Motorstorm 2

Oh MY HEAVENS is the open-world racing way more fun. Who needs yet another track-based game to go along with the billion other track-based games...? I like Motorstorm a lot because it pulled back from narrow-track racing to offer something more, and Burnout Paradise went a step further. (Similarly, Fuel looks like it will rock out completely.)

You get mixed up at first, sure, but you play more. Then you learn the lay of the land. Then you learn the shortcuts. You're rewarded for your versatility, for strategic route planning, for quick-thinking if the situation changes...

It's just hot. You're very much missing out.

Ya, but it requires you put hours into it. People who are working, like me, would like to have a 20 min reckless race and not feel like a lost Nemo while at it. I did enjoy the exploration in the demo after I started finding stunts and Billboards to crash, but the racing fun was sorely missing!

The lighting looks FANTASTIC in the Mudslide video!!! The only complaint I have is that it seems smashing into a sheet metal fence is enough to stop the force of a fast moving car. I understand it's a game, but that's a little silly. Still, day 1!

Pft. Just as I thought. Hardly any mud deformation...and in a track called Mudslide as well! What's that all about? Engine's gone backwards.

I'd rather take the game as it is now than MS1. The mud deformation was cool, but not THAT cool. The car deformation is much better this time around, which seemed to be the focus of MS1, since the crashes were in fact the high light.

I think it's far better now as it is, with varied environments, improved lighting, more cars, and better vehicle deformation, than "look, we have cool mud!".

Different strokes though, not everyone has the sames tastes :)

Pft. Just as I thought. Hardly any mud deformation...and in a track called Mudslide as well! What's that all about? Engine's gone backwards.

:LOL: The first game's mud deformation was pretty subtle too. Did they really gimp it in MS2 or just keep it the same ?

I'd rather take the game as it is now than MS1. The mud deformation was cool, but not THAT cool. The car deformation is much better this time around, which seemed to be the focus of MS1, since the crashes were in fact the high light.

I think it's far better now as it is, with varied environments, improved lighting, more cars, and better vehicle deformation, than "look, we have cool mud!".

Different strokes though, not everyone has the sames tastes :)

Meh. Crap ground textures can be improved by great mud.

I thought that the mud-deformation in MS1 was completely pointless. I loved the idea if it actually impacted your driving, but it really didn't seem to ...

I thought that the mud-deformation in MS1 was completely pointless. I loved the idea if it actually impacted your driving, but it really didn't seem to ...

It looked amazing. Plus you skidded around on it loads...it really impacted your driving a lot and different vehicles could do well in it (don't take a bike in the mud!)

I'll wait until I get to play the full game before I drop an opinion on whether deformation is "downgraded" this time around.
Its still a buy in my book.

The idea is great, but Motorstorm really leans toward the floaty arcade mechanics that are very forgiving so it doesn't seem to mesh well. If they had tightened up the driving so that the mud ruts taking you offer your line, or worse, impacted your race time and hence race position it would be a significant gameplay mechanic. As is, the game from my short experience is forgiving enough for the majority of players, and the vehicles floaty enough, that it just didn't seem to be that important.

I think it clearly impacted driving, however, for the most part the vehicles affected weren't suitable for mud anyway, meaning player rarely drives in mud to notice anything.

It looked amazing. Plus you skidded around on it loads...it really impacted your driving a lot and different vehicles could do well in it (don't take a bike in the mud!)

Eh, I gotta agree with Arwin, it was pretty superficial. The impact it had was minimal on anything car sized or larger, and smaller than that you generally stuck to the high ground where it was dry.

It was pretty, but I'll gladly take the increased car counts, split screen, and varied environments over mud, anyday. There was a reason that MS1 was barren, after all.

Trees+light = way better than mud + dust.

The idea is great, but Motorstorm really leans toward the floaty arcade mechanics that are very forgiving so it doesn't seem to mesh well. If they had tightened up the driving so that the mud ruts taking you offer your line, or worse, impacted your race time and hence race position it would be a significant gameplay mechanic. As is, the game from my short experience is forgiving enough for the majority of players, and the vehicles floaty enough, that it just didn't seem to be that important.

It did all of that when i was playing. It really did depend on which vehicle you used. Had a mud plugger? Easy. On a bike? Almost impossible.

Back