Motorstorm 2

It did all of that when i was playing. It really did depend on which vehicle you used. Had a mud plugger? Easy. On a bike? Almost impossible.

Yea, it did certainly effect your vehicle, but at the same time it also dictated the route you took. When you were on a bike you KNEW not to get in the mud. Though it seemed that the only negative effect you had in a bike was a massive reduction of speed and more difficulty turning tightly.

Yea, it did certainly effect your vehicle, but at the same time it also dictated the route you took. When you were on a bike you KNEW not to get in the mud. Though it seemed that the only negative effect you had in a bike was a massive reduction of speed and more difficulty turning tightly.

And what else do you think Mud would do to your bike? In the real world it would slow you down and be slippery...

I think it clearly impacted driving, however, for the most part the vehicles affected weren't suitable for mud anyway, meaning player rarely drives in mud to notice anything.

Well, yes, that could be the case also. I remember driving some off-road go-carts though and the ruts in the turns got so deep that if you didn't pay attention, they'd launch you, you'd lose traction and disappeared off the track in a straight line. That kind of thing really didn't seem to be in the game. Hopefully one day ... but not now, clearly.

I think there are more mud action in MS2. One of the trailers showed the player sank into thick mud (muddy water ?) and had to respawn.

Sooooo, whoose first to download the newly uploaded MS2 demo on the PS Store? And more to the point......Will it be the same build we`ve been previously been playing?

Sooooo, whoose first to download the newly uploaded MS2 demo on the PS Store? And more to the point......Will it be the same build we`ve been previously been playing?

I just logged on and don't see it?

NM. It's up on the Europa page. Downloading now. 617mb.

I played through the demo a few times with all the vehicles. It's pretty much MS1 with new tracks, it'd seem. The controls felt the same. The "replays" look very good but not so much when you're actually racing. What's with the horrible ground textures? The tires on the vehicles look plastic as can be. This is most evident when you pick the monster truck. Also, the terrain deformation is poor. There was some rally game a little while back that had excellent terrain deforming. Pick a bike and do donuts in diff areas and you'll see no deformation. The vegetation doesn't deform either. You can run it over all day and it'll remain. I thought they would make some major advances in this area. Pure demo was certainly better than this.

It's pretty much MS1 with new tracks, it'd seem. The controls felt the same.

That's how sequels work. If you don't like MS1, you should probably give up on MS2. I loved MS1, so doubling the tracks, having the huge variety in environments, split screen, etc. is all good IMO.

The demo is a pretty old build too.

BTW I hear Gears 2 involves shooting bad guys from cover, think Gears 1 with new maps. ;)

I played through the demo a few times with all the vehicles. It's pretty much MS1 with new tracks, it'd seem. The controls felt the same.

The demo is very similar to MS1 except for split screen.
* If you read the thread, you'd know that bike handling has been dumbed down
* Monster truck has more momentum than the long vehicles in MS1.

The "replays" look very good but not so much when you're actually racing. What's with the horrible ground textures? The tires on the vehicles look plastic as can be. This is most evident when you pick the monster truck.

I actually think that the demo "replays" look ok (so-so compared to the "80% complete" gameplay trailers we saw). Visuals has improved in the real game.

Also, the terrain deformation is poor. There was some rally game a little while back that had excellent terrain deforming. Pick a bike and do donuts in diff areas and you'll see no deformation. The vegetation doesn't deform either. You can run it over all day and it'll remain.

That's because you're not familiar with MotorStorm's game design. Bike does not cause terrain deformation. The heavier vehicles do. :) It was intended as a balance between slow vehicles and nimble bikes. Still, as others have pointed out, the effect is rather subtle (It's more slippery, so you can't run too fast).

There are also more terrain features (e.g., Lava areas cause booster to heat up, water zones cools down vehicle, soft areas will hamper speed or even caused them to sink).

I thought they would make some major advances in this area. Pure demo was certainly better than this.

You're missing out quite a few information about MotorStorm 2 (e.g., plants that can stop/bounce smaller vehicles, better physics). MotorStorm core gameplay is wickedly fun and proven in MS1. I don't see a need to change there. They may want to add a non-rubberbanding AI and it'd be perfect for everyone. The technical enhancements, big and small, are sprinkled throughout the game.

Even though MotorStorm has industry leading visuals and physics, I think it is missing the point altogether if you forget about its gameplay and fun factor. That's what sets it apart from other racing games IMHO. While advancements in terrain are certainly present in MS2, they should not overshadow gameplay. I think as long as Evolution continues to nail the gameplay, it will remain on top.

Here's a reminder of MS gameplay: http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/965107/motorstorm-pacific-rift/videos/motorstorm_01_082008.html ^_^

I played through the demo a few times with all the vehicles. It's pretty much MS1 with new tracks, it'd seem. The controls felt the same. The "replays" look very good but not so much when you're actually racing. What's with the horrible ground textures? The tires on the vehicles look plastic as can be. This is most evident when you pick the monster truck. Also, the terrain deformation is poor. There was some rally game a little while back that had excellent terrain deforming. Pick a bike and do donuts in diff areas and you'll see no deformation. The vegetation doesn't deform either. You can run it over all day and it'll remain. I thought they would make some major advances in this area. Pure demo was certainly better than this.

...if I take a motorcycle out on dry land with solid dirt and do donuts, there's a lot of dust, not ruts and deformation. If I remember the demo correctly, there's no mud in that stage...

I'm not missing anything Patsu. The Pure demo is much better. The handling/visuals/textures/etc. are all better in Pure. Either way, enjoy MS2. When you do donuts on a bike in the dirt in the same area repeatedly, you'll certainly notice the difference in terms of grooves and kick up. In MS2 there is NO difference on the ground. How much experience both of you have on bikes again?

MS demo is old build. See the link I posted above for 80% build :)

I'm sorry I don't understand the point of doing donuts on the spot. It contributes nothing to gameplay. Once the honk sounds, everyone races frantically towards the finish line. That's what counts (Who wants to remain at the starting point doing donuts ? :LOL:). Yes, terrain deformation will affect other players and vice versa, plants will fight back, water will cool the engine but slows down the vehicle, enemies will try to stop you or punch you, etc..

Btw, you might want to heed tha_con's post too. In MotorStorm, the amount of deformation also depends on the wetness of the ground. The demo's landscape is dry as far as I can remember.

I'm not missing anything Patsu. The Pure demo is much better. The handling/visuals/textures/etc. are all better in Pure. Either way, enjoy MS2. When you do donuts on a bike in the dirt in the same area repeatedly, you'll certainly notice the difference in terms of grooves and kick up. In MS2 there is NO difference on the ground. How much experience both of you have on bikes again?

I'm sorry, are you bringing up the realism card for an arcadish racer?

You're acctually missing a hell of a lot.

I guess they were working on making the game more fun...:rolleyes:. Seriously, after the first game, the things people were asking for most were split-screen support and more tracks. I dont think improved track deformation was one of the things requested by many fans.

I played the Pure demo, and while it looks better, there doesnt appear to be much depth to the gameplay with its emphasis on tricks. Also, as others have stated, the Motorstorm demo is apparently an old build.

I guess they were working on making the game more fun...:rolleyes:. Seriously, after the first game, the things people were asking for most were split-screen support and more tracks. I dont think improved track deformation was one of the things requested by many fans.

I played the Pure demo, and while it looks better, there doesnt appear to be much depth to the gameplay with its emphasis on tricks. Also, as others have stated, the Motorstorm demo is apparently an old build.

Very old. Looks 60% to me (based on builds we've seen)

Back