Apple Vision Pro

I'm still looking for a possible explanation for large area CMOS, one thing explaining it is redundancy, multiple pixel drivers on CMOS vs. TFT (glass) because that's allowed by silicon (vs. TFT that should be around ~150nm feature size as of now ?). BTW in that thread they say the cost of displays is half of whole parts cost. That's about the MSRP of lesser headsets, and this should be a flimsy throwaway product sometime, ouch.

Apple is expecting to make far fewer units due to component shortages.
Sources from Apple and Luxshare - the Chinese manufacturer assembling the Apple Vision Pro - are expecting to make fewer than 400,000 units in 2024. Luxshare seems to be the only company producing the headset, initially at least.

Other sources from Chinese suppliers of specific components used in the headset revealed Apple has only requested enough parts to produce 130,000 - 150,000 units in 2024.
A friend also drew my attention to Unity being the development partner. Not Epic and Unreal, for obvious reasons!

Apple is expecting to make far fewer units due to component shortages.

A friend also drew my attention to Unity being the development partner. Not Epic and Unreal, for obvious reasons!

Hmm, so within my estimate of 100-200k units even though the manufacturer expects they could make potentially between 300-400k (if it was less they've have said fewer than 300k for example or fewer than 200k). Interesting.

Regards,
SB

Interesting study and the reason I think the isolation aspect is wholly justified even if the cost is currently burdensome bulkiness (not for long presumably), and the passthrough is less interesting than this and with its high pixel per degree quality the AVP is breaking new ground:
January 2009
Binocular depth discrimination and estimation beyond interaction space
Several authors propose that stereopsis is most useful for interacting with objects at arms length or in ‘grasp’ or ‘personal’ space (e.g., Arsenault & Ware, 2004; Cutting & Vishton, 1996; McKee, Levi, & Bowne, 1990; Morgan, 2003) and Gregory (1966, p. 53) asserts that we ‘are effectively one-eyed for distances greater than about twenty feet’ (approx. 6 m). However, humans are extremely sensitive to binocular disparities and can detect depth differences corresponding to horizontal image width disparities of a few seconds of arc (Howard, 1919). Given this precise stereo acuity, geometrical analysis suggests that it should be possible to obtain useful information from stereopsis at much larger distances than conventionally assumed.

Looks amazing but I really don't like the battery on your arm design. I assume with it being apple it won't be possible to tether it to a PC? That will presumably make gaming options extremely limited given it will also lack the Meta ecosystem.

Looks amazing but I really don't like the battery on your arm design. I assume with it being apple it won't be possible to tether it to a PC? That will presumably make gaming options extremely limited given it will also lack the Meta ecosystem.

They're more interested in the 'spatial computing' side than fully immersive VR/games. Broadcasting via Steamlink to a big virtual display will be cool for 30 mins before getting neck ache. Not $3500 cool though!

Some estimates of 160-180k orders.

Some SKUs are supposedly backordered or have delivery dates way out.

It's impressive that offering so little for so much it already sold.
I'm for sure out of target, but can't imagine a demographic subset that's in target.

anyway...

it's horribly expensive, but the tech in there is awesome AND expensive though.
we should reach that quality in $500 headset in a couple years.

The expensive displays and sensors would be awesome in a device optimized for VR and AR gaming (ie. laser tag and other themepark stuff). There's too many compromises to chase respectability in a market which likely doesn't exist though.

The expensive displays and sensors would be awesome in a device optimized for VR and AR gaming (ie. laser tag and other themepark stuff). There's too many compromises to chase respectability in a market which likely doesn't exist though.

The question is whether gaming is big enough of a market to sustain the development of these devices and content.

Meta tried to tout the metaverse, a virtual place for people to interact in various ways, to go beyond gaming. That hasn't worked out.

Apple is trying to tout "spatial computing" like it's a new UI/UX paradigm. Remains to be seen if that will have broader appeal beyond gaming.

The question is whether gaming is big enough of a market to sustain the development of these devices and content.

Meta tried to tout the metaverse, a virtual place for people to interact in various ways, to go beyond gaming. That hasn't worked out.

Apple is trying to tout "spatial computing" like it's a new UI/UX paradigm. Remains to be seen if that will have broader appeal beyond gaming.

They have no choice it's variants of "room scale" bc. display technology is still short of eye resolution by >30% ( 40pixels per degree vs. 60 - with insane 5-10w per eye silicon backplane). So no fonts, close up, far distance. Even if it wasn't short there would be content bottleneck these gaussian splattings are still far cry from a better lightfield Lytro was showing off before selling off to google.

So, apparently the headset may help to cull the human race of stupendously stupid people.

So, I can see some imminent inductees into the Darwin Awards. :p

Regards,
SB

So, apparently the headset may help to cull the human race of stupendously stupid people.

So, I can see some imminent inductees into the Darwin Awards. :p

Regards,
SB
oh wow that is really bad. I hope apple can figure out some way of stopping this. Wonder if they can use external cameras on the headset to look for a steering wheel/ windshield and disable it

Back