The Big Forza 2 Thread *

GT:HD's car modelling and lighting totally blow this out of the water. The reflectivity on the cars here is completely and utterly wrong; it's not just 'a bit iffy' or 'needing work', it just doesn't look realistic in the slightest.

GTHDP.jpg

HOTForza.jpg

They have a got a lot of time left, yes, but considering GT4 looked as good, if not better, than the original Forza despite running on such a comparatively weak platform, I shouldn't think there'll be much of a contest between GT5 and Forza 2.

People bring this up a lot, but the fact that Forza 1 had damage modelling changes how this should be compared IMO. Having 1 static model versus having a car with numerous damage states, independant across the various segments of the car, has its tradeoffs. Even if a car only has 3 damage states for all the parts, you are looking at significantly increasing the number of poly models, textures, and the overhead related to tracking and calculating these changes. Basically a more dynamic car model may preclude certain pre-baked rendering techniques. Same thing in mind with the 360 version (plus the fact users can now paint their car in great detail, and this is shown online).

I guess it is really a matter of what is important to the user: Does the user want a very pretty, albeit very static, experience or does the user want something that reacts to their input. It is much like the 60fps v. 30fps debate. What looks better: A nicer model and effects at 30fps or some reduction in fidelity but an edge in fluidity?

I guess what I am pointing out that even though Forza and GT4 are in the same genre they have significant differences in core gameplay/style and how they go about presenting the experience to the user. If Turn 10 had made Forza a cookie cutter GT4 it would be easier to compare, but as is the fact Forza 1 has damage modeling on the cars the dynamic to "graphics" shifts a bit IMO.

And as previously noted by someone else, dev team size, time, and budget play a role into these things.

Ps- As for the GT:HD comment, as weak as many of the FM2 shots look, I haven't seen any get even remotely close to this. As much as I have badgered FM2, I ain't even gonna touch GT:HD comparisons to it...

Correction: It was kindly pointed out to me that Forza 1 supported custom paint jobs as well, offine and online it seems. Please pardon my casual Xbox/PS2 gaming as I am a po' Nintendo gamer...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you guys have any screen caps of F2 where the F430 isn't wrecked?
The damage modelling looks excellent but it hurts to see that car all banged up :(

unfortunately not
the material is very limited, for the time being its about 40 digicam pics and two youtube videos, all leaked from spain showfloor.
the 430 was filmed to demonstrate the car damage (obviously by ignorants, since ferraris always damage the least!!)
and all ferrari footage available until now has the car already messed up.

hopefully some day m$ will release something official. :devilish:

(clicky for bigger)
*snip*
:cool:

Personally I think that shot is amazing.

Critically, there really isn't much you could do to improve that pic imo. Maybe the car is a bit too reflective, but thats about it.
The lighting is great. The wheels rims for example, very nice solid look to them. The highlights on the cars body are excellent too. Look at the trailing edge between the rear light/spoiler, the highlighting is damn near perfect. The tail light itself looks excellent, clearly actually has geometry behind the red plastic.
The grass in the foreground is outstanding too. Sure it's not perfect, but you can't expect that. The shadow from the car in particular looks really good, especially on the grass.

Try and spot a polygonal edge.
The road looks awesome too. It's not flat for a start, you can see it's slightly higher in the middle, and to the left, you can see it has imperfections too.

The shots showing off the pit area look great too. The lighting inside the pit area garages is subtle but very, very good.

New screens:

Click to enlarge:

other than the first two pics, the rest are older than my grandma.

I think m$ is pulling our leg on this one..
still nothing official.
demos have been playing on TGS and X06, yet we see nothing. :devilish:

I just hope that MS does not go and release this game before it is ready. This game should be a showpiece in all kinds of ways, I hope they let it become one as well...

Personally I think that shot is amazing.

Critically, there really isn't much you could do to improve that pic imo. Maybe the car is a bit too reflective, but thats about it.
The lighting is great...

The grass in the foreground is outstanding too. Sure it's not perfect, but you can't expect that. The shadow from the car in particular looks really good, especially on the grass.

I agree that it looks good, and it's definitely on my must have list, but the shadowing, at least in this early work-in-progress, is just goofy. In that shot, the car shadow on the road disappears as it crosses the white stripe on the road, and along most of the side of the car you can't really tell if the shadow is there in the grass or not. At the back, it looks better... but what happened to the side?

In general, the car looks outstanding. But it looks like a photo that has been cropped and pasted on a "fake" background. IMO, backgrounds are just difficult, especially in a game where the main characters (the cars) are so easy to model well and where the style of gameplay keeps your attention on the scenery more than the actual characters/cars.

Forza 1 was a fantastic looking game, I have faith F2 will look fantastic as well. Way more importantly is how it will play and Forza 1's gameplay and physics was awesome.

Forza 1 was a fantastic looking game, I have faith F2 will look fantastic as well. Way more importantly is how it will play and Forza 1's gameplay and physics was awesome.

There was something that Forza 1 lacked that GT4 had, even though Forza was the technically superior game. Maybe it comes down to Polyphony's texturing jobs or neutral-tone colors, but Forza looked more cartoony thatn GT4 (GT4 wasn't all good either, it had some rendering issues, shimmering, low poly counts, etc). Forza 2 is a step in the right direction, but I'm still not feeling some of the texture work that I've seen so far, nor am I into the oversaturated color scale. I've read that some of the textures are still placeholders, so I'm excited to see what else the team can pull off. For the most part though, it really is a great looking game.

There was something that Forza 1 lacked that GT4 had, even though Forza was the technically superior game. Maybe it comes down to Polyphony's texturing jobs or neutral-tone colors, but Forza looked more cartoony thatn GT4 (GT4 wasn't all good either, it had some rendering issues, shimmering, low poly counts, etc). Forza 2 is a step in the right direction, but I'm still not feeling some of the texture work that I've seen so far, nor am I into the oversaturated color scale. I've read that some of the textures are still placeholders, so I'm excited to see what else the team can pull off. For the most part though, it really is a great looking game.

Agreed. Those shots look still a bit cartoony for me, too. But it's still good looking

Could you please stop the back-and-forth bickering? It's tiresome.

As a non-racing gamer (except Wipeout ;)) these pics look much like I'd expect from any next-gen console at this point in time. I also expect GT5 to be more impressive once it comes out - anyone with half a brain can conclude that from budgets, dev team sizes and development time. No need to even get into the fact that they're on different consoles.

GT5 will be compared with PGR4 when it comes out ,not with Forza2.Forza2 will be old news by that time.

I agree with you but didn't want to to start comparing it to GT4 :LOL:

I'm fine with the graphics. they don't blow me away, but they don't need to either. they're decent enough. because I know the dev-team is starting with 60fps first & foremost, then working on making the graphics better. as long as it's 60fps, and has realistic handling, physics, etc, it's good enough for me. I support "60fps-first" decisions. seems like they'll have earned my $$, unlike PGR2 and PGR3.

Specifically in next-gen racing games , i dont like simulators and i dont like cartoony graphics.
FM seems to be a simulator with cartoony graphics... :smile:

Back