The Big Forza 2 Thread *

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
Not a direct feed, but pictures taking with a digital camera @ X06.
untitled-1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled6.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/ch1tothebody/untitled7.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/ch1tothebody/bilder26776rs6lh8.jpg

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing anything all that great here. looks pretty ordinary to me.

EDIT: I think it's probably cause they are photos and not direct screens.

The shots are somewhat weird to me, like giving me some mixed feelings.

It is not that they look actually bad, but they look somewhat fake. I dont know if it has something to do with the artists or something, or maybe is just a matter of tastes.

Its more noticeable on this pic:

untitled2.jpg

the first one and the two last are fucking awesome. Maybe it is because the sun light is lower. If so, they know what is the way.

the first one and the two last are fucking awesome. Maybe it is because the sun light is lower. If so, they know what is the way.

It's camera exposure. Very common problem when you are in a dark room taking a picture of a lighted object, it's often over-exposed.

Pic #2 looks like #2. Like a progression of Sega arcade racers. Really, I HATE the lighting. Have the developers never actually been outside before?

Its more noticeable on this pic:

untitled2.jpg
I concur. The lighting model, certainly as exhibited in that pic, isn't great. The reflections really damage the composition, as your brain is telling you you should be seeing the road, white line and grass reflected from this viewpoint, but it looks like a cubemap. Probably works well from the in-car view, but from this external view you get that definite 'uncanny valley' experience. Also the car's shader isn't too hot either, with a sort of silvery finish rather than a more expected gloss finish. It looks as though the car hasn't been painted and is just riding around in a buffed aluminium body. I think it has too much saturation in the reflections. If I were them I'd try just using the intensity pretty much for specular highlights. Unless there's a car out there that actually looks like this?!

Edit : I'll add that the top pic looks very different. The shadowing is very good, combining the hard shadow from direct sunlight with the soft AO shadow occluding sky-light. The muted colours help with the realism I think, but I expect that's more a result of taking from a scene then intentional.

Last edited by a moderator:
by the way, look at the ferrari rims. They look good and on the other hand developers just implemented tires and rims lod today.

I concur. The lighting model, certainly as exhibited in that pic, isn't great. The reflections really damage the composition, as your brain is telling you you should be seeing the road, white line and grass reflected from this viewpoint, but it looks like a cubemap. Probably works well from the in-car view, but from this external view you get that definite 'uncanny valley' experience. Also the car's shader isn't too hot either, with a sort of silvery finish rather than a more expected gloss finish. It looks as though the car hasn't been painted and is just riding around in a buffed aluminium body. I think it has too much saturation in the reflections. If I were them I'd try just using the intensity pretty much for specular highlights. Unless there's a car out there that actually looks like this?!

Edit : I'll add that the top pic looks very different. The shadowing is very good, combining the hard shadow from direct sunlight with the soft AO shadow occluding sky-light. The muted colours help with the realism I think, but I expect that's more a result of taking from a scene then intentional.

I think that is just a bad picture taken, as this is the same car, same position, just a different pic

untitled3.jpg

I think that is just a bad picture taken, as this is the same car, same position, just a different pic
That's not really any better though. It just has massive contrast hiding the car shading. Wheels look pretty good though.

yes, i think so. As if the images in which the sun is supposed not to be just in front of the gamer view seem to have a much more realistic lighting

That's not really any better though. It just has massive contrast hiding the car shading. Wheels look pretty good though.

Look at the red circle with white line running through it. It's obviously very washed out in the first pic. So is the majority of the HUD.

These are items that are not effected by the lighting. They are part of the HUD and should look exactly the same in every picture. The fact that they don't shows that there is a big problem with the contrast in the picture, not in the game.

I thought the second to last looked particularly great; I had to look at it twice because, in passing it quickly, I thought I was looking at cg or better--it wasn't completely due to the car either, it was the background too. The reflections on the car in the second shot, however, look a bit... out of place. To me, anyway.

i do agree with shifty that the second shot looks disturbing, but i also have to agree with powderkeg (for once) that it's no small part due to the physical camera setup, the white ballance most likely - there are some reflections on this unbelievably chrome paintwork that simply cannot have the colors they seem to have (pink clouds on a silver chromatic surface, anybody?)

i just can't figure out one thing from those shots, though: how did the guy manage to waste the car by that point given that from tsukuba's start-finish line to this point on the track there's only one serious corner and one chicane ; )

Back