Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is dumb. There's no market big enough to go after that would buy the darn thing. What, are they going after that PS3-owning crowd? That tiny sliver? Yeah, THAT'S brilliant.

If they want to go after markets that will net them considerably bigger profits, drop the price on the fricking Core system already. I mean, cripe, how obvious does it have to be before MS makes the move? The Wii is on track to trounce its pseudo-competitors largely based on price.

Yes it's still expensive but I'm not really so certain it's as bad as it seems.
If anything it shows how significant the hdd effects the systems overall price. Going forward it will make the core more attractive

hm...Yeah. I don't know what the Canadian cost is going to translate toward, but here I can get a 120GB SATA 5400RPM 2.5" drive for less than approximately $120. Even if you include the cost of an enclosure ($50 for an eSATA for that size), that's about $170 CAD. That's roughly $150 USD at the moment.

So I suppose it's not that bad. One just has to consider that it's not a 3.5" drive that is typically a lot cheaper per GB.

Don't you need to look at the Delta of the hard drives though?

That is, the current Premium comes with an HD, albeit far smaller.

I know I am going to get this model, but really I like the video marketplace announcements even more which necessitates me having a larger drive. More HD movies, ADV Films releases (please be good!), Warner testing day-and-date releases (that is amazing)...

edit: used the gamerscore blog link

Last edited by a moderator:
This is dumb. There's no market big enough to go after that would buy the darn thing. What, are they going after that PS3-owning crowd? That tiny sliver? Yeah, THAT'S brilliant.

If they want to go after markets that will net them considerably bigger profits, drop the price on the fricking Core system already. I mean, cripe, how obvious does it have to be before MS makes the move? The Wii is on track to trounce its pseudo-competitors largely based on price.

Yup, we've talked alot about how MS is in a position to dictate their future going forward, and with decisions like this it seems they are deciding that they do not want to be market leader this generation. First time in history a console has increased price after launching. Bravo *golf clap*

I think the most impactful part of this announcement, is that it basically makes a pricedrop totally out of the question for the forseeable future. They can't release a new SKU at $480 and drop the price 2 or 3 months later. Now what happens if Sony drops their price by $100 at E3 in July and makes the 20gb readily available?? Whoops!!

I dunno, it doesn't really affect me, so I'm not too dissapointed. 360 is ensured it's fair share of great games. But at this point, I'm pretty much leaning towards Sony to make a comeback, and hope that they get the success they deserve with their open HW policy. MS had a good strategy, but they're squandering it, and they are setting precedents ($180 HDD) I don't think any of us want to see in the industry.

It's just braindead. The entire concept of SKU's is stupid. Just release the base console as cheaply as possible, provide affordable peripherals and let the consumers build their own. There is absolutely no need for additonal SKU's, HDMI is a niche feature that could simply be integrated into the existing models without anyone batting much of an eyelash.

think the most impactful part of this announcement, is that it basically makes a pricedrop totally out of the question for the forseeable future. They can't release a new SKU at $480 and drop the price 2 or 3 months later.
I wouldn't necessarily be convinced of that. There's nothing to suggest that the price ranges in the near term may not stretch out a little - the Elite version staying that the higher price, to still give the XBOX line a air of a premium solution, while the two lower models do see price drops. I'd suspect that this elite model is closer to, if not actually, achieving profit on the hardware so it could help to facilitate a price drop on the other models.

Don't you need to look at the Delta of the hard drives though?

That is, the current Premium comes with an HD, albeit far smaller.

hm?

I'm only looking at the cost of the 120GB standalone add-on, which is $179USD.

I think I understand the reasoning MS had in mind for this SKU.

The question they are addressing is not:
"How can we sell more xbox360's?"

Instead it is:
"How can we stop PS3's from being sold?"

And the solution they came up with was "Lets make it black, add HDMI, and a bigger HDD"

The actual answer for "How can we sell more 360's" is "get more developers to make quality xbox games". But they are betting that if they can prevent PS3 sales from happening, the chances of dev focusing on 360 will be improved.

I've always felt that the war for about the first few years is really for the hearts and minds of the developers. It has little to do with consumers decisions. Consumers just end up as pawns in the war for developer mind share. By far, the biggest impacts in who comes out on top in the console wars are the developers decisions. Even publisher decisions are not as impacting imho.

I think I understand the reasoning MS had in mind for this SKU.

Instead it is:

And the solution they came up with was "Lets make it black, add HDMI, and a bigger HDD"

The actual answer for "How can we sell more 360's" is "get more developers to make quality xbox games". But they are betting that if they can prevent PS3 sales from happening, the chances of dev focusing on 360 will be improved.

I've always felt that the war for about the first few years is really for the hearts and minds of the developers. It has little to do with consumers decisions. Consumers just end up as pawns in the war for developer mind share. By far, the biggest impacts in who comes out on top in the console wars are the developers decisions. Even publisher decisions are not as impacting imho.

Are you sure the question isn't "How can we make more money?" :p

Cool, if adding HDMI is elite, the 20GB version of PS3 is élite superbe or something like that. Is it HDMI 1.3?
That way of thinking leads to the assumption that Xbox 360 business is still losing money.

I would be surprised if they (MS) actually make profit on each unit of that $480 SKU sold. Whatever profits are made probably go toward the retailer margins not to MS.

But the HDD pricing is outrageous of course.

Instead it is:

Well, I hope that's not their logic, because that seems like a recipe for backfiring. The extra storage is great and all, but at a $20 spread for that oft-maligned BD inclusion - hell you might as well just pay the difference and have an actual use for that HDMI!

Anyway I think there's a market for this console among the 360 hardcore, people who like to show off, and perhaps HD DVD watchers via the add-on that have been clamouring for HDMI... but this thing definitely exists in a very grey area in terms of value. I mean if I were to "Jump In" I might get this sku just because it's black quite honestly, so who knows the appeal may be even broader. But that pricing on that 120GB drive, I mean what the hell is going on over at Redmond?

A few things, will people now say that the XBOX 360 is a 480$ machine or is it still 300$? Since everyone has been saying the PS3 is 600$ and just ignoring the 500$ version.

Regarding the 180 dollars for a 120 GB drive, a 120GB drive for the PS3 is 80$! i think 180$ is insane but maybe it´s costly to pack it in the custom thingy. Though looking at the other 360 accessories the tendency is high prices, 60$ for a headset but you can get a cheap Bluetooth headset for the PS3 for only 20$. Value for money?

Question, can i buy all the movies an stuff from XBOX Live without a Gold membership?

I hope the new model does not sell at all. MS deserves it for slapping the customers in the face. Who ever is running MS needs to be fired because they are pissing away the chance to knock off sony. I see no reason to get elite when I can get a PS3 for 20 bucks more and get blue ray player.

Stupid Stupid Stupid looks like Nintendo is the only one who gets it these days. The anouncement should of been a 100 dollar price drop on the core, premium and a limited edition elite.

You still think PS3 is too expensive ?.. Imo , its nothing but X360 fanboyism to criticise PS3's price from now on ... Even without a next-gen DVD format it costs you to $479 to have an HDMI equipped Xbox360 with 120GB HDD ...

This stupid pricing from MS shows us that " You have to pay more for an Elite and PS3 is Elite " , imho ...

well that point would be applicable to this situation if there weren't about 3 threads like this one in the past 6 mos. ;) (oh and this one)

It seems MS is going for a high end (low volume) consumer with this AND the Core is targeted at the low end market (Premium in the middle), surely both to be price dropped this year. As well as already well on their way to winning hearts and minds of devs/pubs.

You still think PS3 is too expensive ?.. Imo , its nothing but X360 fanboyism to criticise PS3's price from now on ... Even without a next-gen DVD format it costs you to $479 to have an HDMI equipped Xbox360 with 120GB HDD ...

This stupid pricing from MS shows us that " You have to pay more for an Elite and PS3 is Elite " , imho ...

its' called giving the consumer OPTIONS for their product choices all targeting a different segment. with price drops, I'm guessing $249, $349, $459 within 6 mos.

MS has had a long history of backfires this gen actually and is leaky like no one's business. I actually wrote up a list of failures, faults, and misfires this gen recently (based on a challenge by Chef) and it isn't pretty. I think it gets overlooked though because in general it is doing well and because Sony management pretty much imploded into drama-time, miscommunication, and bonehead, "it is cheap!" soundbites. At least Nintendo had the common sense to shut up at the end of 2004 (with such stellar comments about graphics, gameplay, game longevity, etc) and let their product and smiling face PR do the talking.

Yep. Spring is here and the product has been out 16 months. History tells us it is due a price drop -- especially since they are already pushing it at $299/$399 and sales indicate it is too expensive for many (myself included).

I had ignored the logic of some, but it may come true: MS is totally fixated on making a profit this FY coming up and feel with Halo 3 and such coming out they can achieve their shortterm goal (profitability) and immediate software sales goals without cutting price. Of course, as detailed in the past, the real windfall could be pushed out of reach.

Yup, we've talked alot about how MS is in a position to dictate their future going forward, and with decisions like this it seems they are deciding that they do not want to be market leader this generation. First time in history a console has increased price after launching. Bravo *golf clap*

:LOL: For an encore they will raise perephrial pricing which is, to be frank, outrageous. I wanted a 360 controller for my PC... $40 for a wired controller? Sorry, my $15 PS2 Pelican Chameleon and $10 adapter work fine thankyou very much.

I think the most impactful part of this announcement, is that it basically makes a pricedrop totally out of the question for the forseeable future. They can't release a new SKU at $480 and drop the price 2 or 3 months later. Now what happens if Sony drops their price by $100 at E3 in July and makes the 20gb readily available?? Whoops!!

While Dave has a point, I think it is hard to make an arguement how the Elite can stay at $480 when

1. It lacks HD DVD
2. Will surely be undercut by a PS3 price cut

Does a potential consumer get a PS3 (BluRay, WiFi, 20GB HDD, HDMI, Wireless Controller) or a 360 Elite (DVD, 120GB HDD, HDMI, Wireless Controller). So is 100MB a fair tradeoff for no BluRay? Or what happens at a price drop when the 60GB is $499, is $60 worth no HD media?

MS must be going after a separate market (i.e. downloadable HD material) but considering the fact the PS3 can allow users to upgrade their own HDDs I just don't see a compelling reason to even consider the unit outside it is black.

But at this point, I'm pretty much leaning towards Sony to make a comeback, and hope that they get the success they deserve with their open HW policy.

The pendulum is very active right now. These companies really do control their futures right now, and that isn't the typical PR type comment but the absolute truth. How they handle their platform (including pricing) and how they are able to deliver software over the next 12 months is going to be essential.

MS had a good strategy, but they're squandering it, and they are setting precedents ($180 HDD) I don't think any of us want to see in the industry.

To their credit, part of the issue is the use of 2.5" laptop drives. While there may be some issues with a 3.5" drive, the fact is they are MUCH cheaper.

hell you might as well just pay the difference and have an actual use for that HDMI!

HDMI may be part of their digital distribution of HD media.

But that pricing on that 120GB drive, I mean what the hell is going on over at Redmond?

It is 1337 with a 1337 price! :p

Such a stupid, stupid move.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back