AMD's FSR 3 upscaling and frame interpolation *spawn

FSR 3.1 announced.

Introducing AMD FSR 3.1 with Improved Upscaling Quality

Announced today at our GDC 2024 “High Performance Rendering in Snowdrop Using AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3)” presentation, AMD FSR 3.1 will have some significant improvements, new capabilities, and updates:

• Upscaling image quality improvements:
    • Improved temporary stability at rest and in movement – less flickering and/or shimmering and “Fizziness” around objects in motion.
    • Ghosting reduction and better preservation of detail.
  • Decoupling FSR 3 upscaling from frame generation:
    • Allows FSR 3.1 frame generation technology to work with other upscaling solutions.
  • New AMD FidelityFX API:
    • Makes it easier for developers to debug and allows forward compatibility with updated versions of FSR.
  • Vulkan® and Xbox Game Development Kit (GDK) support.
AMD FSR 3.1 will be available for developers on GPUOpen in Q2 and will be coming to games later this year.

AMD FSR 3.1 Upscaling Quality Improvement Examples

The first announced game to be getting AMD FSR 3.1 is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart from Insomniac Games, Nixxes Software, and Sony Interactive Entertainment. The game update will add all the goodness of FSR 3.1, including decoupling frame generation from upscaling, so it can be used with the other upscaling solutions the game supports, and improvements to FSR temporal upscaling image quality. Below you can see examples from Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart that show some of the upscaling improvements of FSR 3.1.

Big improvements seen in Ratchet and Clank.

Temporal Stability:
Old:
large

3.1:
310x179

Ghosting:
Old:
large

large

So yea, Ratchet and Clank is the first announced game to support FSR3.1 coming at some point later this year.. and judging from the fact Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales both have updated SteamDB depots as of 3 days ago.. I think it's pretty safe to say that an FSR3.1 update is coming to those games as well. Nixxes just don't stop.. and that's what I love about them. Their post release support is simply phenomenal. From their communication with players, as well as them being receptive to feedback and actually implementing player requests.. you feel like even if the product isn't perfect out of the gate, they will keep going until it's basically there.

Pretty amazing how Nixxes/Insomniac/Guerrilla and Playstation seem to be amazing at supporting PC features like DLSS/FSR/FrameGen.. and quite frankly, they're responsible for probably more than half of the PC games out there that support DirectStorage... Something that Microsoft has been lacking in, outside of Forza as far as I know.

So yea, Ratchet and Clank is the first announced game to support FSR3.1 coming at some point later this year.. and judging from the fact Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales both have updated SteamDB depots as of 3 days ago.. I think it's pretty safe to say that an FSR3.1 update is coming to those games as well. Nixxes just don't stop.. and that's what I love about them. Their post release support is simply phenomenal. From their communication with players, as well as them being receptive to feedback and actually implementing player requests.. you feel like even if the product isn't perfect out of the gate, they will keep going until it's basically there.

Pretty amazing how Nixxes/Insomniac/Guerrilla and Playstation seem to be amazing at supporting PC features like DLSS/FSR/FrameGen.. and quite frankly, they're responsible for probably more than half of the PC games out there that support DirectStorage... Something that Microsoft has been lacking in, outside of Forza as far as I know.

I'm just looking forward to being able to inject it into Alan Wake 2.

I want to see more examples of the better upscaling. I'm already really happy with their FG tech, as I've used it on both my 1070-MaxQ laptop and my 3080Ti.

FSR3 is coming to consoles starting with Immortals of Aveum.

Immortals of Aveum will be the first game to implement AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution 3 (FSR 3) with frame generation on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S! The FSR 3 update arrives with Patch 1.0.6.4 in just a few short weeks.

PC will get updated FSR3 version too.

Took me a second to work out that they're talking about 2 different patches. I thought both HDR and FSR3 were in the same patch.. but it turns out that there's two.

Patch 1.0.6.3 released yesterday and includes HDR support for consoles
Patch 1.0.6.4 will release in the coming weeks and feature support for FSR3 on consoles and improvements to PC

FSR3 is coming to consoles starting with Immortals of Aveum.

PC will get updated FSR3 version too.
it'd be curious to know if Digital Foundry can know whether a game uses Frame Generation or not, or if there's a way to discern native framerate from frame generation at all, if you don't know if it's implemented or not.

it'd be curious to know if Digital Foundry can know whether a game uses Frame Generation or not, or if there's a way to discern native framerate from frame generation at all, if you don't know if it's implemented or not.

Analysing every other frame in a fast moving sequence should make that pretty straight forward.

It's interesting, FSR 3 is basically only Xbox Series consoles natively capable of Frame Generation workloads asynchronously due to DirectX. It is still a question of what quality it can run on a Playstation console.

It's interesting, FSR 3 is basically only Xbox Series consoles natively capable of Frame Generation workloads asynchronously due to DirectX. It is still a question of what quality it can run on a Playstation console.

FSR 3 is coming to all consoles according to the news about Immortals of Aveum. That could be be shorthand for 3.1 or just straight up 3.0.

There are currently a lot of unknowns about FSR 3.1 as far as I (un)know:

- Is it coming for PS5 also?
- Does it use AI inference operations in the form of int8 and all that?
- Is it in any way related to 2024 being the year AMD bring AI to their graphics products?

AMD have said that 2024 is the year they bring AI to graphics, but afaik they haven't revealed if that's related to XDNA, or FSR3.1, or PS5 Pro, or a combination of them, or .... something else entirely?

Given the popularity of FSR on console, if PS5 can run FSR 3.1 fast enough I'm sure it'll turn up. Remains to be seen just how much of an improvement over FSR 3 it is though - that tiny little .gif looked nice, but almost anything can in a tiny little short .gif!

I wonder if, for a contemplative game like Hellblade 2, even if it runs at a base 30fps, FSR3 would be an excellent addition for the console version given the fact that it's confirmed that the game is going to run at 30fps on consoles.

Back