XBOX: 1200 DKK
360 Premium: 3600 DKK
360 Elite: 2700 DKK
360 250GB: 1800 DKK
Total: 13600 DKK ($2310)

First XBOX died, the 360 Premium RRODed and the elite was acquired when the premium was being refurbished, elite died after I tinkered with it (took it apart).

PC:
GF4 4200ti: 2000 DKK
ATI 9700Pro: 3800 DKK
GF 6800: 4000 DKK
AMD 4890: 1900 DKK
AMD 7970: 3200 DKK
Total: 14900 DKK ($2520)

I've sold two consoles (XBOX and 360 premium) and gifted three of the above GPUs away.

In the XBOX era I roughly played twice as many hours on console as on PC, with the 360 the ratio is 5-10 times , largely because I don't play multiplayer FPS games on PC anymore. As my gaming habits gravitate towards consoles, my PC upgrade cycle has become longer, I used to upgrade PC hardware every year (1996-2001).

The money spent on hardware is roughly the same, but consoles offer much better value for me because they see much higher utilization than my PC.

Cheers

Trying to get this back on topic, here's is what I've spent on hardware for PC gaming and consoles since 2000. My PC pulls double duty as a workstation and I don't consider the CPU and RAM upgrades as gaming related upgrades. The graphics cards purchased are exclusively to play games.

Consoles:
XBOX: 2500 DKK
PS2: 1800 DKK
XBOX: 1200 DKK
360 Premium: 3600 DKK
360 Elite: 2700 DKK
360 250GB: 1800 DKK
Total: 13600 DKK ($2310)

First XBOX died, the 360 Premium RRODed and the elite was acquired when the premium was being refurbished, elite died after I tinkered with it (took it apart).

PC:
GF4 4200ti: 2000 DKK
ATI 9700Pro: 3800 DKK
GF 6800: 4000 DKK
AMD 4890: 1900 DKK
AMD 7970: 3200 DKK
Total: 14900 DKK ($2520)

I've sold two consoles (XBOX and 360 premium) and gifted three of the above GPUs away.

In the XBOX era I roughly played twice as many hours on console as on PC, with the 360 the ratio is 5-10 times , largely because I don't play multiplayer FPS games on PC anymore. As my gaming habits gravitate towards consoles, my PC upgrade cycle has become longer, I used to upgrade PC hardware every year (1996-2001).

The money spent on hardware is roughly the same, but consoles offer much better value for me because they see much higher utilization than my PC.

Cheers

Nice comparison, would you say the extra couple hundred spent on PC hardware was claimed back through cheaper games?

Nice comparison, would you say the extra couple hundred spent on PC hardware was claimed back through cheaper games?

It is two very different buying patterns if I have to be honest.

My GPU upgrades always coincide with a key PC title. The 9700PRO was bought to play Half life 2 and Far Cry, the 6800 to play Doom 3, the 4890 to play Fallout 3 and Crysis, the 7970 to play Skyrim (and because I was sick of the wind tunnel level noise the 4890 produced).

On the 360, about one in three games is purchased at launch, for the rest of the games, they're usually a year old and half price. Purchased at launch: Gears 1/2/3, Halo 3/Reach/Anniversary, MW 1&2, Oblivion, Forza 2/3/4. So thats 12 games a launch prices and the remaining 20-25 at half price (or less).

In the past decade I've bought 10-15 PC titles and 55-60 consoles titles. The average price of a PC title is thus much higher when you facter in hardware cost on a per game basis. However, comparing my PC habits with my console habits would be comparing apples to oranges.

You should compare my console habits with a PC gamers habits.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
That's subjective. KB+M is different. Some people, myself included, don't prefer KB+M in a lot of games. That's why knowing controllers aren't always supported in games we'd like to play is another consideration when contemplating switching to PC.

It's about embracing the platform, I'm the same way, always preferred controllers, but with Borderlands 2 I embraced the KB+M controls, an after 2 weeks I can safely say I don't want to go back.

In terms of cost, they're not comparable. It's quite simply 600-700 to get a decent gaming rig. Period. If you'r purely a budget focused gamer, how can you beat the customized, subsidized console hardware?

PC's bring a ton of other benefits that are *different* than console, if you're simply turning a blind eye to them, and unwilling to embrace the platform, then just forget about it and get a console.

Regarding software and Steam sales, the reason is keeps coming up is because these sales work.

The deals are so good, and constantly getting advertised, that you inevitable end up buying many more games than you did before.

Embrace the platform and it will happen. We're not making this shit up!

The variety you get on Steam is just amazing as well, compared to Console, you can pick up tons and tons of amazing games in th $3-20 price range, games that just don't exist anywhere else.

And how about cloud based saves?? Steam syncs all your saves across the device, so I can game on my Work Computer at lunch, my Home Work computer, my Ultrabook, OR my wife's Ultrabook, all with the same save fies and game library. Where the hell is THAT value with consoles? I know XBL has cloud saves, but it's no comparison to the ease of Steam.

Playing FTL on the beach sipping a Corona is simply unquantifiable, and will never be offered by a Console :)

You're lugging your console and discs around conencting to different screens, I just have a box in each room with Steam installed, and a 3lb Ultrabook with discrete GPU that I can carry anywhere I want. Pretty sure my solution is alot easier. How much $$$ that is worth though, is entirely subjective... how much is it worth to you to settle with you sub-optimal solution of physically lugging hardware around the house and hooking up cables?

It's about embracing the platform, I'm the same way, always preferred controllers, but with Borderlands 2 I embraced the KB+M controls, an after 2 weeks I can safely say I don't want to go back.
Do you play KB+M sat back on the couch in front of the big screen?

PC's bring a ton of other benefits that are *different* than console, if you're simply turning a blind eye to them...
This very thread is the complete opposite of turning a blind eye to them. The pros and cons of each platform need to be identified and presented so people can make informed choices. Otherwise people may well overlook a platform based on misguided prejudices. It's about understanding the differences and changes that would have to be accepted, if they exist. Or better yet, learning the differences aren't as significant as one may have first thought, although it does seem the expectations are also the reality.

You need to ask yourself as to why do people look at moving to PC as gaming platform over a console.

I've said it before that average Joe has little interest and people just don't wake up one morning with the urge to jump to a gaming PC.

The reasons for moving could be from wanting a single box that does it all to wanting a better gaming experience and the benefits of increased resolutions, frame rates and image quality.

Working at PC World in the passed revealed one thing to me, the average Joe public doesn't even know that you can game on PC like you can on consoles, many of them were surprised to learn that a gaming PC can be many factors more powerful then a console.

Anyway, it's universally known that a gaming PC will be more expensive then a console, how much more expensive ultimately depends on the person, some people will have enough money to a decent first build while other will save for a few months and just jump straight into a high end machine.

And because at its heart it is a PC you don't have to buy a cheap machine for office work and general PC related tasks, that alone can save you between £300-400.

For a small budget it would be more cost efficient to buy a pre-built machine from PC World such as one like this.

That PC is £500 and has a core i3 CPU, 6Gb RAM, 64Bit OS and comes with a 21.5" 1920x1080 monitor.

A benefit of this is that you won't have to shell out for expensive parts like the operating system which itself can cost £80, it's small and comes with pretty much everything you need to get going. The monitor alone would also cost you £80.

The options for the above PC would be

1. Add a dedicated GPU that does not need an external power connector, something like the 6670 for example can be had for £40-50

2. Add a cheap uprated PSU and better GPU for £100

This is just a silly off my head example, when people say to me they want a gaming PC but only have £400-500 to spend I tell them to do the above if they absolutely can't go any higher.

Do you play KB+M sat back on the couch in front of the big screen?

Nope, I play in front of a 24" LCD from about 24" away. The clarity you get from a small monitor sitting up close, pumping graphics at 1680x1080 is amazing.

To me what you're kinda saying is, I want an eagle. But it needs to be the same price as a duck, walk like a duck, have the same shape as a duck, and do all the things a duck can do... sounds like you should just get a duck.

You're forcing restrictions that handicap the entire discussion. 1, it must match the console's form factor, and 2, that it cost the same.

You're not asking, how much to build a great PC rig? You're asking, how much to build a rig that matches a console, or how much rig can I get for the price of a console. Both questions are skewed from a strange angle. Instead of looking to the advantages of a new platform, you're merely trying to replicate what you already have.

For example, the form factor "requirement" is a non starter.
1. The console is not *that* portable anyways. You need to move it, your games, your controllers, cables, it's a mess. It's just that you're used to it, so in your mind, this is 'portable'... but really it's a stretch to define it as such. An Ultrabook is Portable, a Tablet is portable, a console is not.

2. You've just cut off the PC at the knees. You're forcing it into some crappy little box it was never meant to be in. it will overheat, parts will fail faster, the parts you can choose will be limited. From that stems an entire wave of compromises, all related to a desire to maintain a level of portability that is not even all that compelling... get a tower.

Price is another non starter. With PC's you pay to play. If you cheap out on parts, you get cheap parts, and they fail. If you stinge on your motherboard, you will get BSOD's. You need to pony up considerably more money than console, you just do, it can't be avoided. The end result though, is vastly superior in many ways.

If you can come to appreciate those aspects, then it will be a lot easier to deal with the downsides, like not sitting on the couch, or not using a controller.

I built a new-ish PC for BF3. Sure, it looks grand but I quickly got fed up with the typical PC issues (Origin login/account nonsense, drivers, obsessing about various gfx settings for optimal performance, asshole server admins booting you, etc). I ended up playing BF3 on my 360 and never looked back. A more (nearly) trouble free experience, and the 360 visuals were good enough for me. At least I can use my PC as a Photoshop rig, at task for which it is quite well suited as it turns out.

I doubt I will ever game on a PC again, especially when the new consoles appear.

The variety you get on Steam is just amazing as well, compared to Console, you can pick up tons and tons of amazing games in th $3-20 price range, games that just don't exist anywhere else.

How's that different than discounted games on demand + Live Arcade?

There is a shit ton of shovelware on Steam. The average quality is much lower than what's on offer on consoles.

I know XBL has cloud saves, but it's no comparison to the ease of Steam.
Huh? The first thing every Xbox games does is ask for which storage device to use, you pick cloud saves, and that's it.

Cheers

I built a new-ish PC for BF3. Sure, it looks grand but I quickly got fed up with the typical PC issues (Origin login/account nonsense, drivers, obsessing about various gfx settings for optimal performance, asshole server admins booting you, etc). I ended up playing BF3 on my 360 and never looked back. A more (nearly) trouble free experience, and the 360 visuals were good enough for me. At least I can use my PC as a Photoshop rig, at task for which it is quite well suited as it turns out.

I doubt I will ever game on a PC again, especially when the new consoles appear.

Your the only person I know that has driver issues...... PC's these days are pretty much idiot proof.

And ass hole server admins? They're a lot more common on consoles.

How's that different than discounted games on demand + Live Arcade?

1. The discounts on live are crap compared to Steam deals. Steam has games up to 75% off, and are constantly rotating them. And they do tons of bundles. Xbox is no comparison, on Xbox you get 33% off a single game, after the game has become old. That's it. **Yawn**. As an example, last week Steam ran the entire "Total War" series on sale, all week long a different title was hugley marked down, and they offered a bundle with all 9 titles for like $90, the values are just insane!
2. MS approves just 24 Arcade titles a year. One every 2 weeks, that's pathetically low.

There is a shit ton of shovelware on Steam. The average quality is much lower than what's on offer on consoles.

And 'average quality' is meaningful why? The question really, is: which has more great and innovative games? And it's Steam hands down. Steam lists the Metacritic score for every title directly in the description...so shifting through shovelware has never been an issue.

Huh? The first thing every Xbox games does is ask for which storage device to use, you pick cloud saves, and that's it.

Which is great as long as I brought my discs and have another Xbox :) With Steam I can play anywhere, on any PC, or even on a Win8 Tablet.

1. The discounts on live are crap compared to Steam deals. Steam has games up to 75% off, and are constantly rotating them. And they do tons of bundles. Xbox is no comparison, on Xbox you get 33% off a single game

Simply not true. Games two years or older are either $15 or $19.95 vs $60 for new. Ninja Gaiden 2, a 3 months old game, is 50% off.

If you want old games on disc, go to EB games and buy them second hand for almost nothing.

Which is great as long as I brought my discs and have another Xbox :) With Steam I can play anywhere, on any PC, or even on a Win8 Tablet.

That's wonderful if you're globetrotter. I play at home, in front of my decently sized TV and my excellent speakers.

Cheers

To me what you're kinda saying is, I want an eagle. But it needs to be the same price as a duck, walk like a duck, have the same shape as a duck, and do all the things a duck can do... sounds like you should just get a duck.

You're forcing restrictions that handicap the entire discussion. 1, it must match the console's form factor, and 2, that it cost the same.
:???: I honestly don't understand why people keep getting this so confused. I wasn't asking for PC to be the same size as a console and the same price. I was asking what things cost. If I was to play on a PC, how much would it cost, and how much to get it smaller?

To use your analogy, I like ducks. I'm asking if the things I like about ducks can be had with eagles, or if I switch to eagles, what would I lose that I like about ducks (and gain in other ways, but I already know the gains so don't have to ask).

Things I like about ducks: Feathers, swimmers, can fly, make a fun 'quack' sound.
Things eagles can offer: Feathers, better fliers, a 'screech' sound, sharp talons.

So, as a duck fancier, to switch to eagles the price, excluding fiscal costs, would be the loss of quacks and swimming. If I can't live without those then I should stick to ducks. However, if I'm willing to forgo those features, eagles offer the alternative of better flight and pointy talons. That could be appealing, or not, depending on subjective personal preference. We can also add running costs, but people get hung up on dollar values and lose sight of the bigger picture the moment it's raised.

It seems a standard limitation of all discussions that a party is considered partisan, nullifying any attempt at open, honest discussion. I don't understand where that comes from, or why.

I think this thread has served it's purpose and it's just beating a dead horse

If anyone want's to or is thinking of getting into PC gaming and wants to know cost's and options then PM me with your budget and I'll help you best I can.

Back