All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2023 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't do analysis of trends on a single point. That was 1 day after a major announcement. Today's gamestop is the top 3 skus are all playstation and XSX is back to forth. With FF16 bundle being the top sku.
I mean fourth is still in competition, especially compared to where they were. And when those games actually release or have more marketing blitz it will be an even bigger boon

The Legend of Zelda continues to be a money printing IP. TOTK in only it's launch month has already catapulted to #2 for the year ... and it's only on one platform, and it doesn't include digital sales. So, it's possible that with digital sales, it might challenge Hogwarts for top spot of 2023 in just its launch month. :oops:

Triple digit growth for PS5 (dollar sales) and it wasn't able to surpass the double digit growth (dollar sales) for NSW in terms of total units or dollar sales for the month of May. TOTK might just be enough to push NSW lifetime sales over the DS and PS2.

Also, "all other platforms" is a polite way of saying Xbox. :p It'll be interesting to see how the supply increase will affect June's Xbox sales numbers.

Also, happy to see Elden Ring still charting. I wonder if Minecraft will ever drop out or if it's just meant to be a Top 20 game for the rest of my life. :p

Regards,
SB

This week's Famitsu numbers

[PS5] Final Fantasy XVI (Square Enix, 06/22/23) – 336,027 (New)
[NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo, 05/12/23) – 25,155 (1,697,225)

PlayStation 5 – 71,415 (3,273,600)
Switch OLED Model – 66,375 (4,901,166)
Switch – 20,941 (19,397,865)
Switch Lite – 18,674 (5,367,382)
PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 13,970 (529,583)
Xbox Series S – 8,448 (267,959)
PlayStation 4 – 2,427 (7,879,375)
Xbox Series X – 279 (201,789)
New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 33 (1,191,814)

1688092081069.png

This comes from an Xbox Brazil @ID presentation. A quick search shows Sony at 19.3m shipped as of May 2022.

View attachment 9165

This comes from an Xbox Brazil @ID presentation. A quick search shows Sony at 19.3m shipped as of May 2022.

What search engine are you using? The first thing that pops up is that PS5 has sold over 32.1m units as of February 2023. Anyhow, I guess the official lifetime sales for the Xbox One generation is 58m units sold (PS4 ~118m).

Edit: PS5 38m as of April.
Sony's PlayStation 5 has just wrapped its best year on the market so far and has crossed 38 million units sold as a result.

Last edited:
What search engine are you using? The first thing that pops up is that PS5 has sold over 32.1m units as of February 2023. Anyhow, I guess the official lifetime sales for the Xbox One generation is 58m units sold (PS4 ~118m).

Edit: PS5 38m as of April.
I just quickly used brave browsers built in one on m phone. Should have used bing.

So Sony is almost is almost double MS and Sony will likely remain dominate for another generation

So Sony is almost is almost double MS and Sony will likely remain dominate for another generation

Since Microsoft admitted today that Nintendo is a competitor in the FTC case, more than likely Nintendo will lead this generation again (in sales) once the next Switch is released. As such, Nintendo has been the dominant player in gaming (unit sales wise).

Since Microsoft admitted today that Nintendo is a competitor in the FTC case, more than likely Nintendo will lead this generation again (in sales) once the next Switch is released. As such, Nintendo has been the dominant player in gaming (unit sales wise).
Yea but what generation is the switch and what generation is the wii u. I think nintendo has broken away from the same generational cycle that MS/Sony are in. This is the second gen in a row that MS and sony released in the same month span

Yea but what generation is the switch and what generation is the wii u. I think nintendo has broken away from the same generational cycle that MS/Sony are in. This is the second gen in a row that MS and sony released in the same month span

I don't necessarily subscribe to launch dates as being the only factor when evaluating and/or declaring a new generation has started. I look at games as well: games that are exclusively for the next generation of systems. Since, cross-generational games have dominated the early parts of the current-gen systems lives, Switch fits perfectly between the prior and current. And games such as Mortal Kombat One which are exclusively current-gen will be on Switch as well. IMHO, Nintendo is quite smart on blurring the lines between prior and current gen technology or product iterations (Nintendo Switch, Switch Lite, Switch OLED, Switch Next, etc.), a continuous product update approach similar to cellphones you might say.

If anything, Sony and Microsoft could potentially take this path as well in the future. Getting away from "new generational starts," and becoming more agile through more iterative product processes, which could potentially allow them to reduce cost faster over time, while maintaining higher margins, and providing customers/gamers with more performant hardware, much faster, rather than later. My opinion of course...

I don't necessarily subscribe to launch dates as being the only factor when evaluating and/or declaring a new generation has started. I look at games as well: games that are exclusively for the next generation of systems. Since, cross-generational games have dominated the early parts of the current-gen systems lives, Switch fits perfectly between the prior and current. And games such as Mortal Kombat One which are exclusively current-gen will be on Switch as well. IMHO, Nintendo is quite smart on blurring the lines between prior and current gen technology or product iterations (Nintendo Switch, Switch Lite, Switch OLED, Switch Next, etc.), a continuous product update approach similar to cellphones you might say.

If anything, Sony and Microsoft could potentially take this path as well in the future. Getting away from "new generational starts," and becoming more agile through more iterative product processes, which could potentially allow them to reduce cost faster over time, while maintaining higher margins, and providing customers/gamers with more performant hardware, much faster, rather than later. My opinion of course...

Yes but of course the switch will have outsold MS and Sony with a 3 year + advantage in launch date.

I'd perfer Ms to move on from generations and just in 2025 release a zen 5/rdna 4/5 system but it sounds like they want to wait till 2028

I'd perfer Ms to move on from generations and just in 2025 release a zen 5/rdna 4/5 system but it sounds like they want to wait till 2028
I agree, but console gamers are a fickle bunch. I don't get the thought process of not wanting others to have a better gaming experience if they can afford it. As if their game enjoyment would suddenly end because now there is a more performant model available. I would love to see Sony or Microsoft go after a more higher-end market and those customers willing to pay for it.

Whenever they release a new gen. I hope it won't be another 2 different console moment

Last edited:
FFXVI doing gangbusters in Japan.
I was wondering how this was going to in Japan given it's not your conventional JRPG, i.e. it's very western / medieval and the realtime combat system felt a risk for this franchise.

I'm hoping that MS takes a 3 console approach actually - The S and X and then a X-Pro or something in 2025 that basically plays all the X games that are going to be 30 fps at 60 fps with extra storage or something for the enthusiast which eventually becomes the new X later and the X becomes the new S and the S becomes the M. :) Rolling hardware generations.

They could guarantee S support until 2030. After all the Xbox One was supported for about 10 years until this year when MS studios has gone next gen only.

To flesh out my thoughts:

2020 - S,X
2025 - XPro - $599 (realistic in this eco climate)
2027 - Shrink X - $299, Shrink S - $199, M - Mobile S - $299
2030 - 2X - $599, Shrink XPro - $399, Shrink X again - $249, End support for S

etc....

Last edited:
I don't think there is viable hardware to take games barely getting to 30 for series X to 60. Sorry. CPU limits are a different beast. In addition..your asking for 4 different pieces of hardware at once on the market with completely different hardware from one vendor? Just buy a PC at that point

Not really if the M is just a potable S. Devs just released games that could run on the X1, X1X, S, and X....

So you don't think 5 years newer tech, $100 and 2 process shrinks can double framerate?

We're in trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back