All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2023 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or distribution level, misjudging interest in Europe. Incidentally how does MS advertising vary by region? Do they spend proportionally to the markets the operate in?

That wasn't ever in doubt, was it? Edit: The report is very ambiguous. Are they saying that after 12 moths, total sales is reduced versus 12 months if it hadn't been on GP? Or 12 months after being on GP, sales aren't as strong as the same period in the game's life if it never appeared on GP? the article's focus is on this contradicting Spencer's 2018 comments, but without specifics I don't know that they are inherently at odds.

That wasn't ever in doubt, was it? Edit: The report is very ambiguous. Are they saying that after 12 moths, total sales is reduced versus 12 months if it hadn't been on GP? Or 12 months after being on GP, sales aren't as strong as the same period in the game's life if it never appeared on GP? the article's focus is on this contradicting Spencer's 2018 comments, but without specifics I don't know that they are inherently at odds.

There was no doubt, but Phil was saying this is not true and giving examples of some indie games. They talk about AAA games and this is the reason Sony don't do day and date AAA game on PS plus.

But it was easy to know. Do you buy a movie after seeing it on Netflix or Disney plus or Prime Video?

It's a little more complex than that. One should need to factor in other aspects such as additional Game Addons like DLC or Cosmetics. Those could see a boost since consumers may feel more inclined to pick them up since they didn't spend anything on the base game.

the article's focus is on this contradicting Spencer's 2018 comments, but without specifics I don't know that they are inherently at odds.

My how time flies. It's really been half a decade since that quote. It seems like the original context of that Phil statement was in discussing particular/specific titles that had seen a boost and positive impacts from being on GamePass.

Wonder how sales for recent addition games have done on Xbox, such as Vampire Survivors and High on Life and Hifi-Rush.

I think someone with the NPD number told PS5 unit sales is not only the best January number for PS5 but better than any PS4 January number too.

Sony forecast the best January to March quarter of all time, better than PS3, PS4, Wii or Switch. Maybe they will reach the target.

Crap for the Japanese gamers that want a PS5, good for Sony that there is still high demand for consoles.
But if this doesnt translate to games sold, it is a gift that is not really a gift for Sony.

There was no doubt, but Phil was saying this is not true and giving examples of some indie games. They talk about AAA games and this is the reason Sony don't do day and date AAA game on PS plus.

But it was easy to know. Do you buy a movie after seeing it on Netflix or Disney plus or Prime Video?
Good to know that what was doubted in some other discussions now is confirmed to be true

But if this doesnt translate to games sold, it is a gift that is not really a gift for Sony.
Sure, but if you buy a PS5 you will most likely buy a game. Its not like the PS3 where you might have bought it for the blueray.
If they are paying scalpers price then I assume that you want to play games.

Sure, but if you buy a PS5 you will most likely buy a game. Its not like the PS3 where you might have bought it for the blueray.
If they are paying scalpers price then I assume that you want to play games.
True. Where are the consoles going though? If they are sold in China, there is the possibility that the attach rate is low. Also there seems to delay the software sales that were supposed to come from actual consumers buying this consoles day one. These consoles seem to be stored somewhere until someone who has the money to pay double buys one, and then buys games with whatever money will be left unless he is really wealthy

True. Where are the consoles going though? If they are sold in China, there is the possibility that the attach rate is low. Also there seems to delay the software sales that were supposed to come from actual consumers buying this consoles day one. These consoles seem to be stored somewhere until someone who has the money to pay double buys one, and then buys games with whatever money will be left unless he is really wealthy

Sure if you buy a PS5 of a scalper and buy no games its bad for Sony (most likely), but how likely is that? As a scalper you do not want to have stock, unless you know the supply will continue to be very limited. Now I belive that supply is improving across the board, so keeping stock seems risky. And in any normal case, keeping stock is expensive, its why supply is limited for everything across the globe, because JIT logistics is better than keeping stock according the excel ninjas.
If I understood the previous posts correctly, the scalpers get Japanese nationals to buy the consoles and pay them for it. So they are already paying above retail price for their stock.
If they can offload them all quickly its good for the scalper and I argue good for Sony. Larger chance that each of those consoles will trigger a game purchase right away.
Now if you as a scalper elect to sit on your stock, unless you get 4 times retail price, you are playing a risky game, any moment Sony might be flooding the market with consoles and you just lost a lot of money.

As for China, guessing at the demographics, whom ever can afford to buy a PS5 there, most likely has the surplus cash to buy the games. And if you are unable to get all titles locally, you will probably import a bunch, possible creating a higher front loaded attach rate. maybe the scalper also provvides you with the games.
I know very little about Chinese economy and who can afford a PS5 or not, but it does seem to me that its not a toy for an average person with an average income.
I think you have enough surplus cash to splurge on games if you get a PS5 at scalped prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back