AMD's FSR 3 upscaling and frame interpolation *spawn

Been testing FSR1 & 2 recently. Have to say fsr2 really disappoints because:
1. the quality of the final output image is highly tied to framerate
2. the cost of upscaling is too high on low end gpus even at very low output resolution

To further elaborate, for the 1st point, the image quality at 30fps vs 60fps is almost night n day differences. At 30fps, there are significant breakups and disocclusion artifacts around moving edges. While at 60, even a low 720p (balanced) output (so the internal res is around 480p), yields mostly a smooth image with few aliasing for a game without too many high frequency details.

However, the problem is that for low end gpus who's desperate for a upscaling technique, FSR2 isn't really the one to achieve 60fps. It's way too costly on low GPUs like a rx550, which is eating a large chunk of frametime (sometimes reaching ~7ms on rx550, though this is profiler figure, actual cost should be smaller). In some of my test cases, 720p balanced fsr2 only yields around 5-10% of performance gain on rx550, compared to native 720p with taa on. And the image quality tradeoff doesn't really worth the performance gain. FSR2 is quite bandwidth heavy with all those manually tuned heuristics, and I think that's the reason why it doesn't scale well. This also confirms my theory that Switch isn't powerful enough to run OG FSR2 without trimming.

FSR1 is admittedly much, much faster than 2, but we all know its quality is just a bit better than naive bilinear upscaling (or in some cases it worsen the aliasing and noises). Sometimes you have to choose it, not because it's good, but it's the only thing that gonna work.

Now I really hope Intel can promote their XeSS harder, so we can all enjoy generic DL upscaling tech now...

This is all well and good, but since the last Starfield update on the Series X, FSR2 still produces very good image quality from the native resolution of 1440p at 30 FPS, in most cases a very clear image that looks like 4K quality.

I think this also shows that the name FSR2 in itself does not show uniform quality, a lot depends on how much they deal with the code and how it is integrated into the game.

I don't get Microsoft. They specifically requested DP4a for Series consoles, they've been working on machine learning upscaling for years, and yet they're still rocking nothing better than FSR2.

And on consoles, FSR is often run at 'balanced' or 'performance' equivalent scaling levels which can look pretty poor. Something better is definitely possible, but doesn't seem to be a priority.

No point in creating a solution if developers aren't on board with supporting it. XESS, DLSS, FSR, and TSR (if you are utilizing UE5) are already solutions that cover the entire market. An MS solution would only be useful for the Xbox Series and a handful of discrete PC GPUs that make up a small portion of the PC market.

Download link: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/738?tab=files (dlssg-to-fsr3-0.90 under Main Files)​

Installation instructions are the exact same. You can keep using video guides. Moving to Nexus Mods is to make my life easier.

0.90:
  • Added a universal zip archive for maximum game support. Separate READ ME.txts are included within each folder. Registry key tweaks are not required.
  • Universal DLLs now automatically disable the EGS overlay due to hooking conflicts.
  • Universal DLLs now bypass GPU architecture checks for stubborn games (Dying Light 2, Returnal).
  • HDR luminance values are now queried from the active monitor, falling back to defaults when necessary.
  • Fixed GPU driver crashes in Dying Light 2 with universal DLLs.
  • Hardware accelerated GPU scheduling status is now logged.

Don't use it in multiplayer games, but you can get FSR3 in games that only support DLSS frame generation. I wanted to use it in Alan Wake 2, but you had to delete the epic games store overlay which was a problem. Seems they've fixed it. I'll test that out.

This only works for Nvidia cards, I think. So if you have 20 or 30 series, you can get frame generation by enabling DLSS in-game, then turning on DLSS frame gen and it will replace it with this FSR3 implementation.

Last edited:
Can confirm the FSR3-to-DLSSFG mod works perfectly for Cyberpunk 2077 on my 3080Ti. It has increased my usable framerate by around 50% almost entirely across the board; the benchmark without FG showed around 25fps low / 45fps avg / 65fps high, compared to FG enabled which bumped scores to around 40fps low / 70fps avg / 100fps high. This is with the graphics setting at 3440x1440 mostly-ultra (it's all the ultra settings but I turn off chromatic aberration, lens flare, and motion blur) with DLSS balanced and path tracing and ray reconstruction enabled.

Pretty damned good IMO; it very much looks and plays solid.

Can confirm the FSR3-to-DLSSFG mod works perfectly for Cyberpunk 2077 on my 3080Ti. It has increased my usable framerate by around 50% almost entirely across the board; the benchmark without FG showed around 25fps low / 45fps avg / 65fps high, compared to FG enabled which bumped scores to around 40fps low / 70fps avg / 100fps high. This is with the graphics setting at 3440x1440 mostly-ultra (it's all the ultra settings but I turn off chromatic aberration, lens flare, and motion blur) with DLSS balanced and path tracing and ray reconstruction enabled.

Seems to look very nice in Alan Wake 2, so I'm going to use this where I can in single player games.

Yeah, I've been using it for a week or two now, I think it was between Christmas and New Year when I downloaded it and installed it. For anyone else who follows along - you need to make sure the Windows Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling setting is turned on otherwise it will not show as available.

I remember reading someone got the mod working for Starfield; I haven't yet really felt like testing it out LOL. Actually, before I test with Starfield, I'll probably try to get it working with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and my Quest headset. That's one game which could really benefit from the extra frames with all the other eye-candy enabled. I know they support it natively, so I wonder if the same DLL renaming trickery for Starfield will also work in MSFS...

why FSR3 is faster than native DLSS FG? I mean, shouldn't native nVidia solution work faster than FSR3?

On a different note, Lossless Scaling, an app that I used soooo extensively to force FSR1 in all the games I could has added its own frame generation solution to basically ANY game.

It's on steam and it cost me like 1€ back in the day.

why FSR3 is faster than native DLSS FG? I mean, shouldn't native nVidia solution work faster than FSR3?

On a different note, Lossless Scaling, an app that I used soooo extensively to force FSR1 in all the games I could has added its own frame generation solution to basically ANY game.

It's on steam and it cost me like 1€ back in the day.
DLSSFG is only for RTX 4x cards.

Yeah, and truthfully I'm not aware of anyone benchmarking FSR's frame gen vs DLSS's flavor. I've seen people make commentary on perception of quality, and folks seem to be pretty happy with the FSR FG method in terms of resulting IQ.

But yes, @Reynaldo is correct in that FSR3 FG actually works on 2xxx and 3xxx cards, whereas Nvidia doesn't allow / hasn't implemented / otherwise blocks it from anything older than the 4xxx line.

I already use the XR kit; still looking for more :)
That's fair enough I can get behind that. Can you post a follow up how it goes if you get it working with the frame gen and if it causes any noticable latency, a little probably wont cause me issue but too much could put me in the couch or bed for a few hours even just trying to set it up ;)

Yeah, and truthfully I'm not aware of anyone benchmarking FSR's frame gen vs DLSS's flavor. I've seen people make commentary on perception of quality, and folks seem to be pretty happy with the FSR FG method in terms of resulting IQ.

But yes, @Reynaldo is correct in that FSR3 FG actually works on 2xxx and 3xxx cards, whereas Nvidia doesn't allow / hasn't implemented / otherwise blocks it from anything older than the 4xxx line.

I recall seeing that even on Nvidia 4XXX FSR3 is faster, an overall win for AMD I guess after years of trying, good on them for keeping it up.

I recall seeing that even on Nvidia 4XXX FSR3 is faster, an overall win for AMD I guess after years of trying, good on them for keeping it up.
does the fact that DLSS is doing the actual upscaling get rid of the artifacts that usually occur with native FSR 3 games?

No point in creating a solution if developers aren't on board with supporting it. XESS, DLSS, FSR, and TSR (if you are utilizing UE5) are already solutions that cover the entire market. An MS solution would only be useful for the Xbox Series and a handful of discrete PC GPUs that make up a small portion of the PC market.
They can make one that would become the DX upscaling solution, providing an out of box solution for DX. It’s not a terrible idea, it removes the need for vendor specialization. However, The cost is prohibitive to give away for free, somehow MS would have to benefit from it, as they are already are the default API for games.

does the fact that DLSS is doing the actual upscaling get rid of the artifacts that usually occur with native FSR 3 games?
This might be true, which might explain why FSR3 frame gen combines so well with DLSS? Since I have no way to compare DLSS-FG, I'm not in a good position to offer a reasonable perspective.

I will say this: XeSS 1.whatever version CP2077 supports creates a much better upscaling experience than FSR 2.same for my own eyes. I have a laptop with an i7-8750H, 1080p 144Hz screen and a 1070 MaxQ which can play CP2077 relatively well if I use mostly medium settings and one of the non-DLSS upscalers in balanced mode. For what it's worth, both XeSS and FSR really get ugly when using them below balanced mode... Anyway, according to the internal benchmark, XeSS was also more performant on the minimum-framerate end of the spectrum, where it truly mattered most.

Now I kinda wonder if XeSS upscaling can be combined with FSR3-FG...

EDIT: Yup, totally works. I can enable XeSS 1.2 and still enable FSR3 Frame Generation. Ran the benchmark twice -- one with XeSS+FG and one with XeSS by itself, and the FG setting increased framerates by ~50%, however the result was still slower than DLSS balanced +FG by about 20% (75fps avg vs 62fps avg.)

EDIT #2: Just making sure everyone knows, I'm running a 3080Ti on the desktop, thus any and all of the frame gen I'm talking about is the "hacked" FSR3 frame gen.

Last edited:
This might be true, which might explain why FSR3 frame gen combines so well with DLSS? Since I have no way to compare DLSS-FG, I'm not in a good position to offer a reasonable perspective.

I will say this: XeSS 1.whatever version CP2077 supports creates a much better upscaling experience than FSR 2.same for my own eyes. I have a laptop with an i7-8750H, 1080p 144Hz screen and a 1070 MaxQ which can play CP2077 relatively well if I use mostly medium settings and one of the non-DLSS upscalers in balanced mode. For what it's worth, both XeSS and FSR really get ugly when using them below balanced mode... Anyway, according to the internal benchmark, XeSS was also more performant on the minimum-framerate end of the spectrum, where it truly mattered most.

Now I kinda wonder if XeSS upscaling can be combined with FSR3-FG...

EDIT: Yup, totally works. I can enable XeSS 1.2 and still enable DLSS Frame Generation. Ran the benchmark twice -- one with XeSS+FG and one with XeSS by itself, and the FG setting increased framerates by ~50%, however the result was still slower than DLSS balanced +FG by about 20% (75fps avg vs 62fps avg.)

EDIT #2: Just making sure everyone knows, I'm running a 3080Ti on the desktop, thus any and all of the frame gen I'm talking about is the "hacked" FSR3 frame gen.
thanks for the insight. In compatible games, XeSS usually offers a pretty decent result, I know since I have an Intel GPU. It's not DLSS level but it's a good solution, hope they add FG too.

Btw, I wonder..., with games that have locked 30/60fps framerate, does FG (either DLSS FG or FSR3), double or increase the framerate for those locked games? Just curious....

A bit like lossless scaling then. It's not perfect but it does a decent job. I don't have an AMD GPU, but it's a very useful feature when you just want to play at 30fps internally so your GPU rests a lot more, thus no sound coming from the fans and no heat.

Back