All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2018 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. But I was talking about active subscribers, not active users. Those are tracked and reported separately. For example, back in 2016 when the link I posted reported the numbers. Active subscribers stood at 48 million while active users stood at 55 million.

No, Forbes just misreported the 48M figure from MS's financial statement, where it clearly stated that

"Xbox Live monthly active users grew 30% year-over-year to a record 48 million"

https://news.microsoft.com/2016/01/28/microsoft-cloud-strength-highlights-second-quarter-results/

Does not say anything about subscribers.

Yes, I'm looking back through their reports, especially when they transitioned to reporting on active users rather than hardware install base.

It represents people that have logged into the XBL service for any given month and is reported on a month to month basis. What device that person logged into isn't relevant for those numbers, but they also don't count user multiple times (IE - if a user logged on through Xbox, PC, and mobile, they are still only counted as 1 user).

As it's reported on a monthly basis, it isn't representative of yearly active users.

Reading more into it, it's an interesting way to look at things. Install base doesn't tell you much as there's no indication of whether a machine is being used or not. Active users, of course, doesn't tell you how many machines are out there, only how many people are using your service. As Xbox is integrated into the Windows ecosystem, Xbox hardware numbers become less relevant to investors than how many people are using their service.

Regards,
SB

48 million Xbox Live subscribers (paying members, account holders don't count unless they are actively subscribing) as of Jan. of this year. That's up from 39 million subscribers a year ago.

From your own source : "Xbox Live monthly active users grew 30% year-over-year to a record 48 million"

https://news.microsoft.com/2016/01/28/microsoft-cloud-strength-highlights-second-quarter-results/

Also, my point was mainly about the Xbox One vs the PS4.

48 millions is far higher than the Xbox One install base...

There's no evidence that Xbox One players pay more often for their online services than PS4 players.

Edit : already beaten by Dr Evil.

What you can infer is that there's less people willing to pay for PSN+ than for Xbox Live Gold as there's less incentive to pay for PSN+.
IMO, PS4 is more popular console, it has larger "casual" audience, and it is selling well in emerging markets. All those factors mean that it reaches more players that are not interested in premium services.

Xbone has larger ratio of "core" audience, and those gamers are willing to spend more on anything that is offered.

Yeesh, it may be dying down slowly in the West, but it's just ramping up in China.

100 million registered users in China in less than a year. 150 million paid versions in other countries over the span of multiple years.

Just when I thought Minecraft's revenue streams were finally starting to dry up, in comes China to inject more money into that IP. Yes, it's F2P, but F2P often brings in more revenue than paid games.

I wonder if this is why I'm seeing some streamers playing Minecraft again on stream after not playing Minecraft for over a year?

Regards,
SB

Just when I thought Minecraft's revenue streams were finally starting to dry up, in comes China to inject more money into that IP. Yes, it's F2P, but F2P often brings in more revenue than paid games.

What do players have the pay for in F2P Minecraft? I.e. what is the revenue steam? Minecraft player since alpha here asking.

What do players have the pay for in F2P Minecraft? I.e. what is the revenue steam? Minecraft player since alpha here asking.

Skins, Textures are what I see as cost upgrades for Xbox MineCraft, like look at whats included in this bundle: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sto...collection/9pmtbb8xs937?ocid=MCX1_int_omc_min

They also list 1000 minecraft coins in that bundle. I dont know what can be purchases with that currency, maybe other skins/textures or perhaps Realm kits too?

As to the F2P, maybe they charge for game storage like if you want to expand your world? This would be different cost from having your own minecraft virtual server that others can play in.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/minecraft/id479516143

That lists the In-App purchases available on iOS. 2 of the items are monthly subscriptions.

That's for the paid version, however. The F2P version has a different type of marketplace which includes items sold by vetted 3rd parties.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/10/minecraft-marketplace-on-mobile/

Apparently you're supposed to be able to buy whole worlds in there?

And the MS page for it (https://minecraft.net/en-us/marketplace/ )

I don't play Minecraft, so I don't know if that's all been integrated into the paid version as well, but I think it has been? I do know that one of my relatives recently mentioned that she's spent over 100 USD in it for her kids and another 100+ USD on Minecraft physical merchandise for them. :p She spoils her kids rotten.

I also don't know if the Chinese version is the same as the western version, but I'm assuming it is.

Regards,
SB

Are there any numbers on how much was spent on making the game?

Unknown. But SSM is ~300 devs, the production was long, there was outsorcing, and of course all global branches of Sony production/business/marketing/etc support were involved. I was not cheap.

On the other hand, Quantic Dream leadership mentioned that their latest game was [again] created for a ~"lower range of AAA budget".

Besides past development, I’m sure the cash flow sets them up for a couple of years until they can produce another revenue generator.

So some kind of pre production work for the next game? Probably shrink the staff size for a couple of years.

Besides past development, I’m sure the cash flow sets them up for a couple of years until they can produce another revenue generator.

We've no insight into how budgeting works for Sony's first party studios but I doubt very much that Sony Santa Monica will see any of that actual money. More likely studios running costs are covered by their geographic parent (Sony Interactive Entertainment North America, Europe and Asia divisions) or Sony Worldwide Studios directly. And remember even prolific studios have stumbles; last year there was news that Sony Santa Monica had a project cancelled and that'll eat in whatever profit measure Sony use.

We've no insight into how budgeting works for Sony's first party studios but I doubt very much that Sony Santa Monica will see any of that actual money. More likely studios running costs are covered by their geographic parent (Sony Interactive Entertainment North America, Europe and Asia divisions) or Sony Worldwide Studios directly. And remember even prolific studios have stumbles; last year there was news that Sony Santa Monica had a project cancelled and that'll eat in whatever profit measure Sony use.

The rumor said the game cancellation is the cause of the of lost 100 millions and it is probably the reason they stop indie games incubator inside Sony Santa Monica too. God of War will probably cover all the cost.

Last edited:
God of War III: $44M development budget
God of War Ascension: $50M development budget

I'm going to venture and say, between $65-70M.

That seems like an awfully low figure for such a massive game in which every last corner was polished to a mirror sheen. Didn't Square Enix just disclose that the next TR game swallowed 70+ million dollars without marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back