Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
From their first announcement to recent statements they've always said that Project Scorpio will be released this holiday season. Just as the talk that the PS4 Pro might have been delayed to bump the specs once Scorpio was announced turned out to be false I think any talk of a Scorpio delay for spec increases will be false. I would've thought they'd have the hardware well and truly sewn up by now, contracts in place with AMD and production schedules laid out. If they're still saying holiday 2017 now then I'd expect it to be true.

If anything the benefits of increased IPC by Zen would probably be leveraged to lower the power consumption (via lower clocks) in a console.

If there is a little bump in performance at this point it just mean that they are setting definitive clocks, like they did in the past.

Any change in the architecture at this point it´s wishful thinking or suicidal for MS at this point in time.

From their first announcement to recent statements they've always said that Project Scorpio will be released this holiday season. Just as the talk that the PS4 Pro might have been delayed to bump the specs once Scorpio was announced turned out to be false I think any talk of a Scorpio delay for spec increases will be false. I would've thought they'd have the hardware well and truly sewn up by now, contracts in place with AMD and production schedules laid out. If they're still saying holiday 2017 now then I'd expect it to be true.
Phil tweeted something to the effect of played his first Scorpio game on actual hardware last month I believe. That would indicate hardware is well and truly locked in. Clocks may differ but hardware features must be also locked.

AMd Vega stream going on RIGHT THIS SECOND as I type this

Dont know how much juicy stuff will be in it. Relevant to Scorpio I guess.

AMd Vega stream going on RIGHT THIS SECOND as I type this

Dont know how much juicy stuff will be in it. Relevant to Scorpio I guess.
really shocked at how little AMD has actually given out in terms of real information about the GPU.

While AMD didn't show off any new GPU's they did talk about some of the new features of Vega. Wonder if this tech will make it into Scorpio?

AMD-Vega-GPU-Architecture-Details.png

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-GPU-Architecture_High-Bandwidth-Cache-Controller.png

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-GPU-Architecture_Tress-FX-NCU-RPM.png

hmmm - interesting. simple reading comprehension is now a rabbit hole. I guess that explains quite a bit of the internet.

It is when we've had pages upon pages of discussions about it without getting anything clear. It is pointless to relive that discussion when nothing has changed.

Well Scorpio looks more and more like a new generation and not a mid generation update at all...

Windows Central is going to have a podcast this weekend where they will discuss GDC, dont get hopes up but they're hinting a bit could be Scorpio stuff in that.

Well Scorpio looks more and more like a new generation and not a mid generation update at all...
What new information could possibly make you say that.

If you're thinking of HBCC, it won't help much on a unified memory like a console.

Last edited:
What new information could possibly make you say that.

If you're thinking of HBCC, it won't help much on a unified memory like a console.
Interesting, I'm not sure I would jump directly to this conclusion just because it's unified. HBCC according to the diagrams support more than just Memory... there is a link pointing to network storage.

And we still don't know how it operates. I'm thinking you're implying that pointer swaps would be sufficient for a unified memory perspective. But that doesn't cut down memory access stalling.

AMD isn’t just relying on HBM2 for traditional memory, however. Vega will also introduce two new, HBM2-related features: A High Bandwidth Cache, and High Bandwidth Cache Controller.
So caches as far as I know, are usually operating much faster than RAM, I feel like someone will find an exception here, but this is the extent of my knowledge of caches. Keep as much as possible in L1, if not L2. If not than L3. I guess if not that? HBC?

The HBC and HBCC give Vega a large (in comparison to on-die caches, though exact size isn’t known) memory pool that it can use in a variety of ways. AMD isn’t giving out the exact details on how this cache functions yet, but the goal is to enable fine-grained data movement and keep important data local to the GPU without having to pull it out of memory. It can also be accessed without stalling other workloads — normally the GPU will stall if pulling texture data out of main memory, whereas AMD’s HBCC avoids this problem.
To me this implies to me that unified memory would still benefit from this.

Last edited:
Phil tweeted something to the effect of played his first Scorpio game on actual hardware last month I believe. That would indicate hardware is well and truly locked in. Clocks may differ but hardware features must be also locked.[
Interesting, I'm not sure I would jump directly to this conclusion just because it's unified. HBCC according to the diagrams support more than just Memory... there is a link pointing to network storage.

And we still don't know how it operates. I'm thinking you're implying that pointer swaps would be sufficient for a unified memory perspective. But that doesn't cut down memory access stalling.

So caches as far as I know, are usually operating much faster than RAM, I feel like someone will find an exception here, but this is the extent of my knowledge of caches. Keep as much as possible in L1, if not L2. If not than L3. I guess if not that? HBC?

Replacing the CPUs could mean a lot of work but since MS is supposedly reworking the the memory controller it wouldn't be insane to think they can use some form of AMD bandwidth management to gain a significant edge in terms of performance.

It seems to me that HBCC refers to a feature that enables using the higher performance local video memory that is on board a graphics card or GPU package more intelligently. Since Scorpio is probably not going to have a separate pool of memory dedicated to the GPU, this feature probably doesn't apply.

RPM will almost certainly be in there, though, if it's what I think it is, since it's in the PS4 Pro's APU.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amds-...mprove-performance-by-almost-100-minimum-fps/
In order to showcase the benefits of High-Bandwidth Controller Cache, AMD showcased Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s in-game benchmark running with and without High-Bandwidth Controller Cache. AMD limited the amount of VRAM that was available for this application to 2GB (so that it can better showcase the benefits of this new memory architecture).
[..]
This new memory architecture will definitely help gamers overcome VRAM limitations, especially when gaming at really high resolutions (such as 4K resolutions). Do note the GPUs should be powerful enough to handle games in 4K, and this feature won’t magically improve your experience if you are not VRAM limited.
4zKAOMN.jpg

This stuff just sounds like 'Esram PC Edition'...if anything isn't Microsoft going in the opposite direction with Scorpio??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back