Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still think PS3 is too expensive ?

YES. And its sales rate is clearly demonstrating this.

its nothing but X360 fanboyism to criticise PS3's price from now on ...

Non sequitur. Just because MS releases an overpriced product doesn't mean Sony's overpriced product can no longer be criticized based on price.

I wouldn't necessarily be convinced of that. There's nothing to suggest that the price ranges in the near term may not stretch out a little - the Elite version staying that the higher price, to still give the XBOX line a air of a premium solution, while the two lower models do see price drops. I'd suspect that this elite model is closer to, if not actually, achieving profit on the hardware so it could help to facilitate a price drop on the other models.

I agree

it keeps the brand in line with Sony so as not to create the perception of inferiority when they decide (which I'm guessing is still going to be soon) to drop the price on the other two.

I think some people need to be patient as they may announce the price drops effective the same day as Elite release (or soon after). You do not announce a price drop a month in advance.

Non sequitur. Just because MS releases an overpriced product doesn't mean Sony's overpriced product can no longer be criticized based on price.

It does mean you should be more even handed in how you speak about both consoles in terms of pricing or value however.

I see no reason to get elite when I can get a PS3 for 20 bucks more and get blue ray player.

Well, like, um, you know - there are these things called games which are just like blu-ray movies, except uglier, and you get to decide what happens in them by pressing buttons on that weird-shaped remote control you get with your blu-ray player. I hear there are, like, 10x more of them for the non-blu-ray-player console, and, like, that's not about to change in the near future.

It does mean you should be more even handed in how you speak about both consoles in terms of pricing or value however.

I think my above post (as well as my post history) demonstrates I have been more than even handed in regards to pricing. This isn't the first time I have criticized Microsoft on console or perephrial pricing. Likewise Nintendo's Wii is another target of giving less value to consumers.

I only see WII as being overpriced..

Yet the rate of consumer adoption would appear to disagree relative to the competition. I would make a contrast between value and price. You can argue about value a platform provides at a set time and hardware configuration (at which I agree the Wii offers the last value in terms of physical product relative to the competition), but in terms of market expectation and ability to meet realistic price points consumers decide what is overpriced and what isn't. The fact the mighty PS brand is seeing sluggish sales is indicative of what sales trends have told us for a long time: Consumers are price sensative. You can have the best bang-for-buck in a car at $100,000 but the number of consumers who can obtain that sort of purchase, regardless of value, is far and in-between compared to a $20,000, less bang-for-buck, vehicle. Cost of entry is always relevant for a mass market device.

Originally Posted by quest55720
I see no reason to get elite when I can get a PS3 for 20 bucks more and get blue ray player.
can you even get those anymore?

I know Europe got 0 and I thought they were dropping that sku?

I dont think PS3 sales mostly about price , its about software , anyway this not the case ...
First of all , I am not a Sony fanboy and I like X360 a lot [ except red ring of death :] ] but i don't think PS3s are overpriced , its just expensive for a game console ... Sony losing $150 - $250 on every PS3 and you call it overpriced ?.. I don't think so ...

But if you sell X360 Elite [ lets say X360 Premium + HDMI + 100GB HDD ] for $479 , without a next-gen DVD format , thats what i call overpricing and especially when you can buy [ too expensive and overpriced ] PS3 20GB for just $20 more ...

MS have a chance to dominate the market but this is not the right move ... BTW , black doesnt fit X360 ...

BTW

the elite will always be black, does NOT have the 65nm Xenon but it DOES come with composite/component/HDMI cables all in the box and allows connections from each as well as an optical/RCA out for secondary audio.

BTW

the elite will always be black, does NOT have the 65nm Xenon but it DOES come with composite/component/HDMI cables all in the box and allows connections from each as well as an optical/RCA out for secondary audio.

Can you answer me? does the download and purchase of stuff like Movies, Series etc require XBOX Live gold? or is it free?

BTW

This is what I was thinking about. For a moment there I thought Microsoft released its first SKU that was acceptable to me (not that I'd run out to get it, mind!), but right now it seems that the only change to the actual unit is the HDMI port. In all other respects it is identical to the Premium version?

So, questions that remain for me:

- do I understand correctly that the HDD add-on is the same for the Premium and the Elite? I am confused here. It says detachable, so I assume so. Does it still have an internal 20Gb drive? Or do we effectively have a $179 add-on that we can attach to, say, a Core unit? I'd assume the latter.
- What performance does this configuration have? Is it basically USB 2.0, or is it something proprietary that is more like SATA?
- how easy is it to connect that HDD to another device? (say a PC or PS3) Right now the cable looks like a custom 360 controller type plug.
- give me some new noise-measurements. Last time I read about measurements of the 360 (in a recent German C't magazine) it had it pegged at 3.8 Sone when the DVD drive is spinning at full tact. That's still way too loud.
- how is Ana reconfigured in this HDMI setup? Do we have a digital scaler now?
- what will retailers make of this three SKU setup?

By the way, the white one looks better, imho. White and green is much more classy, and this one brings back associations with the Xbox1. :D Also goes better with face-plates.

I'd probably have released a silver one myself.

Damn, what a stupid, boneheaded move. It feels like MS had a chance to pull away from Sony right now - say, release the third SKU for $399, and drop the other two marginally. Now they've upped the price of the machine.

It's important from my POV to keep in mind the 360 is not suddenly "only $20 less than the PS3". The price difference is the same. Still, it won't stop the average consumer perception from seeing, "a $479 console, or a $499 console?"

Does it still have an internal 20Gb drive?

Xbox 360 never had a 2,5GB internal drive...

Microsoft made a dumb move here, if they priced the new SKU at 399 they could easily convince everyone that X360 is more valuable than PS3. Now Sony's PR has a room to attack Microsoft.

Xbox 360 never had a 2,5GB internal drive...

Oh boy, the capitalisation thing again. ;)

I thought of another question:

- if I have the HD-DVD add-on, can I now output through the 360s HDMI port?

Actually, I suppose so then ...

Last edited by a moderator:
$179 for a 120 gig HD is insane.

Agreed. I wonder how much it will cost in the UK. £120? One pound per gigabyte?

This is why when you factor in a few peripherals, the 360 is less value than the PS3. No doubt MS are loving it, but I would have expected a price-cut by the 18-months mark.

Actually there's never been any internal drive in X360, it's always been detachable.

No, the only possible way to output signal from HD-DVD is via composite cable.;)

360 only has an external HDD, ever.

Anyways on this sku, if it's going to be the new permanent premium, they should have gone ahead and included HDDVD for playback. It would have given that format a big boost. And made Elite a much more attractive purchase.

Well, I dont know, maybe that would have made it TOO attractive relative to the other sku's, made the other sku's useless, and put them basically in the same boat as PS3, stuck with an expensive DVD format in a games machine.

I can say with total certainty they should have included wireless, though. Really tacky on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back