The GT5 expectation thread (including preview titles)*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the problem as it turns out is that you do not know the difference between physical and physics, which makes your first paragraph completely different than what you really meant to say.

Then the actual physics part rant is still imo a rather bad rant, seeing how we got games today with better physics models for car simulation, and they do not need supercomputers to run..

Once again you are trying to force to the other person what YOU want to talk about or point out despite what the other person is actually saying

The replay in GT games are all in real-time using in-game engine. There are no graphically tricks

Of course I know they are real time but they add effects as Shifty mentioned. Also GT: HD replays runs at 30fps but about GT5 I cant be shure and neither can you since it isn't out and there is barely any graphical info about it! ;)

Lol, you answered one of my post and you didn't even read it to the end despite it's short length?! :oops:

Nebula said:
I am not impressed unless the cars to the left (GT5) are from the ingame not replay mode. Replay modes enhances the graphics quite a bit (as I have seen in GT:HD) and motion-blur makes one percieve the graphics as more realistic (hint: KZ2)!

Replay modes enhances the graphics quite a bit
The replay in GT games are all in real-time using in-game engine. There are no graphically tricks

Wait are we talking about GT:HD or GT3 and GT4?
-
-
Edit,
Thought you was talking about ALL GT games, my mistake

No problem friend! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I know they are real time but they add effects as Shifty mentioned. Also GT: HD replays runs at 30fps but about GT5 I cant be shure and neither can you since it isn't out and there is barely any graphical info about it! ;)

Well I haven't play GT:HD yet, so I don't know. But all the previous GT games that I've play(GT3 and GT4) use the EXACT same engine for replay and gameplay. The only "special effect" that I've notice is the annoying blurry "heat wave" effect found in GT3's replay us e to hide jaggies. Thank God it isn't in GT4 since GT4 have MUCH better AA.

It does not take a genious to understand that most of these pics can't be realtime.

Replay modes will/can always look better than race because the certain aspects are no longer "realtime".

I.e. the following would be baked/cached/recorded....

Physics
A.I

Not having to calculate the Physics itself would take quite a load of the system since it would all be pre-recorded data during Replay modes.... thus the CPU is free to add more "effects" during replays.

(this point has probably already been mentioned:p )

I'd say 2 pictures are probably not realtime, the rest definitely could be. There really isnt much of a difference between first person view and replays. Yes, they can add effects to replays, but generally GT5 is setup so that it can handle a large number of cars up-close from the in car or behind car views, and handle replay effects such as depth of field and motion blur from the camera. Then they can play around with the location and the amount of zoom that the camera can do to make sure the engine can keep up. In GT:HD, we were seeing very early code in 1080p/60 that wasn't yet optimised enough to handle the replay mode, but seemed to be coming along nicely in first person mode.

Traditionally, by looking at the replay data of GT games upto and including GT4 Prologue, I'm pretty sure that GT's replays consist of pretty much only the controller input and a number of checkpoints (apart from car settings and such). I don't see any reason why they would change this, as it is very efficient. Removing the physics and AI calculations would add almost as much work as it removes in that context.

In addition surely AI and most definatly Physics wouldn't be a huge overhead for the Cell processor anyway, I would have thought the graphics is whats going to be pushing the PS3, everything else (collisions, AI, car handling etc.) should be gravy for the Cell.

Actually thinking about it would it be possible for this type of game to use say 2 SPE's and PPE for Sound, animation, physics, AI etc, other gaming code and the rest for graphics, 1 SPE doing all the pre graphical work for RSX (culling etc), and 3 SPE's working in parallel to help RSX with the geometry (drawing)?

This might go some way to explain (together with talented devs, artists) why the graphics/trailer/SS look so good.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was my first thought too after reading the 180 days part. Why waste so much time on modelling a car instead of simply scanning it.

As far as that 180 days comment is true, doesnt that relate alot more to the actually programming of the cars than the modelling? because even I could model a whole car including intirior in 2 weeks with decent quality givin how little experiance I have vs someone who is doing this for a living. But programming the cars could take alot more effort as you have to have specific data on specific parts of the cars to make the handling as realistic as possible.

As far as that 180 days comment is true, doesnt that relate alot more to the actually programming of the cars than the modelling? because even I could model a whole car including intirior in 2 weeks with decent quality givin how little experiance I have vs someone who is doing this for a living. But programming the cars could take alot more effort as you have to have specific data on specific parts of the cars to make the handling as realistic as possible.

Yeah that should be it. They are doing test driving, and photo capturing as well and then there is the physics application and handling.

But at the same time he said a "one man's work". Apparently there should be more people working on each car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back