All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If those numbers are accurate and MS can keep that kind of sales advantage going, they should pass PS5 LTD sales in the US by the end of the year. That's a big deal.

Wait... do the Xbox numbers not include XSS sales?

If they don't, MS is selling a *lot* more Xboxs that Sony is selling PS5s, in the US at least.

I'm going to guess its combined sales for the series consoles ?

But the numbers are still amazing even with a lot of big games delayed into 2023. I am thinking forza and starfield will really boost sales early next year.

How do the XS storage expansion prices compare to PS5's generic SSDs now? That is, how does XBSS plus drive expansion compare to PS5 Digital + SSD?

How do the XS storage expansion prices compare to PS5's generic SSDs now? That is, how does XBSS plus drive expansion compare to PS5 Digital + SSD?

In my region, XS expansion cart still as expensive as usual.

XSS + expansion card is still cheaper than ps5d+ssd tho.

Significantly more. Depending on the brand it's roughly 100 - 150 USD for a 1 TB PCIE gen 4 NVME drive depending on brand and speed. On Amazon (USA) currently it's 216 USD for a 1 TB Xbox Series expansion drive.

MS really should allow multiple manufacturers to make the drive. Seagate has no real reason to reduce the price of the drives as they are the only source for them. Granted there is cost involved in the case within which the drive resides, but I'm sure the cost would be a fair bit lower if there was some compeition.

Although you do get some perks for paying more. The Xbox expansion drives are easily installed (just plug it in) and they are hot swappable. That last makes it somewhat easier to have say, 8 TB worth of games installed if you can afford the drives and don't mind swapping drives depending on what game you want to play. How many people might find that last bit useful? Who knows? :)

Regards,
SB

There's sales of the 1TB down to usual price of $189. In the UK for Amazon Prime Days they had it on sale even cheaper.

Another indication that the revenues for the past two years were a covid-related blip. Everybody's numbers have fallen, or rather reverted to where they would have been hadn't a delay plague been ravaging the planet.
Most people are predicting a recession too. Actually we are realistically already in one, defined as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP (hilariously Biden is trying to change the definition just now for some reason)

People prefer to have something to play with than having nothing at all. If the PS5 was more available they would have chosen that.

If the PS5 and XB Series consoles were supply constrained, wouldn't be available to you for months and Game Stop made available for sale, the $500 Frolic Depot Series Square sourced from China, would you buy it?

Probably not, because how readily you choose an alternative in the absence of a preferred choice is dependent on your perception of how viable the alternative serves as a replacement.

If the PS5 and XB Series consoles were supply constrained, wouldn't be available to you for months and Game Stop made available for sale, the $500 Frolic Depot Series Square sourced from China, would you buy it?

Probably not, because how readily you choose an alternative in the absence of a preferred choice is dependent on your perception of how viable the alternative serves as a replacement.
That's the thing with the S, though. It's almost irrelevant how "good" it is, it's built on an ecosystem that has 4 generations of games, and the premium unit, if and when you can find one, will play the library you build in the mean time. No upstart or no-name brand gaming device can offer that, and the competition isn't willing to do so either.

Speaking of which, I remember Sony said they were going to start making PS4's again. Has anyone seen one in the wild? I know I haven't, and I also know they haven't been available to me through any wholesale channels I have.

Not going well, but i think thats for most markets right now. Excluding Apple, then.
yea post covid bubble pop has been rough on my portfolio. Thank goodness I don't plan to retire for a while, giving me enough runway to bring it back up.

I think there is a very real possibility that PS5 will not overtake PS4 in sales. They need to shrink and bring the price down while bringing the volumes up. That's going to be a real issue for them when compared to PS4. Harder to do with inflation now being a real factor. I think any company looking to increase prices to account for this would be a bad move.
MS on the other hand, it's looking really good at being the best sold xbox ever. The Series S at the lower price point is hitting the markets that can't afford the 499 price point. And when that price drop happens, and a slimming effect, it's going to sell even more units. The market is well covered and Series S will pull far ahead of X as the generation continues on.

I think Game Pass will be a big factor here for them, at least with respect to keeping players playing and paying from a variety of ecosystems. Sony will need to catch up quickly in this regard. I'm not happy about the drop in MAUs for Sony here. That's a lot of people that haven't turned on their console at least once in the month. 9M drop from peak.

Where did you get that data? I don't see it

It's in the Chart attachment in my post @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...and-anecdotes-2022-edition.62709/post-2258884

Look at the second line in the "Full game software" / "First party titles", in Million of Units. This line item includes all First Party Titles sales and any bundles software, so those PS5 Horizon: Forbidden West or MLB bundles are counted in there.

2021 Q1: 10.5
2021 Q2: 7.6
2021 Q3: 11.3
2021 Q4: 14.5

2022 Q1: 6.4

yea post covid bubble pop has been rough on my portfolio. Thank goodness I don't plan to retire for a while, giving me enough runway to bring it back up.
I've had sat on pharma for a while where it rarely moved over five years, which made it a good stable investment. Until the plague, then it became a great investment.

This first quarter the only new first party game published by PS has been MLB, or I forget something ? Then you have the residual sales of HFW and GT7, that have both launched in Q4 2021...Q1 2021 had MLB, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank : Rift apart + Days Gone on PC

Reactions: snc
This first quarter the only new first party game published by PS has been MLB, or I forget something ? Then you have the residual sales of HFW and GT7, that have both launched in Q4 2021...Q1 2021 had MLB, Returnal and Ratchet and Clank : Rift apart + Days Gone on PC
I think you are mistaken on the launch days. HFW and GT7 would have been this year unless the fiscal year 2021 ended this year but that does not make sense to me.

I believe FY2022 Q1 is April / May / June.

If so, then GT7 would have had 27 days in FY21-Q4, having release on March 4, 2022. Even during their slow quarters last year when they didn't release anything for months on end, they still had substantially better First Party sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back