First Killzone screenshot/details? So says USAToday..

The "Lean & Peak" mechanic looks way cool. It seems after PDZ & Rainbow Six: Vegas that someone has done a proper cover model while staying in first person. It looks good. By far the most impressive gameplay mechanic or design I have seen in KZ2 yet. The feature actually excited me because interaction is a big limitation in FPS.

What like gears? (with it's use of practically every shade of brown imaginable!?)

:LOL: :LOL:

And yet Gears has far more colors demonstrated than KZ2. And Gears was a drab game itself, as you noted.

KZ2 is almost uniformly mettalic gray and black. It makes gears look sunny and lighthearted.

I know you think I was attacking KZ2 and had to rush to it's defense, but I wasn't. The grittiness is part of what makes it so awesome if they handle it right.

The "Lean & Peak" mechanic looks way cool. It seems after PDZ & Rainbow Six: Vegas that someone has done a proper cover model while staying in first person. It looks good. By far the most impressive gameplay mechanic or design I have seen in KZ2 yet. The feature actually excited me because interaction is a big limitation in FPS.

I am struck by the realism, not only the visuals but the way the enemies behave when shot up. They seem to capture the sense of weight really well. The bullets feel painful. I hope GG won't get into trouble with anti-violence groups.

I think the cover system, weapon handling, destructible environment and smart NPC/enemy AI complement each other. Then the weather, lighting and level design set the pace and mood.

At the moment, I am most interested in their AI. Since the lights are dynamic, they can be knocked out right ? How would the AI react ?

Very very cool. Check out the GameSpot killzone presentation. One of the things to note is the health indicator -- no health bar. Throughout the presentation you can see it in action as the demonstrator gets shot up. The screen desaturates (and supposedly motion blurring kicks in) as the player goes into critical condition.

Nice change from the traditional numerical health indicator, and seeing it in action puts to rest the skepticisms I had about the way they'd be communicating such vital information.

i do prefer the new health indicator rather than the old health bar etc, but that has been done in several games lately. GRAW2, R6 Vegas, CoD2/3 for example.

i do prefer the new health indicator rather than the old health bar etc, but that has been done in several games lately. GRAW2, R6 Vegas, CoD2/3 for example.
I thought GRAW 2 just had a health bar?

this game looks good but the screen tearing needs to decrease and the textures need a lot of work. I like that they're doing a first-person cover system but that just makes it more obvious..it'll likely be taken care of though since the game's a year away.

and I also agree that the game actually looks a little too monotone. when they took off the post-processing effects you could see the environments colors looked as varied as they should be but it was the post-processing that made it look too dark. they said that it changes depending on the environment and the mood they want to set so there's probably some levels that don't look so metallic/dark.

The vids show the post-processing clearly adjusting pixels by depth, which addresses some of our concerns. But I have to say, clever as the internal lens reflection effect is, it looks completely out of place to me. It's an FPS where you're essentially playing a person. The camera movement is very organic. So why would you get lens reflections? The blue and orange splodges just looked totally out of place to me, and distracted from the graphics. I hope they have them optional.

The vids show the post-processing clearly adjusting pixels by depth, which addresses some of our concerns. But I have to say, clever as the internal lens reflection effect is, it looks completely out of place to me. It's an FPS where you're essentially playing a person. The camera movement is very organic. So why would you get lens reflections? The blue and orange splodges just looked totally out of place to me, and distracted from the graphics. I hope they have them optional.

'Cause they look purty in screenshots?

I personally find them rather distracting.

The weathersystem might be mighty cool.
Are we gonna feel the wind, just like we "feel" gunshots? Right now the wind blurs where it blows and maybe they should add some more debris around?

Wonder if they will add rain and snow-effects, that would be nice, especially if it's affected by the wind.

I thought GRAW 2 just had a health bar?

this game looks good but the screen tearing needs to decrease and the textures need a lot of work. I like that they're doing a first-person cover system but that just makes it more obvious..it'll likely be taken care of though since the game's a year away.

and I also agree that the game actually looks a little too monotone. when they took off the post-processing effects you could see the environments colors looked as varied as they should be but it was the post-processing that made it look too dark. they said that it changes depending on the environment and the mood they want to set so there's probably some levels that don't look so metallic/dark.

with the size of levels and the detail going into things like the lighting system and character detail, combat and destructible environments, i wouldnt expect better textures anytime soon. As powerful as people like to think the PS3 is, it doesnt have unlimited resources. Texture detail will be a little bit of a flaw since the colors all run together, but i dont think you'll really notice it beyond screenshots. You dont notice it at all in Bioshock but thats also helped by the variation of the levels. Still, as i already said some weeks ago, texture quality isnt nearly as important to FPS as it is to other games like RPGs.

The weathersystem might be mighty cool.
Are we gonna feel the wind, just like we "feel" gunshots? Right now the wind blurs where it blows and maybe they should add some more debris around?

:LOL: I was thinking about the weather system from a different angle.
How will the AI react to it ? It would be a sad thing if they have all the right visuals and audio feedback, but the AI carry on as usual. I also hope that it's deeper than just a "weather gun".

Where do you see "the wind blurs where it blows" ? I want to see for myself.

As powerful as people like to think the PS3 is, it doesnt have unlimited resources.

I think it depends more on how the developers prioritize and budget their development resources.

Last edited by a moderator:
:LOL: I was thinking about the weather system from a different angle.
How will the AI react to it ? It would be a sad thing if they have all the right visuals and audio feedback, but the AI carry on as usual. I also hope that it's deeper than just a "weather gun".

Where do you see "the wind blurs where it blows" ? I want to see for myself.
It would be cool coming from inside a building and getting outside the wind "grabs you", walking down an alley and past an opening where there is a drag etc etc. I don't think that has been done well before?
If you here the sound blows you should feel it also i think.

This screenshot might show it, or it's just blur by moving.Not quite sure
Some spots in this one is blurred.
+
This comment from Tempy (GG).
I don't think it's totally obvious to people yet, but the whole level is supposed to be quite windy (it's storming and you can see lightning strikes all over the place). The "wind effect" is done by some kind of blurring, which is why the area near the ground is blurry - it's not supposed to be a depthfield thing as you can see the geometry further away looking sharper. Perhaps more clear in motion. I think it needs a bit more flying stuff, like paper, ember, etc - it's a work in progress

Last edited by a moderator:
Another point of concern I have - what sets this game apart? The developer demonstration had me thinking 'yet another FPS'. I'm not a fan of the genre so maybe I miss the subtle nuances, in the same way all red wine tastes the same to me, but all I see is identical game mechanics to every other shooter. There's different weapons which all do the same basic task, and you run and take cover and shoot. How is this different to every other shooter? Or putting it another way, if you already have GeOW or R:FoM, why would you buy this? Is it just for the visuals?

How is this different to every other shooter? Or putting it another way, if you already have GeOW or R:FoM, why would you buy this? Is it just for the visuals?
Cause visuals can greatly enhance the gameplay experience, if graphics is used to display a believable world and to give a solid background (pun intended) to the story.
I wouldn't have enjoyed Halo that much if it had been a crappy looking game, I wouldn't haven been immersed in the <Halo universe>.
So what we have here is potential for great game, now we should just let guerilla guys and gals do their job, as the game is not going to ship next month.

Back