All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also how do we even calculate games played on Gamepass?

It all depends. Most of the games you can't, and only have public statements issued by the devs or publishers. Games like of Sea of Thieves, Grounded, and Dying Light put out some major milestone statements this summer. A lot of the other titles on GamePass have had major milestone statements too, such as Powerwash Simulator.

Some titles have in-game charts or leaderboards, but they don't include everyone. In particular for FH5, the game leaderboard excludes a few million players because they had not advanced beyond a certain point in story progression or have been filtered out of leaderboards because of score manipulation.

Some places have attempted to calculate player counts by tracking initial trophy / achievement unlocks. That becomes a problem for games with split single-player and multi-player modes, where not everyone even bothers with the SP Campaign.

It all depends. Most of the games you can't, and only have public statements issued by the devs or publishers. Games like of Sea of Thieves, Grounded, and Dying Light put out some major milestone statements this summer. A lot of the other titles on GamePass have had major milestone statements too, such as Powerwash Simulator.

Some titles have in-game charts or leaderboards, but they don't include everyone. In particular for FH5, the game leaderboard excludes a few million players because they had not advanced beyond a certain point in story progression or have been filtered out of leaderboards because of score manipulation.

Some places have attempted to calculate player counts by tracking initial trophy / achievement unlocks. That becomes a problem for games with split single-player and multi-player modes, where not everyone even bothers with the SP Campaign.

It's going to become even more interesting when MS launches a merged M365 + Gamepass subscription

Sony is no longer reporting PS4 shipments which means the final total for the console is ~117.2 million as of March 2022.
For reference, only the Game Boy and Game Boy Color (if you combine them like Nintendo does) has sold more (118.7m), along with the Nintendo DS (154m) and PlayStation 2 (Over 155m as of March 2012). The Nintendo Switch, which is currently at 111m, should surpass the PS4 by EOY

Very good run for the PS4. I wonder what the top is for the Switch. I'm guessing perhaps 150 by the end of its run ? It could perhaps even break ps2's run if they have another 2-3 years of sales

Back in January, Sony confirmed that more than 116m PS4 consoles have now been sold worldwide, and recently gave a lifetime sales total of 117.2 million, making it one of the most successful consoles of all time, if not quite eclipsing its most popular system, PS2. And while Microsoft has been more reticent about its sales figures, if the claims in the Brazillian court papers are right, that means Microsoft's Xbox One system could have sold around half that amount: somewhere in the region of 50-60 million.

PS4 sold "twice as many" units as Xbox One, new court papers show

So, I guess we can (un)officially state that Xbox One lifetime sales will be under 60M!? In the grand scheme of things, selling under 60M isn't all that bad, considering the turnaround after shafting Don Mattrick and the watercooler/TV-TV-TV debacle.

In the grand scheme of things, selling under 60M isn't all that bad, considering the turnaround after shafting Don Mattrick and the watercooler/TV-TV-TV debacle.
You could watch TV on it? They should have said... :runaway:

PS4 sold "twice as many" units as Xbox One, new court papers show

So, I guess we can (un)officially state that Xbox One lifetime sales will be under 60M!? In the grand scheme of things, selling under 60M isn't all that bad, considering the turnaround after shafting Don Mattrick and the watercooler/TV-TV-TV debacle.
Depands from what perspective we look at it, taking into account in prior generation sales were head to head this result is little disaster.

Depands from what perspective we look at it, taking into account in prior generation sales were head to head this result is little disaster.

No doubt unit sales when compared to XB360 look like a failure, but 50ish million consoles sold is still respectable. To me the PS3 was a bigger failure when compared to PS2 in pure unit sales (about a 70ish million unit sales difference). But still, 80+ million units sold is still commendable considering the disastrous pricing and poor third-party game performance when compared the more cheaper XB360.

No doubt unit sales when compared to XB360 look like a failure, but 50ish million consoles sold is still respectable. To me the PS3 was a bigger failure when compared to PS2 in pure unit sales (about a 70ish million unit sales difference). But still, 80+ million units sold is still commendable considering the disastrous pricing and poor third-party game performance when compared the more cheaper XB360.
PS3 to PS2 sales comparisons were always a bit iffy though because so many PS2s were sold as cheap DVD players, never intended for playing games. To a degree, I'm sure a fair few PS3s were sold as Blu-ray players also not intended to play games but probably far fewer.

What was a bit surprising, but which is a sign of a healthy market, is how sales boomed with PS4. It very much looked like a lot of people bought a PS2 because it was a good gaming machine, then bought a 360 because it was a good gaming machine, then bought a PS4 because it was a good gaming machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
PS3 to PS2 sales comparisons were always a bit iffy though because so many PS2s were sold as cheap DVD players, never intended for playing games. To a degree, I'm sure a fair few PS3s were sold as Blu-ray players also not intended to play games but probably far fewer.

What was a bit surprising, but which is a sign of a healthy market, is how sales boomed with PS4. It very much looked like a lot of people bought a PS2 because it was a good gaming machine, then bought a 360 because it was a good gaming machine, then bought a PS4 because it was a good gaming machine.

I feel the shrinks of the ps1 and ps2 were so much more effective than the ps3 shrinks which really made it a big deal.
1660683446695.png

I knew people buying them to install in cars back when it released.
1660683543073.png

The ps3 had revisions but I feel like it was still big even in its smallest form
1660683613876.png

The super slim looks like its as big as the ps4
1660683729625.png

I think this can plague the series x and ps4 also depending on what if any micron shrinks they get.

50euro (around 50usd?) official price hike for the PS5. Sony recently got sued for ripping off people on PSN, now these people get smacked on the back of the head for that :p
Many predict that sales will stagnate alot this winter, with economics/fuel/electricity/food prices etc (economical recession) doesnt help the already dire situation. Increasing the price only makes things not for the better to say the least.
This could be made worse for sony if MS is able to price reduce one or both of their consoles. a $250 series s looks a lot more tempting vs a $450 and $550 ps5 or even $500 series x.

This could be made worse for sony if MS is able to price reduce one or both of their consoles. a $250 series s looks a lot more tempting vs a $450 and $550 ps5 or even $500 series x.

If MS can afford to do that. Usually consoles decrease in price some years in, not increase. Sony already hiked the price with the PSN tiers introduction.

I think they were asked about this recently but they didn't respond. Here's their blog entry:

PS5 price to increase in select markets due to global economic environment, including high inflation rates​

The new RRPs below are effective immediately unless otherwise noted.*

• Europe
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
  • UK
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
  • Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 yen (including tax)
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 yen (including tax)
  • China
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299 yuan
    • PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499 yuan
  • Australia
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – AUD $799.95
    • PS5 Digital Edition – AUD $649.95
  • Mexico
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN $14,999
    • PS5 Digital Edition – MXN $12,499
  • Canada
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD $649.99
    • PS5 Digital Edition – CAD $519.99

Huh. I’ll be damned. Second this time happened for Canada. PS4 also went up in price after launch. Uh. Huh. Two points don’t make a trend but I’m getting suspicious now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back