Black XB360 120 Gig HDD + HDMI = $479

Status
Not open for further replies.
I presume this version wont be getting released in the UK?

Actually the best place to release something like this would be Japan. They wouldn't be able to charge as much but limited editions sell quite well there. I don't quite know who would be buying this unit (rumored specs) as it doesn't seem compelling enough for the price. :???:

IMO.

Actually the best place to release something like this would be Japan. They wouldn't be able to charge as much but limited editions sell quite well there. I don't quite know who would be buying this unit (rumored specs) as it doesn't seem compelling enough for the price. :???:

IMO.

Yeah over here it would probably be around £330. Surely their best bet would be to give a tiny proportion to Japan, say 10,000 (for those Blue Dragon fans), then evenly divide the rest between the US and Europe? As it stands, I can see MS's lead being chipped away quite rapidly in Europe.

Dumb question (sorry I still don't own a 360 it will stay like this till ms sells it 299euros)
Is it possible to store demos and patches on an external device?

Back on topic I think 478euros is too expensive but it's ok as it's a special edition...

I hopes that Ms will realize that they have huge opportunity in Europe if they drop the price soon.
Ps3 did great in Uk ok, but there is other countries in Europe and th market will satured soon...

Ms has to gain momentum here way before chrismass and sony's blockbusters (even if the price will still hold the ps3 back) (Sony could have more blockbusters ready than we expect!).

I feel like the doors are opening here but the price is still too hight!!!

Ok Ms is in a safe situation in US, what in Europe and JAPAN!!!
What if Sony manage to push some huge blockbuster this fall?
They will loose a lot market share, editors support, etc...

Sony has messed a lot, MS is messing if they don't drop the price before summer!!
whocare about this collector version, this collector is bad hype for ms on the web...
hdmi
kit
too little hdd

lot of people are saying that ms shipped a unfinished product.

these rumors have been out there for month, they seem true, Ms have to make things clear soon.
If they're not able to deliver hdm ifor the other sku consumers will feel shafted... and will wait for hdmi on the other sku.
they 're not stupid enought to buy "regular" sku after the elite will be launched they will know that revision will come soon after.

I know they have do deal with stock of existing sku, so if I were ms and i would want to stop all the fud going around i would announced that this special edition will be bundle with some huge game coming at autumn or later now (they hav esome choices for the game actually)!
I would not speak about the revision of the core and premium sku (ie inclusion of hdmi) and i would make the announcement of these revisions some weeks before the elite launch and i would make them available some weeks after that.

Ms has to clear this up soon!

Dumb question (sorry I still don't own a 360 it will stay like this till ms sells it 299euros)
Is it possible to store demos and patches on an external device?

...snip...
Ms has to clear this up soon!

AFAIK The only thing you can store on an external device that the system will read are Videos (WMV format), Photo's, and Music.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks.
But if I want to make a save it's ok,no?
if I want no longer play a demo or game (for the patches) could i save it on an external storage in case I want to play it again later and so i would copy the demo and the patch on the proper 360's hdd again?

thanks.
But if I want to make a save it's ok,no?
if I want no longer play a demo or game (for the patches) could i save it on an external storage in case I want to play it again later and so copyi the demo and the patch on the proper 360's hdd again?

Anything you have purchased on Live (except movies) can be redownloaded without paying again. In essence MS keeps a copy of everything but your game saves on their end (Which is why you can delete TV shows and redownload them).

Ant says there is a way of using a PC hard drive as your system drive, I don't know how it works so I can't speak to it.

i reckon black 360s are better at overheating issues because black is better emitter of radiation

GCSE Physics :p

anyone took up Physics A level as part of engineering / computer science etc degree entry???

wait, i am going off topic here :LOL:

Over here in the UK, the 360 isnt selling that great.

Excuse me, but: LOL.

Even Reggie says the 360 is popular in the UK.

Wishful thinking mate?

As it stands, I can see MS's lead being chipped away quite rapidly in Europe.

Now there's a surprise...

By the way, I agree MS has to work hard in Europe, but it will take at least another year for Sony to come close, and that's including a big price drop and a lot of AAA titles. You don't expect MS to sit and wait for Sony to take over, do you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Excuse me, but: LOL.

Even Reggie says the 360 is popular in the UK.

Wishful thinking mate?

Now there's a surprise...

By the way, I agree MS has to work hard in Europe, but it will take at least another year for Sony to come close, and that's including a big price drop and a lot of AAA titles. You don't expect MS to sit and wait for Sony to take over, do you?

Not sure what your getting at mate. 360 is selling OK over here, but sales are far from amazing. The only territorys its selling well in are the US and Australia.

My point is, Wii has already halved MS's lead, and its supply limited. From what I hear, sales in France and Germany have been rubbish.

The fact that MS hasnt introduced a price-cut rubbishes the nonsense I saw on hear that it makes a profit on every 360 sold now. I imagine its still making a loss (which stood at $125 per machine when it first came out). However, IMO MS needs to bite the bullet.

My point is, Wii has already halved MS's lead, and its supply limited.

We weren't talking about the Wii. Those sales are amazing everywhere.

From what I hear, sales in France and Germany have been rubbish.

From what I hear the PS3 hasn't been hot either. We need numbers anyway.

However, IMO MS needs to bite the bullet.

If the sales are getting worse because of the PS3 launch, they need to. I'm not sure this is the case though. Having said that, sure they'll sell more when they drop the price, and I think we'll see it happen soon enough.

They need to be very agressive in Europe.

We weren't talking about the Wii. Those sales are amazing everywhere.

From what I hear the PS3 hasn't been hot either. We need numbers anyway.

If the sales are getting worse because of the PS3 launch, they need to. I'm not sure this is the case though. Having said that, sure they'll sell more when they drop the price, and I think we'll see it happen soon enough.

They need to be very agressive in Europe.

Agreed.

For me, although its not great value, if they are going to release this Elite model they should do so in Europe as well as the US.

I am wondering if the Elite was Microsoft's backup for the PS3 Europe launch. If those pictures are correct and they were being produced in February.

If the PS3 was going to be supply constrained during launch, it would have been the perfect time to drop a limited edition product that just happens to be cheaper, and in some ways more capable than your main competition. Not to mention it's black. Get the customers that miss out. It worked for the US launch.
However of course, to Sony's credit, the launch was not supply constrained.

Even so I still think it's a smart move. The system, if truly limited to ~200k units, will sell out on preorder alone. 200k is probably less than 2 weeks worldwide sales for Microsoft.
Any clamour for a product gives the brand a good shot in the arm. Provided it's short term.
And of course geeks are suckers for limited edition products, especially black ones with new technology that is of dubious usefulness ;-)

There is also a market for users looking for their second console. I am actually potentially in this boat myself, and given the choice, I would actually pay extra for a swanky limited edition. At least now I'm going to be earning decent money.

I still think this is an April Fools joke.;)

If so - it's a great one!

...too bad you just ruined it... :mad:

:smile:

Graham - I really can't see this console config/price being in demand. You never know though, stranger things have happened (Like $140 halo3*special edition* preorders going through the roof)

:???:

I have to agree if it's only going to be ~200K of them I'm sure they will sell out pretty fast. I don't think it would be much demand if the sku was going to be permanent though

if they are going to launch iptv with the elite sku I think they will probably have a few other "extras" that will make it worth it

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/20...to_announce_the_xbox_360_elite.html#more-3441

Dean T weighs in on this. He seems to think its accurate ($479, 120GB, HDMI) and also suggests that it will be IPTV ready, and also has a significant motherboard redesign.

I'm not sure i follow what "IPTV Ready" means exactly. My HD cable box/DVR uses component output with no limitation so I dont think HDMI is required for what we've seen wrt the 360 and IPTV. Also, IPTV is a streaming technology so aside from having enough HD space to "Pause live TV" the larger hard drive doesnt seem to be required for IPTV. Any ideas or is this just the IPTV software is going to be 'pre-loaded'?

If it is in fact IPTV ready, then I assume that means the Microsoft TV software will be pre-installed. I agree that HDMI is certainly not required at this time, though potentially it may be to view certain high-def content...so for IPTV or cable boxes that one must purchase (rather than rent / exchange) an HDMI port is desirable.

I did a little bit of research on IPTV itself, and while it is streaming...there are still enough limitations at this time (it appears to me anyway) that local storage is required similar to regular DVR set-tops. I don't think the back-office infrastructure is there to accomodate what would ideally be "everything on demand...including the entire catalog of shows that were live yesterday".

Eventually, yes, IPTV would mean minimal local storage, but for at least the short term it looks like the base-line will be more like a traditional DVR will be needed to meet consumer expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back