The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it for what you will, but according to AlphaSnake on GAF, he has this issue of the magazine, and the interview is supposedly 3+ months old - made before Kaz commented in subsequent interviews that damage modelling would be in for race cars.

I guess I'd take a wait-and-see attitude on that, though. It still sounds like they're figuring it out themselves.

As for the 'delay', the game hasn't even been technically announced yet, certainly no release date has been announced. The timeframe specified there (Spring-Fall 08) would fall within expectations, though.

Anyone seen this, and if so is it reliable?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167050

I though they had car damage for race cars.
The people who right these articles should be more careful with their observations

They wonder why GT5 might not have car damage since other games had it. Well if they paid attention they would have understood that Yamauchi wants actual realistic damage not the half assed damage presented in PGR and Forza just for the sakes of being there.

Also GT5 is going to have 700+ cars. Imagine the pains they will have to go through to get the apporpriate permission for all of the cars from the manufacturers.

Neither Forza or PGR have realistic damage or the amount of cars that will probably make it into GT5.

And the creators of Forza admitted the difficulties they had to go through to atleast put the damage in the game

Anyone seen this, and if so is it reliable?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167050

I though they had car damage for race cars.
Well, there is some good news and some bad news there. First, the bad news:

- no damage is quite disappointing. If there isn't cosmetic damage, innards damage should be featured at least. afaik the game features damage but it's only on the race cars, right?

- I still don't trust PD. Imho, they are not talented enough to produce good SIM racers.

The good news:

- since they are pushing the game back to late 2008, and Sony is willing to help setting an example of proffesionalism, the more time the better.

- less cars than in GT4; woot! the more cars, the less the game feels like a good driving simulator. Very few people would like to drive a Perodua Kelisa or a Smart, for instance.

It's the only game that would encourage me to buy a PS3, just if PD improves the simulation aspect of the game but, truth be told, it's so unlikely.

Finally, we may get a first glimpse of GT5 at E3 or -if not- hopefully by the end of the year as there's supposedly meant to be a GT5 Prologue like there was with GT4 but unlike the latter it will be released worldwide in November or December maybe?

PD have proven that they can make a great looking game, but not necessarily that they can make a good simulation. A lot of the newer iterations of GT have also been slightly disappointing because they haven't been adding a lot of new things to the game. This isn't to say that they make a bad game, or that they are a bad dev, but their games are consider sim-lite by many.

PD have proven that they can make a great looking game, but not necessarily that they can make a good simulation. A lot of the newer iterations of GT have also been slightly disappointing because they haven't been adding a lot of new things to the game. This isn't to say that they make a bad game, or that they are a bad dev, but their games are consider sim-lite by many.

Havent been adding new things to the game is completely irrelevant with the simulation aspect of the game. The simulation genre doesnt offer huge room for new ideas, features and improvements either.

In terms of physics there were improvements though.

Also AFAIK the Gran Turismo series wasnt famous mainly for its visuals either.

Actually there are even more people that consider it as one of the most complete racers than the "many" that consider it as simply a "sim-litte" good looking game. That includes pro drivers as well. It was also one of the few games that got 10/10 in Edge magazine in 1998 in a time where probably only 3 games won such a score until then (including Super Mario 64). As of today only 5 games managed a perfect score

The biggest things GT lacks in terms of simulation are laws of physics that can not be applied in a game no matter how you see it. And of course the occasional nitpicking. Although I must say that after I played GT4 at a Mitsubishi's booth inside a sim cabinet (applied more physics elements), it was super realistic. It felt like a totally different game.

As far as physics and realism that can be applied in a game for perfection, only if our systems were super computers we would have gotten that perfection.

For a title that features so many types of cars, the amount of cars, the amount of terrains and driving circumstances, PD has actually proven that they are more than good at delivering sim games. There are way too many resources put into various parts of the game, that I find it wondrous how they have managed to make the sim aspect of the game at least as good as they have done.

Now that some sources imply so many features for such a costy to develop racing game, that might even push the release towards the end of 2008 or further, the only thing I can say is that PD are probably the most dedicated and stubborn developers at offering the best possible simulator with as many features as possible.

By no means what we get is a result of laziness or lack of talent. These people live literally inside their offices because of too much work.

I assume he says that because GT is very uneven in the physics world, some things they do brilliantly but other things are not to the same standard.

For example weight transfer is handled very well but then (because it's a console game) they use velcro tyres as default, which then destroy the realistic arua. There is also the problem where powerful rear wheel drive cars will not break away at the back end...

Compared to PC sims like rFactor, GTR/ 2 and GTL, GT is "sim-lite".

I assume he says that because GT is very uneven in the physics world, some things they do brilliantly but other things are not to the same standard.

For example weight transfer is handled very well but then (because it's a console game) they use velcro tyres as default, which then destroy the realistic arua. There is also the problem where powerful rear wheel drive cars will not break away at the back end...

Compared to PC sims like rFactor, GTR/ 2 and GTL, GT is "sim-lite".

The man speaks the truth.

After years thrashing GT 1 - 4, I got reminded how real sim felt after playing GTR2.

Well stcik the simulation tyres on the cars then, changes the game completely. ;)

Well stcik the simulation tyres on the cars then, changes the game completely. ;)

The problem is that GT requires you to know the quirks of the game (super rubber on the tires) before you can even start to do things accurately. The system also seems to break at high speeds. The fastest cars in the game are something like 50-100 mph faster than their real life counterparts, and the record for the nurb is about a minute and a half faster than in real life.

GT is a fun game, but it is off by too much in too many places for me to call it a true sim (and this is ignoring the bugs, as each game has its own).

The fastest cars in the game are something like 50-100 mph faster than their real life counterparts

And which cars might that be? you sure those cars weren't tuned ?

Last edited by a moderator:
you and Swanlee must have no social life at all, doesn't it get tiring registering all over the place and shitting on anything Sony related ?

Not quite sure what you are talking about with this. As far as Sony goes, I am with them on some things and against on others. Heavenly Sword, God of War, the new Lair stuff (although that game can't seem to decide whether to look good or not) and the PSP I am pretty positive about. Gran Turismo, Killzone, Home and PSN I am not too impressed with. Overall I just think Sony has done a lot of stupid things this gen (pricing, not coming out with a console that is flat out better than the 360...) and that is why I am negative.

And which cars might that be? you sure those cars weren't tuned ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iYkQux_eTI&mode=related&search=

That is a car (they didn't say which one) reaching 430MPH.

According to wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_cars) the current record belongs to the Bugatti Veyron at 250MPH. If you are going to argue that some cars might realistically go faster, then a look at the land speed records (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record) shows this beating some turbojet vehicles.

It's not as simple as that, that was just an example. The racing cars are too stable, just because they have slicks does not make a 600bhp, >1000Kg car handle like it's on rails. The racing cars are just too compliant, if anything they are easier to drive than many of the standard road cars, which is wrong!

I have the impression that some people have experienced Gran Turismo in arcade mode (or played it a bit at a friends house) and think they are qualified to talk about the game's every mode and every feature as if they know it perfectly just from that

I have the impression that some people have experienced Gran Turismo in arcade mode (or played it a bit at a friends house) and think they are qualified to talk about the game's every mode and every feature as if they know it perfectly just from that

If that's aimed at me, I've got GT1-4 and the Driving Force Pro (got it with GT4 on relase day) and i'm a big fan of the GT series (including GT4), and can't wait for GT5.

However since playing sims on my PC such as Live 4 speed, rFactor, GTR, GTR2 and GTLegends (with said DFP), I can't help but notice what GT doesn't do right.

None of the sims are perfect, but together with experence of my own car and that of carting you can easily see what's wrong with GT.

If that's aimed at me, I've got GT1-4 and the Driving Force Pro (got it with GT4 on relase day) and i'm a big fan of the GT series (including GT4), and can't wait for GT5.

However since playing sims on my PC such as Live 4 speed, rFactor, GTR, GTR2 and GTLegends (with said DFP), I can't help but notice what GT doesn't do right.

None of the sims are perfect, but together with experence of my own car and that of carting you can easily see what's wrong with GT.

Nah it wasnt aimed at you. I was generally speaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back