What’s the price of switching from console to PC?

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
What would it cost a console gamer to switch to PC gaming?
(aka "the PC vs Console smackdown thread")

Mainstream gaming has long been the domain of dedicated boxes sat under the living room TV, and the development of the console and its software has followed this particular placement within the household. However, with the consolidation of hardware and software, with console’s becoming PCs in architecture and software often being cross-platform and running on middleware engines, console’s no longer have the game library advantage they once had. At which point it’s worth considering as a console gamer whether it’s time to switch over to PC and benefit from the advantages of flexibility regards hardware utility. I’ve given this a little look along with the idea of an updated PC for video editing, but it seems quite complex and certainly a lot pricier than some suggest in other threads. Hence this thread to tackle the perennial issue without the discussion appearing in dribs and drabs throughout other threads, where we can actually attempt to identify all the costs beyond just the obvious fiscal ones which seem pretty different depending which side of the pond you’re sitting. I know there are PC builders out there happy to wade through price options and who actually know what mobos need to go with what CPUs where my eyes just gloss over… ;)

There’s a very personal perspective here, where I consider myself as a generic ‘core’ gamer who’s gamed about as long as there’s been gaming devices, from consoles to computers and back again. In my case there’s the possibility of buying a home workstation and using it to game. There’s also a more casual gamer perspective just replacing the gaming box with a PC.

Rules of engagement!
This thread needs to be discussed by both console and PC gamers, which means a thread crossing both forums. I appreciate this goes against a good many natural laws, and the potential collision of opposed, immiscible forces has the potential to destroy the universe as we know it. The streams should never be crossed, yet here I am trying to cross them. As such, you can expect it to be policed pretty draconically; it is my personal thread and some fool entrusted me the tools to take complete control and I will wield them! Don’t be surprised if your posts disappear without any warning beyond this one if I consider them just nonsense. If you don’t intend to contribute with suitable maturity, or you’re incapable of accepting the subjective nature of many relevant opinions (eg. “Doesn’t look bad to me” or “is quite expensive”) and agreeing to disagree when appropriate, then quite frankly just @#£* off now and save me the effort of cleaning up after the fact! There's no needfor any great emotion here either. We can be objective where possible, and polite when disagreeing with someone's viewpoint.

---

To start with, my perspective. Picking up from the 90s, I was a computer gamer on Amiga which can be considered the best of both worlds with innovative mouse games and amazing arcade games, but it sadly died out. The PC of the time offered an expensive platform riddled with issues and inconveniences and poor performance for your money. PS1 appeared and brought about affordable, enjoyable 3D gaming with a comfortable controller and a significant social element, with us sat around the TV playing games, even solo games like Driver. PS2 offered more of the same, with superb value as the hardware and coding efficiencies provided superb experiences the PC wasn’t competing with. I still played some PC games like Dungeon Siege, but they couldn’t hold a candle to the likes of Dark Alliance (subjective opinion; do not discuss ;)). PS3 offered some considerable value, but also has started to introduce the misery I associate with the PC gaming of yesteryear – buggy games, patches, setup issues (particularly online, although that may be improved), long delays when you just want to game but instead it’s downloading a new firmware, dodgy framerates and tearing where once consoles were all about solid 30 and even 60 fps. Whereas over the past 10-12 years, PC has made huge strides. I find Win 7 stable and capable, although there’s still a long and unpleasant history with Windows that is hard to forgive and forget. Looking forwards, there’s a big question mark over the next-gen consoles. Chances are they’ll be a flavour of PC in hardware, with some benefits and some disadvantages. I don’t know the complete state of play on PC, so it’s time to ask.

So, features I value that I associate with console gaming, in no particular order:

• Convenience – put in a disk and play it. No installs, it just runs.
  • Stability – no need to reinstall the system every once in a while because it becomes clogged up with crap.
  • Controller support – I like console controllers and really can’t get on with KB+M. I want my games built around such controllers.
  • Portability – being able to pick up the machine and move it around the house or to someone else’s house. I don’t want to lug a small tower around.
  • Sociability – seems to me local coop is mostly a console feature. Games sometimes get local coop on console where they don’t on PC AFAIK, and we also get console specific content such as EyeToy or Kinect or Wii which are focussed on bringing people together.
  • Library – Sony are still able to provide compelling first-party content, and wheeling and dealing by MS and Sony secures exclusive content. If you want the full range of console games, PC on its own won’t be enough.
  • Price – a console costs £300 for hardware when I buy it. I keep looking and I keep seeing very little PC for the same sort of money (actually you can’t get a PC for that in the UK), especially when you consider consoles are ~£200 now and likely to get a price drop too. Perhaps I need to add onto that console price £150 after a few years for a replacement because consoles don’t have the quality they used to, although maybe that’s just this gen being a really bad one? :p Certainly when buying hardware though, Joe Gamer is going to see a £300 price ticket on a console and more likely a £500+ ticket on PC I think.
  • Network gaming – PSN is a bit poop, but looking forwards I expect it to be comparable to Live, at least in terms of partying up and cross-title chat. So no matter what machine one might buy next-gen, there’ll be a consistent friend network.
  • Quietness – PCs used to be howling monsters, and I don’t know how much that is still true or not. My laptop is certainly louder than my PS3 despite being a very lowly spec!
The question is, which of these can the PC compete with, and at what price? The console gamer wants zero maintenance (something this gen has let us down a bit on) – will Win 7/8 provide that for a period of years? Is there a suitable form factor that can replicate the console, and can it be price competitive?

This price thing is definitely a major issue, the most common one bandied about when this subject keeps coming up. The sorts of prices in the UK are from suppliers like eBuyer and Overclockers – a console-sized case seems to be about £40+ just to begin with. And could you even fit a decent next-gen console spec (let’s say 7850ish based on a sample of current rumours, with who-knows-what CPU) inside that case and have it cooled quietly without needing significant extra expenditure?

For the potential console buyer to be lured away to PC, what aspects of the console experience can the PC currently and with Win 8 provide at the £300 and £200 price points?

As an alternative, for someone like myself who is thinking of upgrading their PC for other work, what is the cost to support gaming and what would I lose out on, if anything, by not playing on a console?

tl;dr
1) How much PC could one get with their money if today, someone walking to a store to pick up a 360 or PS3 decided to get a PC instead? (£200)

2) How much would a PC cost of equivalent spec to a console around the launch period. eg. 7850 based in 2014, compared to a £400 XB3 or PS4?

3) How much would that same spec console cost in an equivalent sized case? PS3 phat was 324 x 98 x 274mm (12.81" x 10.79" x 3.86")

Post too long... o_O
Anyway, if you want to switch now don't spend more than 2k€, since the new consoles are coming, which means new and heavier console ports.

Consoles != PCs. PCs will always be more expensive and prone to incompatibilities. Plus pcs are bigger and harder to move around.

Err, I have both, a decent though no longer state of the art PC and consoles.

Honestly overall I typically like the 10 foot comfy couch console experience better. I just dont like playing games hunched over a monitor most of the time. But OTOH, sometimes a good PC game is the way to go. Sure, you can play PC games on your big screen, but there isn't a way to do it without complicating things imo (besides just the fact you really almost need two PC's, since I only have one main Desktop, which is on a desk)

I dunno, I feel like they compliment each other. I like the capability to do both.

For a decent PC rig that will have some legs, I think the realistic budget would be ~$700+, so it's NOT cheap despite what people might try to tell you. PC components have an incredibly well defined sweet spot, and buying above or below it is generally stupid imo. It's no big to pay $400 for a PC graphics card (say, a GTX 670, which is probably the best selling card), which if you think about it is a price we'd blanch at for an entire console with everything included! OTOH, there's some truth to the fact you can likely save some significant $ on PC software over time, it's usually cheaper. Whether they balance out in the long run I dont know. Not for someone with my purchasing habits, which is to buy a few triple A games at launch day per year.

One problem that adds to the cost of PC gaming imo is the "max" factor. Usually you want your box to be able to max everything in the vast majority of games (talking about visual eye candy settings, not so much AA and for me 30 FPS is fine). Once you start having to turn settings down, you feel like you're forced to upgrade. At least I do. I am sure there is plenty of people who are content turning settings down, but it's tough. Who cares if your PC can run games at settings that can blow away the consoles, if you cant max everything there's a palpable feeling of missing out, at least for me.

I think Steam has helped with a lot of the complexity issues, though of course they still exist. I dont really use steam but as I understand, it kind of automates the games installing and patching process. EG, latest patches to games are installed by steam automatically.

If you really want a console-like box, as opposed to just PC gaming in general, the X51 with a good card would be the way to go. But it'll cost ~ 1 grand. There's also this: http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/chassis/prodigy/

It'll be a lot more flexible than the X51 setup, but also significantly larger.

Just came back from Frys, this was all on their store shelves:

Intel Core i5 quad core cpu, $189
Asus P8P67 Evo board, $79
Patriot 8GB DDR3 ram, $34
Nvidia 670, $359

Re-use your old case, hdd, keyboard and mouse as there is no need to rebuy those parts. So $661 total. Alternatively you can get an NVidia 580 on ebay for about $250, which would make it $552. That's without doing any shopping around, it will all likely be cheaper online. You'll save loads of cash on games (eg, I just got Darksiders 2 for $25 on pc) so the cost factor will quickly tip in the pc's favor. As a side bonus you'll get to play every game at max detail at 1920x1080, play emulators, have a fast fully functional browser, play any video file ever created regardless of format, listen to spotify, etc...

A decent t PC will cost you £600-700 and that will come with a 7950 which will blast any game at 1080p.

PC games tend to be cheaper then console games and then we have the STEAM sale which is stupidly cheap, so if you were to factor it over say 2 year period the money you save on the games would be used to upgrade the graphics cards every 2 years or so.

The initial out lay for a PC would be slightly more expensive then the price of a new console at launch but when looking at both over the consoles entire life span the PC would work out cheaper due to the sheer cheapness of the games.

And you get all the benefits of PC, higher resolutions, better frame rates, high IQ and of course there the modding scene.

Post too long... o_O
Your right, most people will probably just reply to the thread title. Acert is still laughing at my feeble opener though...
Anyway, if you want to switch now don't spend more than 2k€, since the new consoles are coming, which means new and heavier console ports.
>£300 is a no-no. That's the sort of entry price console gamers are going for in the UK. £300-400 for the early days, and certainly 300 after a year or two.

Just came back from Frys, this was all on their store shelves:

Intel Core i5 quad core cpu, $189
Asus P8P67 Evo board, $79
Patriot 8GB DDR3 ram, $34
Nvidia 670, $359
eBuyer prices:

cheapest i5 = £136
Asus P8P67 Evo board = $118
Crucial 8GB RAM (Patriot unavailable) = £26
Inn3D Nvidia 670= £290

total price = £570, well above the £300 target price.

Re-use your old case
That loses the form desired console factor, plus I don't have a suitable HDD. ;)

Just made this up, it's not using the cheapest of the cheap parts, if I did use the cheapest parts around you could knock another £100-150 off, the 7950 is expensive as you can get them for around the £220 mark if you shop around.

https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/ijvhMOl15t_IkcA4Bhf-lA,,

You add another 7950 and go crossfire for an extra £200 which would make the machine last for years.

SSD for stupid fast OS boot times, I know the OS is missing in my list but I was unsure of which one to pack it with.

8Gb RAM, more then enough.

PS3 launched at £600 in the UK and most people paid close to £1000 on certain sites to make sure they got one for Xmas..... That PC seems cheap now doesn't it.

And on top of that it's lot more functional then a console.

Last edited by a moderator:
A decent t PC will cost you £600-700 and that will come with a 7950 which will blast any game at 1080p.

PC games tend to be cheaper then console games and then we have the STEAM sale which is stupidly cheap, so if you were to factor it over say 2 year period the money you save on the games would be used to upgrade the graphics cards every 2 years or so.
And you get all the benefits of PC, higher resolutions, better frame rates, high IQ and of course there the modding scene.
You and Joker respond the same way, which suggests that the costs are
1) higher hardware price
2) loss of form factor and portability

You then go on to promote the advantages, which aren't of great interest to me. I like Steam's options, but I don't buy many games, mostly buying PSN titles myself. Going by the attach rate for consoles at about 9 (MS report from NPD), the typical gamer will gain from software 9x whatever the saving is. If that's a difference of $20 on Steam vs. $60 on console, then the savings are $40 x 9 = $360. But if the difference is $20, that's a price saving of $180 which doesn't cover the increased cost in hardware.

Looking at Steam now for a comparison at a couple of games that have me interested at the moment, XCom and BL2 are both listed for £30. they're £35 on PS3 online, and I see £25 for PC download from ShopTo. The savings don't appear that great for immediate retail releases, and it's hard to compare sales (a friend picked up BL2 for £30 on PS3 in a supermarket).

What about the other points?
1) What is the cost of a console-form-factor PC that's as quiet and convenient?
2) Are PC parts as loud as I remember them unless you pay extra for quiet solutions?
3) What about the online experience? Is there a SteamNET for partying up and chatting between games? I know part of the answer to that is multitasking Skype, as we did that with other games.
4) Do PCs provide the same couch-coop experience on titles like Trine and FIFA and Borderlands?

Higher resolution, Spotify, and modding aren't equivalent replacements for any of these. ;)

PS3 launched at £600 in the UK and most people paid close to £1000 on certain sites to make sure they got one for Xmas..... That PC seems cheap now doesn't it.

And on top of that it's lot more functional then a console.
Most people don't pay top dollar for their console. I certainly don't. And we're all agreeing elsewhere that it's unlikely PS4 or XB3 will be that price because they don't need to be without crazy investments in CPUs and optical drives.

So please stick to the more generalised price target of £300-400 and compare that to a two-year-old console, to factor what Joe Public gets for their console money versus PC. Buying older PC hardware would make it cheaper and still console-equivalent, but I don't think it can be made into a console form-factor at low noise and low price. The GPU IHVs don't shrink their old GPUs to new process nodes to get the same performance smaller and quieter, so you'd need some other parts.

I just don't see an acceptable solution for the price you wish to pay which is equivalent to what you get in a console with an HTPC.

This thread is pointless if your going to do is put biased limitations on things.....

PC gaming over a consoles life span will work out cheaper, comparing it right now when we're half way through a consoles life cycles is quite frankly, stupid.

You may not want to spend more then £300 on a consoles but there's others that would pay double or even triple that but yet we have a £300 limit because YOU don't want to pay more, biased thread is biased.

It seems that you don't know a lot about modern PC hardware to make this thread worth while, I can buy a little mini ATX case which would be half the size of a regular PC.

Quietness? I can build a PC so quiet that would need to put your ear on the damn thing to be able to hear it.

Onlin experience? The one area that console will never match PC, you get games that can handle more players per server then console, frame rates are better so less input lag, the list is endless. And yes you can cross game chat with steam as you play.

1. Can consoles provide the same quietness as a PC?
2. Can console provide a comparable online experience?
3. Can consoles do a much or offer much flexibility as a PC?
4. Do consoles offer an upgrade path should people want it?
5. Do consoles have regular sales with games being up to 85% cheaper?

The main difference between a console gamer and a PC gamer.... Us PC gamers games spend what we CHOOSE to spend, you console gamers have to spend what Sony and Microsoft TELL you to spend.

If you want a particular console you have pay what they tell you to pay, wait, or go without.

I've dropped £7000 on my PC because I CHOSE to do so, this option of choice is a liberty you gamers have not got a lot of.

I just don't see an acceptable solution for the price you wish to pay which is equivalent to what you get in a console with an HTPC.
That's how it's looking. Which means the options for PC ought to be distilled. We need to know:

Price for a console form-factor PC of equivalent power
Price for an equivalent power PC regardless of form factor

The former actually looks like it'll be high.

There's also another consideration in the PC purchase which is if one is going to get a home PC for work and a console for games, if that console money went on the PC then how would that work out? Could be that a small form factor PC can be funded by the console budget. I don't want to move away from the typical console buyer though in seeing whether PCs really have become a viable alternative for Joe Gamer. He's got £300-£500 burning a hole in his back pocket and he wants to play computer games in a box that fits my list of valued features. Is the PC viable at that budget?

This thread is pointless if your going to do is put biased limitations on things.....
Those limitations are the requirement of the console gamer. It has nothing to do with bias and everything to do with budget and experience.

PC gaming over a consoles life span will work out cheaper, comparing it right now when we're half way through a consoles life cycles is quite frankly, stupid.
That's an assumption that hasn't yet been proven. It's also a hard sell if the cost is very high up front with gradual savings.

You may not want to spend more then £300 on a consoles but there's others that would pay double or even triple that but yet we have a £300 limit because YOU don't want to pay more, biased thread is biased.
You can set whatever price you want for the PC of your recommendation. That will be the answer to the question. "What is the cost of gaming on PC? £900 up front plus £20 a game for 30 games" or somesuch. The actual hardware cost could be cheaper if buying older hardware.

It seems that you don't know a lot about modern PC hardware to make this thread worth while, I can buy a little mini ATX case which would be half the size of a regular PC.
WHICH IS WHY I'M ASKING! :p I looked up Mini ATX cases which are still quite a bit larger than the PS3, but I don't know what hardware they can take. Thus it makes sense to open the question up to those with experience. It's the same as any PC build challenge - here are my requirements. How much will it cost?

All I need is a cost (two, one for console-like form factor, and one for just the performance), which currently stands at maybe £800 on your recommendation.

Onlin experience? ...frame rates are better...
That depends. If you have better hardware, yes. But if you only have console performance hardware and aren't upgrading (let's say in 2007 you bought a 7900 GTX PC instead of a PS3), will it be any better off? But by online experience I don't really mean the network mechanics, for which all platforms are acceptable. I mean the experience of firing up the system, seeing who's currently playing online, starting a chat with them, agreeing to play something together, partying up and playing. PSN fails at a lot of this. XB gets it bang on. I believe PC is to get this experience via Live at some point? Or Steam?
And yes you can cross game chat with steam as you play.
Okay.

The main difference between a console gamer and a PC gamer.... Us PC gamers games spend what we CHOOSE to spend, you console gamers have to spend what Sony and Microsoft TELL you to spend.
You're failing to understand the purpose of the thread. This is not "is PC gaming better than console gaming?" to which you can reply, "it's quieter, faster, more versatile, improves over time, etc." This is NOT that thread. It's "how much does it cost to get the console gaming experience on PC?" as an investigation into whether PC gaming is a suitable replacement to consoles for masses.

A console experience could be done for around £300-400.

But that's all it would be, a console experience maybe a little better gaming resolutions, settings and IQ and the added benefit that it's a PC, so you can do so much more with it.

If you said £300 for a console and then the same £300 again for an office PC that's a total of £600 and in my opinion the money would be better spent on a complete gaming PC.

Your £20 per game for 30 is very unrelistic in the PC world, PC games generally launch at cheaters prices then console versions and also tend to reduce in price much faster then console games.

STEAMS sale is ridiculously cheap.

This isn't a bad article, it's not exactly scientific and perfect in its execution but the parts of the games is interesting

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/12/13/is-pc-gaming-really-more-expensive-than-consoles?page=2

My little brother has 60+ games for his 360 and half of those of multiplats so on the PC at a conservative saving of £10 per game you're looking at a £300 saving at minimum.

I bought GTA4 off STEAM for £4, a used console copy of GTA4 would still cost 3-4 times that amount.

I think that because not many people game on PC they don't realise just how much you save on the games.

You said £900 up front then £20 per game for 30 games, that's £1500

That's for what is a high end machine, if we do the same for a top console SKU you're looking at £250 for a 500Gb PS3.

So with the games being at.east £10 more expensive that's a total of £1,150

But you would need an office PC with the console which would cost, with a monitor upto that £350 mark.

Factor in that in reality and with the STEAM sale you would save even more money on the PC games and in reality the PC is cheaper and because its an high end gaming machine offers an gaming experience that the consoles just will not match.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 10 minutes I have assembled a computer for arround 450 pounds capable enough (or at least I think so) silent, nice to view and movable.

I have used ALTERNATE configurator.

- Pentium G850
- Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 Micro ATX
- 2x2 Gb Kingston DDR3-1066
- Gigabyte Pcie GV-N550D5-1GI Nvidia GTX 550Ti 1Gb
- Western digital 500Gb HD WD5000AAKX
- DVD-RW Sony AD-5280S-0B
- Be Quiet Pure Power L7 430W PSU
- Logitech Mk220 Keyboard+Mouse wireless
- Silerstone SUGO SG02W-F
- Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium

you could use your joypad.
You could play most games perfectly at better than console resolutions.

Convenience – Nowadays consoles are just same "inconvenient" as PC, or viceversa.
Stability – Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium, one motherboard change, 2 graphics cards, more memory, various HDs and HD to SSD, etc. and no one lock. Two or three ate the begining cused by old rare programs.
Controller support – No porblem with XBox 360 controler.
Portability – It depends on you definition of portability, I think you can make a very portable PC, and I am not looking into Mini ITX even.
Sociability – That is a personal taste, I hate multiplaer in one screen.
Library – The same happens with PC exclusives,again a personal taste.
Price – Look at the PC, you could go even with a cheaper one if you like just 1280x720 console HD resolution, for hardcore games and FullHD for casual games, or emulators.
Quietness – If you like it is a solved problem.

I have been a gamer since Atari 2600, and I have used or owned most of consoles and computers (even MSX TurboR, Amiga CD32 and the like). At this moment I am a PC only gamer, because I have more than enough games for my vice time :LOL:. But probably I wil buy a next gen console if is a multimedia hub too. At the end is just a personal taste, but I think today consoles and PC are more near than ever. Those are not SNES or PS1 times.

PD. Please excuse my english.

Osamar said:
In 10 minutes I have assembled a computer for arround 450 pounds capable enough (or at least I think so) silent, nice to view and movable.

I have used ALTERNATE configurator.

- Pentium G850
- Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 Micro ATX
- 2x2 Gb Kingston DDR3-1066
- Gigabyte Pcie GV-N550D5-1GI Nvidia GTX 550Ti 1Gb
- Western digital 500Gb HD WD5000AAKX
- DVD-RW Sony AD-5280S-0B
- Be Quiet Pure Power L7 430W PSU
- Logitech Mk220 Keyboard+Mouse wireless
- Silerstone SUGO SG02W-F
- Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium

you could use your joypad.
You could play most games perfectly at better than console resolutions.

Convenience – Nowadays consoles are just same "inconvenient" as PC, or viceversa.
Stability – Windows 7 64 bits Home Premium, one motherboard change, 2 graphics cards, more memory, various HDs and HD to SSD, etc. and no one lock. Two or three ate the begining cused by old rare programs.
Controller support – No porblem with XBox 360 controler.
Portability – It depends on you definition of portability, I think you can make a very portable PC, and I am not looking into Mini ITX even.
Sociability – That is a personal taste, I hate multiplaer in one screen.
Library – The same happens with PC exclusives,again a personal taste.
Price – Look at the PC, you could go even with a cheaper one if you like just 1280x720 console HD resolution, for hardcore games and FullHD for casual games, or emulators.
Quietness – If you like it is a solved problem.

I have been a gamer since Atari 2600, and I have used or owned most of consoles and computers (even MSX TurboR, Amiga CD32 and the like). At this moment I am a PC only gamer, because I have more than enough games for my vice time :LOL:. But probably I wil buy a next gen console if is a multimedia hub too. At the end is just a personal taste, but I think today consoles and PC are more near than ever. Those are not SNES or PS1 times.

PD. Please excuse my english.

I dont think everyone is willing to waste hours trying to check hardwate compatibility, find the best prices for the best hardware money can buy and then when he purchases all the parts (maybe from the internet from various sellers) put time to build it themselves. The console is ready to buy and plug in. Few are experts and patient enough to build their own PCs

A console experience could be done for around £300-400.

But that's all it would be, a console experience.
That's all Joe Gamer wants. ;) However, is that comparable to the launch spec of a new console at the same price? Also what about the other aspects, like the couch coop?

I've updated the OP with a tl;dr for three PC build targets, which are more specific and easy to come up with metrics for.

If you said £300 for a console and then the same £300 again for an office PC that's a total of £600 and in my opinion the money would be better spent on a complete gaming PC.
That's what I want clarified. I have that consideration, as does potentially any games player. Should I get a new, non-gaming PC for £300 and a console for £300, or just a better PC rig? Well, can the PC rig do what I want for that £600 - be equivalent hardware to a next-gen console in the same form factor? Although in my case it'll be should I get a £700 Pc and no console, or a £300 console and stick with my current, very serviceable PC?

This isn't a bad article, it's not exactly scientific and perfect in its execution but the parts of the games is interesting

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/12/13/is-pc-gaming-really-more-expensive-than-consoles?page=2
This article would appear to be an attempt to answer my question, but it doesn't make like-for-like comparisons. It treats PC gaming as different to console gaming, which is exactly what I'm wanting to avoid. Adding in the cost of the display is silly when the intention is to game on the existing living room TV with either box. Thus the hardware cost is literally £600 vs. £200. Costs like controllers are the same for both machines if you are aiming for the same requirements. But then they overspent on the PC because the person considering getting a 360 would need a lot less power in the PC to get the same quality game tech which they'd clearly be happy with.

The point on games is fair, but that depends a great deal on how much the individual spends on games. For hardcore gamers buying 40+ games, PC is going to have amazing savings. But for the average console gamer with an attach rate of 9 games, the per-title savings aren't going to add up to much. Plus you can buy console games plenty cheap enough if you wait for sales. I'm not saying it's equivalent, but that it's hard to quantify the software savings when factoring in the cost of ownership, and varies greatly per individual.

That's for what is a high end machine, if we do the same for a top console SKU you're looking at £250 for a 500Gb PS3.

So with the games being at.east £10 more expensive that's a total of £1,150

But you would need an office PC with the console which would cost, with a monitor upto that £350 mark.
For the same PC functionality, yes. But I assume everyone already has a working PC now, so buying a PC isn't a necessity. I don't need a new PC. I'm wanting one, but it's optional and depends on bank account. A new gaming platform is a 'necessity' probably as a hobby, which means I will be spending some hundreds of pounds some time in the next few years on a new platform to game on. There's a distinction to be made in buying habits of the consumer. They go out looking for a machine to play games on, and at a different time go out looking for a PC.

This is where, certainly for myself, console appear to offer much better value, but then I'm not sure what the PC prices and performances are really like. It may be that in 2013 I could get a PC the same sort of spec as an XB3 for only a couple hundred quid more, making it better value. But I need that actual dollar figure! ;)

Back