The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i get the chance to race my cosworth you get to learn how to drive like a race driver and post quick times ( I suck, my times are just fast because of the cars straight line power ) with GT i drive cars in the game like i would drive my cosworth but with one key difference, BRAKING. In GT you can Brake ANYWARE, any bend, any corner half way though corners and bends. You do that in real life and its either good bye nice shiny car or a spin-out. Another thing you dont get in GT is the fear, ive lost count the amount of times ive shit my pants going round tracks or round corners slightly faster then i wanted to, in GT that fear does'nt exist because you know its a game. Thats why GT does'nt feel right, thats why lap times in GT are always faster then real life, because GT does'nt portray the feeling and the fear of real life.

It's not as simple as that, that was just an example. The racing cars are too stable, just because they have slicks does not make a 600bhp, >1000Kg car handle like it's on rails. The racing cars are just too compliant, if anything they are easier to drive than many of the standard road cars, which is wrong!

:???: So a race car with full camber/castor, toe in and toe out and loads of other geomtry settings with near perfect weight ditribution and loads of grip should be harder to drive then a normal car? NO mate, if you can handle the speed then a race car will be ALOT easier to drive because its BUILT to tackle race tracks with ease. Compare that to a normal car, piss poor weight distribution, rubbish tryes with no suspension geomtry adjustments, no aero dynamics the list is endless.

He's not saying a race car should be harder to handle at the same speed. It's obvious that a race car is piece of cake to handle at 60mph compared to a Miata. He's saying it should be harder to push to the limit, i.e. to race. I know he said "drive" but it's pretty clear to me that this is what he meant.

Whatever car you're racing, the basic principles for a fast lap time are simple: Take the optimal line, and drive at the traction limit. True, the latter affects the former and in many stretches you can't reach the traction limit due to lack of horsepower. Nonetheless, those two are necessary for success in racing.

If driving a normal car at the traction limit is like walking a balance beam, doing it in a race car is like jogging on a tightrope. Everything is happening so much faster and it's so much easier to make a mistake. It's a lot easier to brake or accelerate too much, losing traction. When you do, recovery is more difficult. This is not only due to more speed (hence bigger error for a given reaction time), but I'm pretty sure the loss in traction is greater, i.e. the coefficients of static and kinetic friction have a greater difference with racing tires.

I have no doubt they intend on having multiple cars per track, but until we see the corresponding content, I'd say it's a legitimate concern--Not whether or not Polyphony has taken it into account, but to what extent and how they will handle it.

I'd just like to go ahead and follow up with this.

Great, yet more tarted up shots.. :rolleyes:

Yeah, PD has to stop showering us with tarted up shots. It's getting ridiculous.

On another note, I notice only 8 cars at once. Hopefully they manage to bump it up to 12 for Prologue, and otherwise at least for GT5 (preferably for Prologue already though, the more the merrier).

Great, yet more tarted up shots.. :rolleyes:
Looks about as good as the trailer they showed to me.

Obviously they have done something as I'm quite sure the PS3 doesn't output 900x1600 but they are accurate representations of what the trailer looked like.

There are far worse bullshot artists in the World.

Guys, is there a chance that GT5 trailer was realtime? 'Cos it looks photorealistic , and totaly off the charts to me.. But... 1UP's Shane saed in their podcast yesterday that he talked with polyphony devs. And quote:

"I talked to the guys who work down there and that was all from version coming this november. And like thing with going in to the car and out from the car, you can do that, move the camera. It has full online play."
Podcast link, @ 59minute mark.

There is one more hint that it was realtime, but no proof that post is legit. Yet.

What do you think?

I think it was 100% realtime.

GT HD doesn't look much worse than what they showed.

It's not like it it's moved from average looking game to stunning, it was already stunning and it looks like they tweaked it so it looks more realistic.

Guys, is there a chance that GT5 trailer was realtime? 'Cos it looks photorealistic , and totaly off the charts to me.. But... 1UP's Shane saed in their podcast yesterday that he talked with polyphony devs. And quote:

"I talked to the guys who work down there and that was all from version coming this november. And like thing with going in to the car and out from the car, you can do that, move the camera. It has full online play."
Podcast link, @ 59minute mark.

There is one more hint that it was realtime, but no proof that post is legit. Yet.

What do you think?
If thats realtime too then I ll faint

H
The biggest things GT lacks in terms of simulation are laws of physics that can not be applied in a game no matter how you see it. And of course the occasional nitpicking. Although I must say that after I played GT4 at a Mitsubishi's booth inside a sim cabinet (applied more physics elements), it was super realistic. It felt like a totally different game.

As far as physics and realism that can be applied in a game for perfection, only if our systems were super computers we would have gotten that perfection.

For a title that features so many types of cars, the amount of cars, the amount of terrains and driving circumstances, PD has actually proven that they are more than good at delivering sim games. There are way too many resources put into various parts of the game, that I find it wondrous how they have managed to make the sim aspect of the game at least as good as they have done.

Your basically saying that the reason GT is not a proper simulation game is because of lack of super cumputer consoles? That and making excuses for why its not as good as other games in the "simulation" part? Yes it has a ton of cars, that should not be an excuse for being less realistic. Its not as good simulation as other games end leave it at that. Its still the best "driving"game.

There is plenty of simulation games that have better\more realistic physics.

What do you think?
Seemed realtime to me. The cars what really capture you, and we know PD do cars like no-one else. We also know these consoles have the shader power to pull off awesome cars - far easier to do than realistic people which is the usual centre of focus!! There was also quite a limit on number of cars, and the scenery didn't strike me as anything beyond seen elsewhere, although I haven't checked a proper direct HD trailer yet, so I may have missed something.

Your basically saying that the reason GT is not a proper simulation game is because of lack of super cumputer consoles? That and making excuses for why its not as good as other games in the "simulation" part? Yes it has a ton of cars, that should not be an excuse for being less realistic. Its not as good simulation as other games end leave it at that. Its still the best "driving"game.

There is plenty of simulation games that have better\more realistic physics.

Read carefully the whole post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back