All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2022 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh both are constrained but at the same time they have around equal shipments. People tend to buy whatever becomes available to shift to next gen gaming.
It is a whole different story compared to when both consoles have more than enough and people just make a choice.
So expect a lot of consumers who were more likely to buy a PS5, buying whatever becomes available.
Sounds quite in favour of Xbox then if you write it like that. If the only thing making a person choose one over the other is just supply, that would seriously make MS straight up happy.

Where is the talk of library, exclusivity, special exclusive or times DLC, Japanese catalog. If it really just comes down to supply, Sony has fallen far compared to our previous discussions as to why no one would pick Xbox over PlayStation.

The Xbox numbers are absolute lowest bound numbers. They were based on PR words such as "fastest selling xbox". As such they do not give actual numbers but only lowest bound limits.

Many see that number as not being accurate and so the gap is substantially closer than that.

We won't know the actual Xbox numbers because Microsoft does not report sales numbers.

We can be sure that they are behind the ps5 as if they weren't they would shout it from the roof tops. But one thing is for sure , we are in a vastly different situation than last generation. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft can keep the momentum going or even speed up

We can be sure that they are behind the ps5 as if they weren't they would shout it from the roof tops.

I don't think they would, as that would go against their company guidance in this area for a long time. It would also bring up the desire for them to report console sales going forward and re-affirm they stopped sharing numbers because they weren't the best before.

And yes, it is different this generation compared to last-gen, for the better for everyone.

Sounds quite in favour of Xbox then if you write it like that. If the only thing making a person choose one over the other is just supply, that would seriously make MS straight up happy.

Where is the talk of library, exclusivity, special exclusive or times DLC, Japanese catalog. If it really just comes down to supply, Sony has fallen far compared to our previous discussions as to why no one would pick Xbox over PlayStation.
People prefer to have something to play with than having nothing at all. If the PS5 was more available they would have chosen that.

I don't think they would, as that would go against their company guidance in this area for a long time. It would also bring up the desire for them to report console sales going forward and re-affirm they stopped sharing numbers because they weren't the best before.

And yes, it is different this generation compared to last-gen, for the better for everyone.

They would simply come out and say we hit this milestone.

While I agree, There’s practically nothing on Xbox that isn’t already on ps4.
Well and people want to upgrade apparently for better graphics, otherwise they wouldnt be buying a new console in the first place since everything is on PS4 and makes buying an XBOX Series meaningless overall as per your own argument.

We can be sure that they are behind the ps5 as if they weren't they would shout it from the roof tops. But one thing is for sure , we are in a vastly different situation than last generation. It will be interesting to see if Microsoft can keep the momentum going or even speed up

From what sales we do have Xbox are likely only a nominal amount ahead of Xbox One sales. Less than ten percent. Where we do have numbers in some cases they are a little behind, so that is why the conclusion.

However it's hard to suss much out from anything because of the supply constraints on all sides. Xbox is certainly showing a lot of life in Japan and I'm not sure why. I'd chalk it down to the S being perfect for Japan, but the X seems to be doing well too. Gamepass somehow? Anyway, Japan Xbox sales are so absolutely low they should be kept in context.

From what sales we do have Xbox are likely only a nominal amount ahead of Xbox One sales. Less than ten percent. Where we do have numbers in some cases they are a little behind, so that is why the conclusion.

However it's hard to suss much out from anything because of the supply constraints on all sides. Xbox is certainly showing a lot of life in Japan and I'm not sure why. I'd chalk it down to the S being perfect for Japan, but the X seems to be doing well too. Gamepass somehow? Anyway, Japan Xbox sales are so absolutely low they should be kept in context.

I wonder how succesfull xcloud is over there. Perhaps its just the logical conclusion of people subscribing to game pass ultimate there? LIke hey we are paying to play this stuff streamed on the go might as well drop the minimum cost to get one of the consoles to play on also?

That rarest of things these days, a real live NPD leak from Aquamarine at installbase. PS5/XBS only

PS5 US NPD HW:
Jan-22: 369K
Feb-22: 128K
Mar-22: 282K
Apr-22: 234K
May-22: 119K
LTD: 7395K

XBX US NPD HW:
Jan-22: 307K
Feb-22: 261K
Mar-22: 489K
Apr-22: 267K
May-22: 177K
LTD: 6700K

Apparantely the China lockdowns are beginning to cause shortage issues again. Hopefully that wears off quickly this time.

Microsoft has not given anyone actual console hardware sales numbers, other than brief PR blurbs. Considering how many months so far this year Microsoft's US Website has been readily selling stock directly, it might have a large impact on accuracy of the NPD numbers if they're not included. I'm also unsure if Sony provides direct sales numbers to companies like NPD as well.

That rarest of things these days, a real live NPD leak from Aquamarine at installbase. PS5/XBS only

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

Apparantely the China lockdowns are beginning to cause shortage issues again. Hopefully that wears off quickly this time.
I can find Xbox series on Amazon now in Canada, and it hasn't run out of stock yet and is now ranked 3rd in VG for the month. Bestbuy also has stock. Gamestop with a bundle. Walmart with bundle
I think MS shortages are nearing done at this point. Just need a little bit more consistency on shelves and online stores and we will likely get an idea of demand going forward.

Last edited:
I can find Xbox series on Amazon now in Canada, and it hasn't run out of stock yet and is now ranked 3rd in VG for the month. Bestbuy also has stock. Gamestop with a bundle. Walmart with bundle
I think MS shortages are nearing done at this point. Just need a little bit more consistency on shelves and online stores and we will likely get an idea of demand going forward.

I can't believe it's still listed as in stock on Beaverlandia Amazon after half a week or more.

Microsoft has not given anyone actual console hardware sales numbers, other than brief PR blurbs. Considering how many months so far this year Microsoft's US Website has been readily selling stock directly, it might have a large impact on accuracy of the NPD numbers if they're not included. I'm also unsure if Sony provides direct sales numbers to companies like NPD as well.

I dont have a cite or anything but I'm pretty sure I've read a few times NPD is effectively 99+% of the USA hardware market measured directly. It's likely MS is pretty intertwined with NPD for various sales reports such as the digital panel. In other words I assume MS direct sales are included, I've never heard anything otherwise. Also for the reason MS will probably want it's best foot forward in NPD reports, so they'll want as many hardware sales as possible included.

IIRC didn't NPD not include WM and have to extrapolate many years ago? But that's all past when Wal Mart joined too.

Untitled2.png

So summary of above: Xbox doing very well but PS5 very hampered by supply issues. Note that all these numbers are known sales (this is why Spain was included but not say Germany or France for example. It's because we regularly get Spain hardware sales information now through a source called Vandal (I believe a podcast).

Series X share by month estimate from Welfare (derived from previously revealed revenue and these leaked numbers):

Jan 31%
Feb 35%
March 58%
April 53%
May 29%

PS5 Blu Ray share

Jan 81%
Feb 81%
March 75%
April 85%
May 84%

For X, it's interesting but expected that in higher sales months Series X share grows. S should be fairly static, it's only the X supply that increases XBS sales.
For PS5 as expected, not many DE produced.

IMO Sony's is the vastly stronger SKU position. As costs come down they can increase PS5 DE production as needed to juice sales and effectively avail a price cut without a price cut. That is a powerful weapon in their back pocket. Supply issues may seem to be permanent but they are not. Having scalped a few PS5's around launch the DE is a gold mine and highly valued. It only streets for a little less than Blu Ray PS5 yet costs $100 less at retail.

Last edited:
The Microsoft store Canada also has series x available. They also have refurbs for a $35 discount.

You can see declines from the numbers though. Even though I agree with what you are saying for someone dedicated to finding a Series X, I suppose there is various thresholds where they become easier and easier (lets say, to walk in and find in store) that juice sales. All "available" is not created equal.

Alternatively I suppose a combination of summer sales doldrums may simply be hitting Xbox which has mostly saturated demand, if we assume supply is sufficient.

There is a lot of talk of Nvidia etc cutting chip orders in belief of a coming recession. Just wondering how that may effect console supply and demand.

Interesting the XBS-X is back to being by "invitation only" at Amazon US.

Amazon is often difficult to find consoles in the best of times. Weirdly. It seems they are out of stock often at all times including last gen. But they went to that "invitation" system some time ago for PS5/Series X. No doubt another tactic in testing to deter scalpers.

Stock X pricing mostly status quo. PS5 in the $640 range (down to $605 for the DE), Series X at no appreciable premium ($538). PS5 has shown steady price decline over the months but hasnt hit that saturation point just yet. Of course, fall season could juice prices again all depending on supply.

Last edited:

PS5 US NPD HW:

XBX US NPD HW:

If those numbers are accurate and MS can keep that kind of sales advantage going, they should pass PS5 LTD sales in the US by the end of the year. That's a big deal.

Wait... do the Xbox numbers not include XSS sales?

If they don't, MS is selling a *lot* more Xboxs that Sony is selling PS5s, in the US at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back