All purpose Sales and Sales Rumors and Anecdotes [2016 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The game is doing fine, it's #5, but I guess most of the people interested might have a console.
Lol yea I don't think it's a system seller, sorry I didn't pick up on that until you explicitly explained that now.

They could... but since gen8 started Amazon rankings always predicted the NPD winner. I don't see that starting to change now [especially in this month where PS4 is again having a commanding lead on Amazon rankings].

WTH!? How is it even possible for Uncharted 4 to be charting (#19) in the Best Sellers of 2016 category already? This category was reserved for actual sales, not pre-orders (unless policy has changed). Anyhow, to be at spot 19 for the year already is quite amazing....

Or just goes to show how few people buy from BestBuy?

If a major shift from getting off ones ass, to sitting on one's ass has occurred... Amazon video game sales (still) only represent 6-7% of actual physical sales. While GameStop, BestBuy and Walmart account for the vast majority of sales.

Yeah, I just don't see how it can be that high already at BB, considering pre-orders should not factor into that Top List.

Also it was less a statement as to people buying games from BB as it was to not buying other items in mass from BB, thus making it far easier to get into their Top List.

Not that surprising. Dark Souls 3 (pre-order) isn't out yet and it's 2 spots ahead of Uncharted 4 (pre-order). And that's a multiplat that can be gotten on 3 different platforms (so dilution of sales if we assume lots of people play games on both a PS4 and PC like many in this forum seem to believe) versus an exclusive.

EDIT - DS3 holds both the number 1 and number 2 slots for top sellers on Steam. More anecdotal proof that people that game on both a console and PC are a very small minority. Either that or DS3 is starting to hit GTA, Batman, Fallout levels of popularity which is unlikely considering it's still pretty niche.

By the end of the year, it's entirely possible that neither of them will be in the top 20 as most sales happen during the holiday shopping season. For example, Bloodborne was in the top 20 for most of 2015, but ended the year outside of the top 20 (still ended up very well at number 30).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Not that surprising. Dark Souls 3 (pre-order) isn't out yet and it's a spot ahead of Uncharted 4 (pre-order). And that's a multiplat that can be gotten on 3 different platforms (so dilution of sales if we assume lots of people own both a PS4 and PC like many in this forum seem to believe) versus an exclusive.

By the end of the year, it's entirely possible that neither of them will be in the top 20 as most sales happen during the holiday shopping season.

Regards,
SB

Fixed. I'm being an ass here... it goes back and forth :p

So, it seems Amazon is now factoring in pre-orders in their best sellers of 2016 , which is quite weird. Also, Quantum Break is charting at #74 for the year.

Some of my Xbox friends were bragging (years ago obviously) that PS4 was tracking behind Xbox One on Amazon. And we all know how that turned out, right?

I actually had to buy MS shares to file a request for disclosing sale numbers. Still they would not give them, claiming they had no access to such information. Major shareholders don't want sale data disclosed to the public.. So something is telling me amazon was not correct :)

Some of my Xbox friends were bragging (years ago obviously) that PS4 was tracking behind Xbox One on Amazon. And we all know how that turned out, right?

I actually had to buy MS shares to file a request for disclosing sale numbers. Still they would not give them, claiming they had no access to such information. Major shareholders don't want sale data disclosed to the public.. So something is telling me amazon was not correct :)

We all should want MS to do well - IMO having one console dominate makes the platform owner complacent, I'd argue we'd have more unique first party titles on PS4 right now if the sales race was more even. It's not that multi-platform titles aren't good but I genuinely did enjoy the Sony developed software last generation and feel a little disappointed with what they have made available on PS4 LTD not some much in terms of quality but the quantity.

We all should want MS to do well - IMO having one console dominate makes the platform owner complacent, I'd argue we'd have more unique first party titles on PS4 right now if the sales race was more even.
When has Sony been complacent? Even PS3 coming of the high of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 was far from complacent. It was ludicrously ambitious. That was a lot of the problems it had at launch.

I actually had to buy MS shares to file a request for disclosing sale numbers. Still they would not give them, claiming they had no access to such information. (1) Major shareholders don't want sale data disclosed to the public.. (2) So something is telling me amazon was not correct :)
That's information they wouldn't want to give to shareholders even if they were leading the sales war. So (1) and (2) are probably not correlated.

We all should want MS to do well - IMO having one console dominate makes the platform owner complacent, I'd argue we'd have more unique first party titles on PS4 right now if the sales race was more even. It's not that multi-platform titles aren't good but I genuinely did enjoy the Sony developed software last generation and feel a little disappointed with what they have made available on PS4 LTD not some much in terms of quality but the quantity.

Complacent? It is the same thing than last gen a console begin to turn things around with exclusive title into third year of existence (2009 for PS3, 2016 for PS4...)

There were a little more exclusive games before 2009 on PS3 than before 2016 on PS4 but market has changed shooters is a genre dominated by third party release and car game market shrink...

AAA games is more expensive with a team of 200 people in Guerrilla or 300 in Naughty Dog without counting outsourcing art team and development of a AAA games is a little bit longer (two years on PS3, 3 years on PS4...)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back