DLSS versus FSR, again, neither being PSSR *spawn

DF comparisons often shows DLSS performance at 4K comparable or superior to many FSR implementations.
What DF says about the topic is irrelevant to me. I check the games I play and compare them with my own eyes. In the games I play, that's not stance I'd agree with. Then again, it's user preference. Also most people do not play at 4k.
We can also thank TAA (including ML upscaling variants) for reduction of shader and transparency aliasing. Our memories of crisp and clean MSAA graphics are from a time before per-pixel shading was common and even then alpha tested stuff was a problem. I could never understand how folks would rather live with noisy aliased images than accept a little softness from TAA but that’s subjective. It’s not subjective though to claim those aliased images represent “good IQ”.
Yes TAA has it's positives and is negatives as does everything else. It's mostly subjective though and to say that TAA introduces "a little softness" is underselling it's effect on image clarity especially in motion.
PSSR must be hardware accelerated right? Otherwise it would be an option on the standard PS5.
Probably
Motion artifacts are a huge part of perceived resolution. FSR ghosts far worse than DLSS on average.
Nah.... It's not FSR vs DLSS, It's FSR Quality vs DLSS performance so nah....

Last edited:
DLSS is the better technique but I am finding lately that I prefer FSR 2's more 'raw' look than the overly processed DLSS image.

Texture detail seems to be better preserved with FSR2 and it has better default sharpening most of the time.

This has already been mentioned before, but FSR 2 itself as a software seems to be an upgradeable container, and this is also true for the standard version 2.2. It works better with some games than others. Starfield on Xbox has been upgraded twice in the last six months to version 2.2 and its quality is exemplary, at least in the console version this is certainly the case, because the picture is very clear.

But anyway, version 3.1 will be here soon, which brings even better image quality. It will be worth waiting for that and then commenting on the technology.

DLSS Performance in Ghost of Tsushima is better than native TAA. This is just one example of DLSS Performance being better than FSR Quality in many implementations.

DLSS Super Resolution is the best option. The DLSS implementation in this game delivers the most stable and clean image when using upscaling across all resolutions. Compared to the native TAA image, even 1080p DLSS Performance mode (540p internally) will have a much better image quality

HU tested the performance of DLSS vs FSR in recent games, at quality upscaling on the 4070, DLSS is 6% faster than FSR in Ratchet and Clank, 9% faster in Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales, and 18% faster in Ghost of Tsushima. So DLSS is indeed faster than FSR in the latest games as well.

There's only so much algorithm tweaking that can be done with FSR type implementations. I think the next step to match the experience that XMX and tensor cores brings which will be to utillize an AI-based rendering technique, which should be part of their next gen release.

There's only so much algorithm tweaking that can be done with FSR type implementations. I think the next step to match the experience that XMX and tensor cores brings which will be to utillize an AI-based rendering technique, which should be part of their next gen release.

There was that interview with a random AMD exec dropping that machine learning based upscaling could be support by AMD as early as this year. Guess we'll see with the RDNA4 reveal in the next few months?

So DLSS is indeed faster than FSR in the latest games as well.
But is that on all tiers of cards?
Interesting fact according to Techpowerup the 4050 has more tensor cores than the 4060 maybe the thinking is the 4050 needs them more than the 4060

But is that on all tiers of cards?
Interesting fact according to Techpowerup the 4050 has more tensor cores than the 4060 maybe the thinking is the 4050 needs them more than the 4060

I'm guessing it's a typo? They show a different amount for 4050 mobile.

4050 and 4060 use the same AD107 die. Tensor cores are also grouped per SM.

There was that interview with a random AMD exec dropping that machine learning based upscaling could be support by AMD as early as this year. Guess we'll see with the RDNA4 reveal in the next few months?
He specifically mentioned that it was on the gaming device. Probably PS5 Pro.
"We've just completed AI enabling our entire portfolio: Cloud, edge, PCs, embedded devices, our gaming devices. We're enabling our gaming devices to upscale using AI and 2024 is really a huge deployment year for us." - Source

On the flip side, I'm recalling a presentaton(?) with nvidia folks when DLSS shifted to a temporal setup and they were re asked if they could improve standard TAA as well.
And the nvidia guy was like yeah, but we'd rather not.

It'd be funny if intel/nvidia come up with a non-AI solution of their own.

He specifically mentioned that it was on the gaming device. Probably PS5 Pro.
PS5 Pro, PSSR, is supposedly a Sony creation. Either that' d have to be untrue and this is just a rebranded AMD tech, or Sony are cahooting with AMD and will share their system with AMD, or they are unrelated.

It's going to be very interesting to see where PSSR falls in the reconstruction hierarchy. I'm expecting XeSS level at the least.. because if it was similar to FSR3.1 there would be no reason to bother with it in the first place.

If the UE5 TSR is so good on current consoles, why an AI unit for upscaling? TFDescendant looks really good on Series X, let's see how much the rendered resolution is, but I can see that in balanced mode and by pushing up the sharpening slider in the game menu, it shows quite decent image quality with this Temporal Super Resolution.

If the UE5 TSR is so good on current consoles, why an AI unit for upscaling? TFDescendant looks really good on Series X, let's see how much the rendered resolution is, but I can see that in balanced mode and by pushing up the sharpening slider in the game menu, it shows quite decent image quality with this Temporal Super Resolution.
It hasn’t been used in any console game AFAIK as it’s a fair bit more expensive than FSR 2.

Xess on a Intel card is better than TSR.

From watching DF videos, it seems inconsistent.

Back