All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. I think in the meantime, estimates, should have no more credence than any other speculative sources.

I can't find my notes on this one, but was able to come up with Xbox One units shipped based off Microsoft financial quarterly reports. Please pardon the link to the source, as I'm on mobile but their statement is based off official Quarterly Financial Reports. Yes, there is a difference between shipped and sold, but it gives us rough idea.
  • November 15 2013 - Xbox One Release date
  • 2014 January Report - Xbox shipped 7.4 million
  • 2015 January Report - Xbox shipped 6.6 million

So Xbox shipped 14 million units in 14 months (November 2013 - December 2014)

6.6 million Xbox consoles were shipped, down from 7.4 million the year prior, the company cited the Xbox One's price promotion and first party software such as Minecraft, Halo: MCC and Forza Horizon 2 for a strong holiday showing.

Shipped numbers from Fianancial Report @ https://www.vgchartz.com/article/252907/microsoft-ship-66m-xbox-consoles-achieve-265b-revenue/

I believe, according to the forms rules regarding citing VGChartz, you need to ban yourself! :runaway:

As I said, pardon the link as being on mobile I couldn't readily find and link to the official Microsoft Financial Quarterly Reports. Those numbers are merely being echoed from official statenents.:runaway:

Seriously though, this calls in question the validity of all speculative/estimates.

Seriously, That's one of the reason why I always said the Xbox Series estimates were absolute lower bounds and should not be taken as "the number".

I wouldn’t think there would be a difference of 2 million between shipped and sold.

I wouldn't take that as an endorsement of those sales estimate, but more as a move to ride the wave to thank the consumers for their support.

They are not an analysis company, at least their numbers are not credible and are often subject to change. If you screen scraped their website and compared it qtr ot qtr you will see a lot of volatility when official numbers are released. Quite frankly, it's not entirely sure how their numbers are generated.

The same goes for most analysists, they all pull from the same data sources. In that regard VGChartz isn't any more or less inaccurate than Ampere Analysis.

As long as people understand to take any numbers released by anyone other than MS, Sony, Nintendo, etc. with some level of salt, then it's fair to use those numbers, IMO. Also, as long as the source is cited so that people will know it's an estimate from X source rather than officially reported numbers.

Regards,
SB

I wouldn't take that as an endorsement of those sales estimate, but more as a move to ride the wave to thank the consumers for their support.
I don't know. The US has some draconian SEC rules about comms regarding product performance. If VGC's numbers are high by a margin, that's the kind of thing that leads to probes about misleading investors. I reckon those numbers are pretty damn close. :yep2:

The same goes for most analysists, they all pull from the same data sources. In that regard VGChartz isn't any more or less inaccurate than Ampere Analysis.

As long as people understand to take any numbers released by anyone other than MS, Sony, Nintendo, etc. with some level of salt, then it's fair to use those numbers, IMO. Also, as long as the source is cited so that people will know it's an estimate from X source rather than officially reported numbers.

Regards,
SB
That’s a fair perspective. Just cite

I don't think he would retweet anything miss leading. If anything I would think he would only retweet something on the lower end of what they actually hit.
Xbox closing in on PS5 beast mode lol. Never underestimate competitors.
I don't know about that. I think the series s having less ram , smaller apu , less power requirements and a much smaller foot print is allowing them to out perform their previous best. It remains to be seen what Sony is actually able to do. The ps4 did very well and I am sure there is a loyal fan base that can continue to push it further than the xbox
I don't know. The US has some draconian SEC rules about comms regarding product performance. If VGC's numbers are high by a margin, that's the kind of thing that leads to probes about misleading investors. I reckon those numbers are pretty damn close. :yep2:
Yea, I don't think he would have retweeted it if the numbers were too high. So they are likely on par or a little lower than what they did.

If I were MS i'd step in here and open up the wallet to get it on xbox series . Start going around to a lot of companies to try to get them on board.

What companies can Microsoft pay to get the next Final Fantasy on PC? :-? Surely it's only one...

Greenberg retweeting them probably means theyre in the ballpark (or maybe not as he may be clueless or uncaring to Xbox sales in his role), but never forget vgchartz are just some guy's estimates. Probably well studied estimates of course, but just estimates.

Also 360 sales are a bad comp as that console sold not that well in it's early years. It really took off in later years 5-7 to a wild degree historically. Heck I remember tracking meticulously how Xbox One was ahead of 360 in NPD for ~5 years, and I dont think anybody thought One was a big hit.. Launch aligned my NPD numbers say 360 didn't eclipse One launch aligned until December 2018, more than 5 years after launch.

Also I forgot my thought, PS5 Horizon bundles for 550 are the main/only ones available in the states lately, so essentially the no increase for USA was a canard (though it gives them flexibility in the future I suppose)

Greenberg retweeting them probably means theyre in the ballpark (or maybe not as he may be clueless or uncaring to Xbox sales in his role), but never forget vgchartz are just some guy's estimates. Probably well studied estimates of course, but just estimates.

Also 360 sales are a bad comp as that console sold not that well in it's early years. It really took off in later years 5-7 to a wild degree historically. Heck I remember tracking meticulously how Xbox One was ahead of 360 in NPD for ~5 years, and I dont think anybody thought One was a big hit.. Launch aligned my NPD numbers say 360 didn't eclipse One launch aligned until December 2018, more than 5 years after launch.

Also I forgot my thought, PS5 Horizon bundles for 550 are the main/only ones available in the states lately, so essentially the no increase for USA was a canard (though it gives them flexibility in the future I suppose)
Are you sure ?

I had left gamestop by that point but my good friend worked there then as a manager. I preordered at his store the day preorders went up ( I had given him money to put down for me) and I got mine launch day but there were people on the reservation que that didn't get them for months and the xbox 360 as I remember it here in the USA took off from launch and never slowed down , the RROD stuff , The ps3 launch non of that really slowed it down.

It's a pretty tight race this generation and I believe it's about to get tighter when the XSS hits $250.
Microsoft played their cards well and benefited hugely from the competition's limited supply. They needed a contingency plan for the predicted supply limitations. And that gave birth to Series S.
It was a smart business strategy to be able to secure better production and ship even more XBOX's out there. Series S are significantly easier to find than X or PS5.
The two consoles more or less have the same games and they are equally as capable. Exclusive games are even less relevant now. People are eager to jump in to the new generation and due to scarcity more people are willing to buy whatever becomes available instead of waiting for a specific brand.
If chip production and costs weren't a problem, we might have seen a different picture altogether. Limited supply is pushing adoption at similar levels with the XBOX being a bit less constrained in terms of getting new XBOX's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back