All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems like an awfully low figure for such a massive game in which every last corner was polished to a mirror sheen. Didn't Square Enix just disclose that the next TR game swallowed 70+ million dollars without marketing?

probably 80 to 100 millions dollars

God of War III: $44M development budget
God of War Ascension: $50M development budget

I'm going to venture and say, between $65-70M.

GoW (2018) also spent significantly longer in development with significantly more people involved. Somewhere around 100 million USD (give or take) would be a good starting place, I think.

Also, that kind of puts into perspective how much money Epic is sinking into Fortnite. More money is being put into it to promote the game than is being put into it to develop the game. They've recently announced a 100 million USD investment to promote Esports for Fortnite. That doesn't include some of their previous multi-million USD promotions for the game. Or whatever costs may be associated with their recent cross promotion with Marvel (certainly more valuable to Epic than to Marvel).

Regards,
SB

probably 80 to 100 millions dollars

GoW (2018) also spent significantly longer in development with significantly more people involved. Somewhere around 100 million USD (give or take)

Regards,
SB

Maybe.

I believe Sony has reduced a lot of it's developmental cost across their first party teams, it's IPs, by outsourcing certain parts of its internal engines to other less-costly teams (i.e., China). If I'm not mistaken, Horizon Zero Dawn cost about $47 million to develop, had a team of 350+ members (100 or so, being Chinese developers), and required six years of development time.

Maybe.

I believe Sony has reduced a lot of it's developmental cost across their first party teams, it's IPs, by outsourcing certain parts of its internal engines to other less-costly teams (i.e., China). If I'm not mistaken, Horizon Zero Dawn cost about $47 million to develop, had a team of 350+ members (100 or so, being Chinese developers), and required six years of development time.

45 milions euros is the minimum cost of Horizon Zero Dawn.

With a production budget of more than 45 million euros - Guerrilla does not want to mention the exact amount - Horizon Zero Dawn is the largest Dutch media production ever.

So about, $51 million in US dollars...

Edit: I wonder how many triple-A, third-party, American game developers, use Chinese outsourcing on game projects?

After Netherlands is cheaper for development than US. Maybe it is 60/70 millions dollars. This is the reason, they were 200 for Detroit and the game cost only 37 millions euros to create. Continental Europe is cheaper than US or UK for game development.

After Netherlands is cheaper for development than US. Maybe it is 60/70 millions dollars. This is the reason, they were 200 for Detroit and the game cost only 37 millions euros to create. Continental Europe is cheaper than US or UK for game development.

Yeah, I just don't see Sony pumping a $100 million (at the moment) into one game IP, regardless of GOW's lineage. I can see Sony wanting to reduce studio production cost by outsourcing certain parts of game development [Chinese developers] on keeping within a $65-70M budget. But then again, it's all a guess...

Yup, just follow the stench and crime! ;)

Detroit is far more than just that. Yes it does have it's fair share of crime. But then again, many in the world view America as a whole, as a violent place that's saturated with firearms. Anyhow, Downtown Detroit is booming from a rebirth in employment opportunities, education, commercial & housing development, and much more. Hell, most of the housing within the central downtown area and along the waterfront, are running from $300 thousand to the upwards high millions. And for me, growing up the first 18 years of my life in Detroit, was a blessing, which I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. It made me who I am... a fierce independent business owner, employing over 130 (63 whom are Detroit residents) people within film & video.

Honestly I like you BRiT, just surprised by that comment.

Detroit is far more than just that. Yes it does have it's fair share of crime. But then again, many in the world view America as a whole, as a violent place that's saturated with firearms. Anyhow, Downtown Detroit is booming from a rebirth in employment opportunities, education, commercial & housing development, and much more. Hell, most of the housing within the central downtown area and along the waterfront, are running from $300 thousand to the upwards high millions. And for me, growing up the first 18 years of my life in Detroit, was a blessing, which I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. It made me who I am... a fierce independent business owner, employing over 130 (63 whom are Detroit residents) people within film & video.

Honestly I like you BRiT, just surprised by that comment.

Hey, its not often someone from Cleveland can pick on another city, so when its available, you take the shot. Cleveland still gets shit from their river catching on fire and that was farther back. :p

Hey, its not often someone from Cleveland can pick on another city, so when its available, you take the shot. Cleveland still gets shit from their river catching on fire and that was farther back. :p

Cuyahoga River fire, got'ta love it... :LOL:

Oh yeah, go Cav's!:yep2:

Maybe.

Sure but HZD was developed in the Netherlands and GoW (2018) in Santa Monica, CA. It's not as expensive as SF but it isn't much cheaper. The cost to develop a game there is likely 2x what it costs to develop a game in the Netherlands (SF Bay area would likely be 2.5x to 3x).

California is great for attracting top programming talent, but it also comes at a very high development premium. Granted as a team gets larger, the costs are ameliorated somewhat (infrastructure, utilities, taxes, etc.) assuming they don't also require more square footage of office space, etc. Also, how much of the team is in Santa Monica, CA and how much is in say China would have an effect. So, sure I could see anywhere from 1.5x to 2.0x the cost of HZD. I still think it's likely closer to 2x though.

Something else that needs to be taken into account is the top quality voice acting used in GoW. That was also likely far more than the VA cost for HZD.

Regards,
SB

Sure but HZD was developed in the Netherlands and GoW (2018) in Santa Monica, CA. It's not as expensive as SF but it isn't much cheaper. The cost to develop a game there is likely 2x what it costs to develop a game in the Netherlands (SF Bay area would likely be 2.5x to 3x).

California is great for attracting top programming talent, but it also comes at a very high development premium. Granted as a team gets larger, the costs are ameliorated somewhat (infrastructure, utilities, taxes, etc.) assuming they don't also require more square footage of office space, etc. Also, how much of the team is in Santa Monica, CA and how much is in say China would have an effect. So, sure I could see anywhere from 1.5x to 2.0x the cost of HZD. I still think it's likely closer to 2x though.

Something else that needs to be taken into account is the top quality voice acting used in GoW. That was also likely far more than the VA cost for HZD.

Regards,
SB

I'm pretty familiar with the cost of living in California, as I own properties within the Carlsbad and Oceanside area. My point was more geared towards the outsourcing of parts (China in this case), and how it impacts the bottom line of developmental cost. California being as expensive as it is, I would assume this would be the case as well (outsourcing), if not more, than it's EU/UK studios. I can see Sony (Santa Monica Studio) outsourcing as much as they could to a Chinese team, on keeping cost down. And it makes perfect business sense on doing so. Mind you, I'm not disputing that God of War didn't cost more than say HZD... I'm just not sold on the $80-100 million dollar developmental price tag.

Last edited:
Sony Santa Monica needed God Of War to be a massive success after the cancellation of there previous big project. I'd estimate the total costs including marketing would be in the 130-150 million range. What kind of net profit are they looking at with 5 million copies sold?

Sony Santa Monica needed God Of War to be a massive success after the cancellation of there previous big project. I'd estimate the total costs including marketing would be in the 130-150 million range. What kind of net profit are they looking at with 5 million copies sold?

They are probably profitable
https://kotaku.com/5479698/what-your-60-really-buys

If it the same it means Sony gains 34 dollars on every physical copy and for each digital copy it is 100% 60 dollars for standard edition. And I don't count limited edition.

https://www.superdataresearch.com/us-digital-games-market/

Superdata estimate God of War sold 2,1 millions digital versions in April first three days and second week sales

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/5/15728406/ps4-sales-stats

A good example of that is the break down of sales for PS4’s Horizon Zero Dawn. As of April 30, more than 3.4 million copies of the game have been sold. Of those 915,000 were digital sales, according to PlayStation.

It is the only official ratio we have for digital sales 27% for Horizon Zero Dawn after two months. It is possible the ratio grows bigger with PSN discount and most of the physical sales are probably used game after the launch period.

In continental europe they have a new policy for digital Sony games since God of War no standard edition in french PSN, only deluxe digital edition 69,99 euros. I don't know if they will continue but it was the same things for Detroit deluxe edition with Heavy Rain. It means each digital version sold in Europe is 69,99 euros not 59,99 euros.

Using the digital ratio of HZD and the asumption all games sold 60 dollars, we have the minimum revenue of 205.100.000(124.100.000 for physical version and 81.000.000 for digital version). And the revenue is higher than this with limited physical edition, european digital editon and some revenue are in euros and some in other currency. And the digital ratio is maybe higher, it is increasing each year.

EDIT: I think Uncharted 4, Uncharted the Lost Legacy, Horizon zero Dawn and God of War are all profitable.

Last edited:
It is the only official ratio we have for digital sales 27% for Horizon Zero Dawn after two months. It is possible the ratio grows bigger with PSN discount and most of the physical sales are probably used game after the launch period.

I'd say the ratio is closer to 40% or more. For the month they've sold over 5 million (so less than 6 million, probably closer to 5 million as they used 3.1 million for first 3 days) units for April. Superdata estimates 2.1 million units sold digitally at launch in April. I wish they weren't so vague about that.

That could mean anything from the first 3 days of sales (which would put it at ~66% of sales as GoW sold 3.1 million in the first 3 days), first week, or all of April (which would put it at ~40%).

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back