Why Split Screen Still Matters

fearsomepirate

Dinosaur Hunter
Veteran
Quick, what do the best-selling IPs Call of Duty, Wii Sports, Rock Band, Gears of War, Halo, Gran Turismo, and Forza all have in common? They can all be played with others on the same machine!

I've talked about it before, but it still matters. I know, I know. "Nobody plays split screen any more." "Online is better." Both of these are false, but how did the belief come about they're true. First, here's my theory:

Why People Think "No One" Plays Together
I have this theory. Maybe it's wrong. Maybe it's crazy. But at the offices of major game reviewers, and at the development studio, everyone's got a machine, a monitor, and a copy of the game at his desk. Of course these people truly never play split screen. Two guys in IGN offices, sitting in adjacent areas, can load up Call of Duty and play together over the Internet. And they will. And on forums like this one and neogaf, a lot of them are heavy gamers who play online a lot (by themselves, of course), and their main gamer friends are people they know only over the Internet and play with over Xbox Live or PSN.

"But online is so much better!"
Here's the basic problem in reasoning. Online and split-screen are not better or worse. They're different things entirely. It's an easy mistake to make because there are lots of similarities, but it's still a mistake. Online gaming is focused on the game. The game is the experience, whether you're on public servers or with friends. Split-screen gaming is an accessory and enhancement to meatspace social gatherings. It does the same job that playing euchre together does. It's not "better" or "worse" than online. It just does a totally different job that online gaming is completely incapable of doing. Playing video games together has been fun since Pong. It hasn't stopped being fun. The industry's just...stopped making games we can play together. But why cede that area of entertainment to other industries?

"Nobody plays split-screen any more!"
Go to Walmart or Best Buy. What peripheral takes up a big chunk of the shelf space for all three consoles? That's right, extra controllers. Store managers aren't stupid; they know what people are buying. Why are people buying second controllers if they have no intention of ever using them? If they're buying the controllers, they're going to buy at least a couple games to use them with, even if the primary feature of the game is its campaign or online mode, if you need a game to play locally, it doesn't matter what the primary feature is. And I know for a fact young men in college still play games together. For shooters, their only options are pretty much COD and Halo, and no one else is even trying to compete.

Bonus: It's free marketing.
Hearing that a game is really cool can convince someone to pick it up. Seeing screenshots and videos helps, too, if you manage to get him to see them. But you know what really works? Putting the controller in his hands. That strategy was part of how Nintendo successfully sold so many Wiis.

So that's my case. Tell me if you agree, or why you think I'm an idiot!

Agreed ... but #1 reason split screen / local MP matters is ...

I want it.

Proper MP is a top 3 platform defining feature/sales point to me and the more local MP, the more "proper" the MP experience is.

And as a consumer everything I want is important, thus local/split screen MP is a MAJOR feature! ;)

Fair enough! As consumers, it's our right to be extremely selfish!

I've had this post percolating around every since I realized that despite being kind of tired of the series, I will still get Black Ops 2 anyway, because it's the only game with good local multi these days.

Yes, ever since my nephew n miece have grown up, split screen has become the major decision when buying a game. If the game doesn't offer any kindof of local co-op or MP, we don't buy it. Split screen gaming is a laugh riot, And anyways, the kids need help in playing the games. If the game doesn't have split screen, they usually can't finish levels at all on their own.

Recently, UC3 was the most played game in our house not due to its stellar campaign, but due to the split-screen co-op play. The kids are big fans of Drake, haveing watched me play each Uncharted from start to finish, but nothing beats playing the game on their own. So, they never bothered to play the SP at all, and just went crazy playing co-op for their whole summer vacation.

Now, I am contemplating getting Starhawk for thei winter vacations , as it has a great split screen co-op mode too.

split screen is awesome. i love it last gen where so many games have split screen.

playing crash team racing, chocobo racing. feels great in split screen because i can interact directly with the other player. (laugh, punch him/her, talking, seeing stoopid face, etc)

Local coop is the important thing, whether splitting the screen or not. Of course we have the option of each player having their own SD TV display in a quarter 1080p, but developers have shunned that sadly.

I mean, who here doesn't remember four player split screen co-op with Halo? Those were one of the best experiences I have ever had with a video game. Though I do agree with RudeCurve about local MP through system link. Having to do it with split screen while fun, there was just that thing everyone hated called "screen-looking". Good times.....

Halo supported split screen and system link! Two teams of four, two rooms, two tvs. So much fun and quite affordable. Felt sorry for the guy who had to walk across town with an Xbox in his rucksack though.

The TV's are getting bigger and split screen is getting rarer... I guess that this trend is obviously not something which is going to turn around. I predict that by the time people have standardised to 50"+ sets the idea of split screen gaming will be a distant memory. Obviously more real-estate means split screen gaming becomes even less practical as compared to squinting at a 29" CRT all those years back.

Of course split screen still matters and it's still a great feature, in fact any local mp option is awesome...too bad that more and more developers and maybe publishers are abandoning the split screen and system link options forcing players to play online.

I've spent many hours this gen into system link with a friend, played a lot of great co-op games that way - had a blast with the Gears series, Borderlands, Halo series, Portal 2, Crackdown, RE5, Splinter Cell: Conviction e.t.c. too bad that devs like R* don't have system link options, every EA game also doesn't support it, Infinity Ward dropped it for Spec Ops missions in MW3, hell even Crackdown 2 dropped the system link option because apparently "It would've taken a half-day of work, for something that only a tiny percentage of gamers will ever use.".. more and more devs cut this option and it completely sucks because system link is the best way to play with a friend locally IMO.

I hope that Halo 4, Borderlands 2, RE6, Gears Judgement will have system link options. :(

System link would be way better if only tablet makers had the sense to provide an HDMI in as well. Otherwise multiple TVs and consoles is only really going to work with hardcore gamers rather than family and friend get-togethers.

I've had the experience of playing Gears games (all 3) and Halo 3/Reach in system link with 10 people. There's nothing quite like it. In the past me and my friends used to play on system link once every month, we'd gather at a friend's place and bring the necessary stuff down to that person's house and play for the whole weekend. Good times.

Local co-op is a need for us want the buying decision come, ex: MW3 or BF3? The choice go to MW3 due to the slip-screen multiplayer and spec ops, sadly campaign don't got it.
System link remember me LAN friends party.

@Shifty: I'm with you with the used of tablet for local co-op, may be with wireless video transmission is more useful. I' thinking that a futur better way to sell 3DTV to gamers is to provide a full view for dual local or a split-screen for four local via stereoscopic technic?

@Squilliam:Yes is really "funny" that more TV are bigger less games have dual and less more four split-screens. :(

System link is awesome if you have multiple TVs, multiple machines, and multiple copies of the game. Unfortunately, none of my PS3-having friends own the same games as me, and none of my friends who have the same games as me have a PS3. LAN parties for me still always end up being the PC.
Kameradschaft said:
Of course split screen still matters and it's still a great feature, in fact any local mp option is awesome...too bad that more and more developers and maybe publishers are abandoning the split screen and system link options forcing players to play online.
They're not forcing us to play online. Local multi happens when friends are together and want to play video games. When I have a boys' night with a few friends, if we want to play video games, we don't all split up and go home. We either play Call of Duty or a last-gen game. Or we do something else. What the developers of, say, Medal of Honor and Crysis force me to do is not play their game at all on Friday night.

Uncharted 3 got LAN support thanks to the PSN outage, and split-screen support thanks to 3D. ;) I wouldn't know of too many others though. We still managed to do a good number of lag-free GT5 LAN party sessions despite the online requirement, but it's a lot more work than it was in the iLink days. That was by far the easiest.

We were playing PS2 Champions of Norrath again last night. That game still looks better and plays better (when you turn the TV's sharpness to 0) than every similar dungeon romp this gen. Maybe Dungeon Siege 3 looks better, but it's not as fun or tight.

But we also considered to what to play prior to deciding on CON, and there just don't seem to be too many options for local multiplayer, especially four players. I don't think there's even been an XMen multiplayer game other than that year-one version. All this amazing processingpower power and options for clever team-play and opportunitiy for split-screen independence on a large HD screen, and no-one's doing squat with it. :(

Of course it also depends on what games you're interested in. From Pacific Rift up to and including MotorStorm RC there is 4 player split-screen. ModNation Racers too, iirc. And if you like Music Games ... ;)

You probably know this site, right? Don't know how complete it is, but looks like a good start.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/2/playstation-3.html

Note they have a separate section for PSN games:

http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=12&page=2

Also, note that stuff like MotorStorm isn't on there, because it's not co-op, but competitive.

Sure. And using Co-optimus, you don't get many 4 player games. Finding something that everyone wants to play is tricky. Coop typically means a solo game with duplicates of the protagonist, all effectively playing independently. Football is a rare example of needing teamwork. Otherwise, short of healing a teammate, coop is very weak and hasn't evolved since the days of Gauntlet.

Well I think shooters with 4 player co-op modes do tend to show some evolution at least. Of course not many of those are four player co-op on the same screen ... And yeah, most sports games can be a lot of fun (and there are a lot of them). Oh and of course LBP has been a fun 4 player experience, but certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

Back