All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's weird is that the Yen has dropped value compared to the US dollar, Canadian dollar, and Euro. That means that at the previous price, when you convert those sales to Yen, the amount that Sony made was more. Usually a weak local currency can lead to increased profitability when you are mainly doing international sales. This is why people a few years ago were upset and accusing China of artificially depressing the value of their currency because it gives them an unfair advantage in the world markets.

This is causing a right stink on Twitter with some really pissed at Sony and others saying everything else has gone up in price due to inflation so why should consoles be no different.

If MS can afford to do that. Usually consoles decrease in price some years in, not increase. Sony already hiked the price with the PSN tiers introduction.
The series s at least has gone under MSRP a few times already. The series consoles launched in 2020 I believe historically past consoles from all companies has dropped in price at this point or earlier.

What's weird is that the Yen has dropped value compared to the US dollar, Canadian dollar, and Euro. That means that at the previous price, when you convert those sales to Yen, the amount that Sony made was more. Usually a weak local currency can lead to increased profitability when you are mainly doing international sales. This is why people a few years ago were upset and accusing China of artificially depressing the value of their currency because it gives them an unfair advantage in the world markets.

See posts in the PS5 thread I made. Basically this is due to increased cost to manufacture which led to an increased price in Japan. Then other countries prices were increased to roughly match the current selling price in Japan after currency conversion. Countries like the US didn't have an increase due to the relative strength of the currency versus the Yen.

Regards,
SB

I've said for a while I'm surprised that consoles hasn't gone up in price much less go down, which people keep saying for Xbox.
Not that I'm expecting xbox to raise prices.

Remember that Sony even said they wasn't selling at a loss about a year or so ago.
Just shows consoles aren't in an economic bubble.

Microsoft: “We are constantly evaluating our business to offer our fans great gaming options. Our Xbox Series S suggested retail price remains at $299 (£250, €300) the Xbox Series X is $499 (£450, €500).”

Going to be really interesting to see if MS is willing to eat some cash to push globally lower prices to gain market share

The more powerfull console (XSX) together with gamepass is a very welcome addition this generation. They dont have to lower the base prices, they have to market/PR it like theres no tomorrow.

I would wager going into this holiday if they can even shave off $30 from the series S and market it all over the place that could move a lot of units in places where sony just raised prices. The larger the price difference the more chances a person will give xbox a second look

I would wager going into this holiday if they can even shave off $30 from the series S and market it all over the place that could move a lot of units in places where sony just raised prices. The larger the price difference the more chances a person will give xbox a second look

And focus on the european market i guess. MS got the games advantage this time around, together with the console-hardware being specced higher, should work well for the PR team.

I would say that if they have compelling, desirable, quality exclusives that will drive sales more.

Xbox has been selling well, the main reason for the difference in sales is that Sony produced more up until recently.

Once they both start to meet demand it will be about content.
XSS goes on sale enough times in the year for people who want it at that price.

I would say that if they have compelling, desirable, quality exclusives that will drive sales more.

Xbox has been selling well, the main reason for the difference in sales is that Sony produced more up until recently.

Once they both start to meet demand it will be about content.
XSS goes on sale enough times in the year for people who want it at that price.

microsoft has a lot of compelling , desirable , quality exclusives. Weren't they the publisher with the highest rated metacritic games in 2020 or 2021 ? We are also getting multiple console exclusives later this year and next year. This is a tired talking point which hasn't really been true in awhile.

Cutting off $30 or 30 euros/pounds would give them a large price advantage . Having the price reduce on all access and so on will help. If they could cut another $50 across the board it be an even bigger deal.

Sony going up in price while MS goes down is only a good thing for MS. But that is only if Ms is able to drop price.

Its not like xbox wont see these high budget AAA titles. They are in the makings and they are big hitters. MS talked about a two year period of cross-generation, which we are soon about to leave. its just that these huge AAA single player releases arent that viable anymore as they used to be. MS probably wants to attract to the largest/higher return of invest market first.
Putting these AA/AAA day one on gamepass isn't something the competition can compete with.

Fable, Starfield, Hellblade 2 are just examples. There are these big AAA SP experiences to come on MS's platforms too. Its not that users were missing out anyway, Halo, Forza horizon and motorsport, MSFS2020, sea of thieves, gears 5 for example. Its not a bad start at all.
Not to forget Activision/blizzard and the other studios they aquired will lead to quite many games a year available for gamepass users.

microsoft has a lot of compelling , desirable , quality exclusives. Weren't they the publisher with the highest rated metacritic games in 2020 or 2021 ? We are also getting multiple console exclusives later this year and next year. This is a tired talking point which hasn't really been true in awhile.

Cutting off $30 or 30 euros/pounds would give them a large price advantage . Having the price reduce on all access and so on will help. If they could cut another $50 across the board it be an even bigger deal.

Sony going up in price while MS goes down is only a good thing for MS. But that is only if Ms is able to drop price.
Once they are both able to meet demand then it will be a bigger focus. As I said xbox is already selling very well.

This year hasn't been great at all games wise and they've been able to do well based on having quality hardware at a good price point, gamepass and the promis that their studios will be releasing games.
Next year I'm expecting games to start to drop and that's what will swing people even more.
Especially in regions that are mainly PS centric, which is where they need to do better in. It's less about cost for them.

They are already very competive on price especially having XSS and sales.

Unlike last gen xbox is in a really good place, and even then they couldn't just sell it for peanuts to gain market share.

PS - I did say exclusives, you saying they won best publisher in 2021 when lot of the games was on PS doesn't really address it.
Just shows their capable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back